Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Manchin says he’ll vote against ‘partisan’ Dem elections bill

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,608
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 26 Times in 26 Posts

    Default Manchin says he’ll vote against ‘partisan’ Dem elections bill

    A key Democratic senator says he will not vote for the largest overhaul of U.S. election law in at least a generation, defying his party and the White House and virtually guaranteeing the failure of the legislation after a near party-line approval in the House.

    “Voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen,″ Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia wrote in a home-state newspaper, the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

    He said that failure to bring together both parties on voting legislation would “risk further dividing and destroying the republic we swore to protect and defend as elected officials.”

    The bill would restrict partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, strike down hurdles to voting and bring transparency to a murky campaign finance system that allows donors to anonymously bankroll political causes. Among dozens of other provisions, it would require states to offer 15 days of early voting and allow no-excuse absentee balloting.

    Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., told colleagues that he would bring the elections measure to a vote the week of June 21, in effect testing where senators stand. But without Manchin’s support, the bill is unlikely to garner even a majority. Republicans are united against it.

    Manchin said lawmakers should instead focus their energies on revitalizing the landmark Voting Rights Act, which was weakened by a Supreme Court decision in 2013. Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska has joined him in calling for that approach.

    Manchin’s opposition to the broader elections bill is just the latest challenge facing Democrats as they enter the summer work period under rising pressure to deliver on their promises to voters. Manchin reiterated he would not vote “weaken or eliminate the filibuster,” a route that many Democrats see as the only realistic path forward. The filibuster rule requires 60 votes to pass most bills, and in today’s Senate, which is split 50-50, that means many of the Democrats’ biggest priorities, from voting rights to gun control, are dead on arrival.

    Manchin and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., have frustrated their party by their defense of the filibuster. But they aren’t alone, with as many as 10 Democratic senators also reluctant to change the rules.

    https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...37c01c4cfdfb0f

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ziggy For This Post:

    dukkha (06-06-2021), evince (06-06-2021), ExpressLane (06-06-2021)

  3. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    49,820
    Thanks
    14,437
    Thanked 32,048 Times in 21,134 Posts
    Groans
    6
    Groaned 1,305 Times in 1,234 Posts

    Default

    Called it lol.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

    dukkha (06-06-2021), ExpressLane (06-06-2021), Stone (06-06-2021)

  5. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39,147
    Thanks
    11,515
    Thanked 21,737 Times in 15,141 Posts
    Groans
    241
    Groaned 1,514 Times in 1,430 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Called it lol.
    Manchin redeems himself -this is HR1/S1 I assume?
    There is hope for democracy yet!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

    Darth Omar (06-06-2021)

  7. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    9,848
    Thanks
    7,027
    Thanked 4,733 Times in 3,538 Posts
    Groans
    291
    Groaned 99 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Thank God.

  8. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39,147
    Thanks
    11,515
    Thanked 21,737 Times in 15,141 Posts
    Groans
    241
    Groaned 1,514 Times in 1,430 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Thank God.
    it's YUGE

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    10,248
    Thanks
    1,405
    Thanked 3,809 Times in 2,751 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 667 Times in 628 Posts

    Default

    Manchin is the one who is causing division with his weak excuses to obstruct the bill.

    He may as well just admit, "I am voting no so that I can be re-elected by my constituents that want me to vote no- even if it is wrong"!

  10. The Following User Groans At Geeko Sportivo For This Awful Post:

    PostmodernProphet (06-06-2021)

  11. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    28,583
    Thanks
    10,247
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    A key Democratic senator says he will not vote for the largest overhaul of U.S. election law in at least a generation, defying his party and the White House and virtually guaranteeing the failure of the legislation after a near party-line approval in the House.

    “Voting and election reform that is done in a partisan manner will all but ensure partisan divisions continue to deepen,″ Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia wrote in a home-state newspaper, the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

    He said that failure to bring together both parties on voting legislation would “risk further dividing and destroying the republic we swore to protect and defend as elected officials.”

    The bill would restrict partisan gerrymandering of congressional districts, strike down hurdles to voting and bring transparency to a murky campaign finance system that allows donors to anonymously bankroll political causes. Among dozens of other provisions, it would require states to offer 15 days of early voting and allow no-excuse absentee balloting.

    Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., told colleagues that he would bring the elections measure to a vote the week of June 21, in effect testing where senators stand. But without Manchin’s support, the bill is unlikely to garner even a majority. Republicans are united against it.

    Manchin said lawmakers should instead focus their energies on revitalizing the landmark Voting Rights Act, which was weakened by a Supreme Court decision in 2013. Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska has joined him in calling for that approach.

    Manchin’s opposition to the broader elections bill is just the latest challenge facing Democrats as they enter the summer work period under rising pressure to deliver on their promises to voters. Manchin reiterated he would not vote “weaken or eliminate the filibuster,” a route that many Democrats see as the only realistic path forward. The filibuster rule requires 60 votes to pass most bills, and in today’s Senate, which is split 50-50, that means many of the Democrats’ biggest priorities, from voting rights to gun control, are dead on arrival.

    Manchin and Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., have frustrated their party by their defense of the filibuster. But they aren’t alone, with as many as 10 Democratic senators also reluctant to change the rules.

    https://apnews.com/article/donald-tr...37c01c4cfdfb0f
    Schumer should have removed Manchin from Senate Leadership a long time ago.

    This failure is on Schumer.

    Manchin is from fucking West Virgins, where if it disappeared tomorrow, nobody would notice.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

    In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    28,583
    Thanks
    10,247
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Manchin is the one who is causing division with his weak excuses to obstruct the bill.

    He may as well just admit, "I am voting no so that I can be re-elected by my constituents that want me to vote no- even if it is wrong"!
    Why is he still in leadership?
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

    In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    141,551
    Thanks
    43,922
    Thanked 23,920 Times in 18,561 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 18,944 Times in 17,554 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Guys


    I think he’s being the cover man


    I think Joe and team may be massaging certain republicans who might vote with the nations best interest to save our Democracy


    There May be a few republicans who love America and Democracy more than they want to keep their jobs


    Imagine Joe and team offering some a government position if they get voted out

    Imagine a few Rs who’s election will be unobtainable in their current district due to their district changing


    Hold your fire my friends

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    36,643
    Thanks
    209
    Thanked 15,943 Times in 11,110 Posts
    Groans
    4,353
    Groaned 3,601 Times in 3,347 Posts

    Default

    Manchin is just trying to keep getting reelected. He sticks his finger in the air and goes whichever way the West Virginia winds blow. Politics is the business of getting reelected. He is a businessman.

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    141,551
    Thanks
    43,922
    Thanked 23,920 Times in 18,561 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 18,944 Times in 17,554 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

  16. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    141,551
    Thanks
    43,922
    Thanked 23,920 Times in 18,561 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 18,944 Times in 17,554 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...ict-trump.html



    7 Republicans explain their vote to convict Trump for Capitol attack
    PUBLISHED SAT, FEB 13 2021 4:31 PM EST
    UPDATED SUN, FEB 14 2021 12:28 PM EST
    Amanda Macias
    @AMANDA_M_MACIAS

  17. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    141,551
    Thanks
    43,922
    Thanked 23,920 Times in 18,561 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 18,944 Times in 17,554 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default

    Republican Sens. Richard Burr of North Carolina, Bill Cassidy of Louisiana, Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Mitt Romney of Utah, Ben Sasse of Nebraska and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania voted to convict Trump.

  18. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    141,551
    Thanks
    43,922
    Thanked 23,920 Times in 18,561 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 18,944 Times in 17,554 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8

  19. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    39,147
    Thanks
    11,515
    Thanked 21,737 Times in 15,141 Posts
    Groans
    241
    Groaned 1,514 Times in 1,430 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Schumer should have removed Manchin from Senate Leadership a long time ago.

    This failure is on Schumer.

    Manchin is from fucking West Virgins, where if it disappeared tomorrow, nobody would notice.
    i feel the same about New Yorkers fucking up my Florida with their dumb ass voting habits of high taxes and heavy regs.
    Curious. what leadership position does Manchin hold?

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dukkha For This Post:

    Darth Omar (06-06-2021), Stone (06-06-2021)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-08-2021, 06:35 AM
  2. Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin says he’ll vote to confirm
    By volsrock in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-06-2018, 07:01 AM
  3. Gonna be hard for Manchin to vote NO
    By canceled.2021.2 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2018, 07:59 PM
  4. Manchin Must Vote to Confirm Judge Kavanaugh
    By hvilleherb in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2018, 06:54 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2018, 08:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •