Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Newsmax, OANN, and Fox Media threats to American Democracy?

1. #106 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,421 Times in 52,445 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    I find it very interesting that if one was to ask others why they doubt factcheckers, all they could come up with maybe one or two examples of erroneous factchecking.
    I also find it very interesting that the same people think factcheckers are too biased because their favorite RW media says so.
    Agreed. Not to mention that it wasn't the JPP members who caught the factcheckers, but other media or factcheckers.

It's good to be skeptical, but, to paraphrase Prof. Walter Kotschnig, not so skeptical one's brains fall out.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-09-2021)

3. #107 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Not to mention that it wasn't the JPP members who caught the factcheckers, but other media or factcheckers.

It's good to be skeptical, but, to paraphrase Prof. Walter Kotschnig, not so skeptical one's brains fall out.
    I wonder if they are even aware that those factchecks always analyze the facts with references and where the misinformation are coming from.

So genetic fallacy doesn't apply here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (06-09-2021)

5. #108 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I wonder if they are even aware that those factchecks always analyze the facts with references and where the misinformation are coming from.

They're "skeptical". LOL

I wish that were true, but it isn't. Genetic fallacies are often the first line of attack which is why I like to use a Fox News reference when dealing with a Trumpazoid and CNN or MSNBC for a Democrat. It helps cut the bullshit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (06-09-2021)

7. #109 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

legion:

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Address the topic, not other posters.

8. #110 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I find it very interesting that if one was to ask others why they doubt factcheckers, all they could come up with maybe one or two examples of erroneous factchecking.
    I also find it very interesting that the same people think factcheckers are too biased because their favorite RW media says so.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

9. #111 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

They're "skeptical". LOL

I wish that were true, but it isn't. Genetic fallacies are often the first line of attack which is why I like to use a Fox News reference when dealing with a Trumpazoid and CNN or MSNBC for a Democrat. It helps cut the bullshit.

10. #112 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    That's a good picture of what you look like posting. Simple, stupid and playing with yourself.

11. #113 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's a good picture of what you look like posting. Simple, stupid and playing with yourself.
    The definition of I R O N Y! Buy a mirror you sad, pathetic asswhipe.

12. #114 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The definition of I R O N Y! Buy a mirror you sad, pathetic asswhipe.

Dude, you're the one constantly pissing your Depends with oversized, colored font and other Drama Queen antics.

13. #115 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Dude, you're the one constantly pissing your Depends with oversized, colored font and other Drama Queen antics.

14. #116 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Darn, this thread went downhill. Back on topic:

There is a serious issue here, Fox OAN Newsmax are propaganda sites full of lies and an unbalanced reporting of the daily happening of politics etc in America and the world. Their viewers are misinformed, lied too really. While education matters, a fair and balanced media helps everyone understand important issues.

Going forward it is important Americans call a spade a spade. The republican party today is fascist and not democratic. Democracy does not appeal to fascists. That is clearly evident in the lack of support for an investigation about Jan 6th. Thankfully our DOJ is doing the hard work. Money manages the republican party and the irony is many in the working class by into their lies.

I watch Newsmax and OAN more frequently than Fox. All distort and are one sided, finger pointing only, it is time to call them the 'woke fascists' they are, who see everything through biased glasses and work to hurt and cripple our democracy. Why and for whom, is the hard question but you know what they say about money.

"First, democracy is more than holding elections; it requires the development of civil society, meaning such complex and counterintuitive institutions as the rule of law, an independent judiciary, multiple political parties, minority rights, voluntary associations, freedom of expression, movement, and assembly. Democracy is a learned habit, not an instinctive one, that requires deep attitudinal changes such as a culture of restraint, a commonality of values, a respect for differences of view, the concept of loyal opposition, and a sense of civic responsibility." Daniel Pipes

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

See links for 'Failed Fact Checks'

Newsmax https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsmax/

OAN https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/one-a...-news-network/

'The Republican revolt against democracy, explained in 13 charts'

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...racy-13-charts
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

15. #117 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,270 Times in 13,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

I have, but thanks for the advice. Be sure you remain skeptical too since your factcheckers are human too.

BTW, which one said Media Bias or Politifact was "badly biased"? I couldn't find it in either one.

The bottom line here is for the individual to use critical thinking to determine what is most likely fact and what is most likely bullshit. Media Bias is a good reference, but I still give it leeway. When it says a source is centered, left or right, I give it a little range for bias. Obviously Fox news isn't really LW and CNN isn't RW. How far Right or Left is can be seen for oneself by watching them.

Or do you rigorously beleive your own sources as coming down for God or Trump himself?
    Absolutely! But at least I'm paying enough attention to do that. Most people, and particularly those that lean Left simply see agreement with their own views in what these fact checkers say and accept their judgement at face value. That is, they question nothing and accept everything because it jibes with their own prejudices.

Me? These fact checkers are all a bunch of idiot liberal arts majors that wouldn't know what Ʃx in a statistical analysis was for. It's all Greek to them. Their intellect is an inch deep and a centimeter wide. I don't buy anything they say on the face of it.

16. #118 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Absolutely! But at least I'm paying enough attention to do that. Most people, and particularly those that lean Left simply see agreement with their own views in what these fact checkers say and accept their judgement at face value. That is, they question nothing and accept everything because it jibes with their own prejudices.

Me? These fact checkers are all a bunch of idiot liberal arts majors that wouldn't know what Ʃx in a statistical analysis was for. It's all Greek to them. Their intellect is an inch deep and a centimeter wide. I don't buy anything they say on the face of it.
    My guess is that blaming the "MSM" is wrong. You nailed it with "most people", be they watching CNN, Fox or Trump's former Twitter feed. People need to be held accountable for their actions as individuals instead of blaming others like the "MSM".

As you and I are discussing they need to educate themselves enough to understand what is fact and what is opinion.

That said, I think it would be best for our nation if kids were taught how to think in schools instead of what to think.

17. #119 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,270 Times in 13,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 841 Times in 800 Posts

That said, I think it would be best for our nation if kids were taught how to think in schools instead of what to think.
    Well, you can take it to the bank that anything in education today with the word "critical" in front of it is designed to do the exact opposite of teaching children to think for themselves.

18. #120 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Well, you can take it to the bank that anything in education today with the word "critical" in front of it is designed to do the exact opposite of teaching children to think for themselves.
    I'm not quite that cynical yet. Maybe in five years.