Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Newsmax, OANN, and Fox Media threats to American Democracy?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Yes. OTOH, children are minors and the parents are voting citizens. They're free to keep their kids stupid and blind to reality.
    Stupid and blind is subjective.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,577 Times in 51,896 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    That's not very healthy. But that's what makes conservatives: The ability to block out things like reality, empathy, compassion, diversity, and an appreciation for different opinions and ideas. It's far more important to march in lock-step with your brethren, and make sure that your kids do as well. I think we've all known uber-religious parents, for example, that don't want their kids exposed to even other Xtian sects, let alone completely different religions. Or to secular and non-approved movies, books, music, pop culture. Remember when the RC church tried to tell parishioners what movies and books to avoid?
    It's not just "conservatives" since liberals are just as guilty about restricting what can be taught based upon political views, not practical views. All for the reasons you mentioned.

While you often love to attack "Xtians", the problem isn't restricted to one or more religions. It's a human trait to fear the future, to fear change. Some fear it too much and cause more harm than good. Some don't fear it at all, when they should exhibit more caution. The Goldilocks Theory should be applied.

Consider the demographic projection that "whites" will drop to 47% of the US population by 2050. Some will fear the future, others, usually through education, will realize that as the US becomes more blended, it will work better together.

Racial categories as shown in the chart are racist and based on archaic ideas of race since skin-tone is a very minor difference compared to cultural differences....and culture is taught.

IMO, the more indepth and factual a person's education, the better, more effective adult they'll grow to become.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...ons-2005-2050/
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Stupid and blind is subjective.
    It can be. It's also objective. If my intent it to keep a certain segment of the population stupid, I'd ban educating them. Why do you think slave owners banned teaching slaves to read? Was that a subjective decision? Objective? Both?

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    We still do. MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC to name a few.
    Examples of Trump's government ordering that "MSNBC, CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC" censor the news?

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Only if it's the govt. doing the censoring. I say let them show what they want, but insist that opposing POVs be given similar amounts of time for rebuttal. You know, like we used to do.
    Facts need no rebuttal, but opinions do. If people understand the difference between a fact and an opinion, then there'd be less confusion.

Is there any doubt that some news businesses are more factual than others? That some are more entertainment than news? More theatrics than education?

Only people with critical thinking skills can tell the difference....and JPP is full of people who can't tell the difference.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,494 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's not just "conservatives" since liberals are just as guilty about restricting what can be taught based upon political views, not practical views. All for the reasons you mentioned.

While you often love to attack "Xtians", the problem isn't restricted to one or more religions. It's a human trait to fear the future, to fear change. Some fear it too much and cause more harm than good. Some don't fear it at all, when they should exhibit more caution. The Goldilocks Theory should be applied.

Consider the demographic projection that "whites" will drop to 47% of the US population by 2050. Some will fear the future, others, usually through education, will realize that as the US becomes more blended, it will work better together.

Racial categories as shown in the chart are racist and based on archaic ideas of race since skin-tone is a very minor difference compared to cultural differences....and culture is taught.

IMO, the more indepth and factual a person's education, the better, more effective adult they'll grow to become.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...ons-2005-2050/
    Sorry, but pointing out the foibles in the dominant religion of one's country isn't "attacking." Don't be RB. lol

I think a huge amount of the anger and outrage exhibited by Trumpanzees is due to the scary, scary demographic projections in your chart. Even those who were taught and still believe the white-washed (clever of me, no? lol) version of American history know how the dominant race in America treated the minorities... and they fear a turn-about and loss of power. Every time I see someone write "the left wants ___" or I hear them say "the liberals want to ____," I know that I'm hearing or reading the voices of fear. What they really mean by "liberal" is black, Hispanic, Asian, indigenous, non-Xtian, non-white people. People not like us. Others.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sorry, but pointing out the foibles in the dominant religion of one's country isn't "attacking." Don't be RB. lol

I think a huge amount of the anger and outrage exhibited by Trumpanzees is due to the scary, scary demographic projections in your chart. Even those who were taught and still believe the white-washed (clever of me, no? lol) version of American history know how the dominant race in America treated the minorities... and they fear a turn-about and loss of power. Every time I see someone write "the left wants ___" or I hear them say "the liberals want to ____," I know that I'm hearing or reading the voices of fear. What they really mean by "liberal" is black, Hispanic, Asian, indigenous, non-Xtian, non-white people. People not like us. Others.
    It's as biased as volsrock pointing out every "foible" committed by a non-white person while completely disregarding the excesses of people matching his own views and skin-tone.

Anger and outrage are illogical; they're emotional. Yes, both "modern" conservatives and liberals are highly emotional. Both seek to deprive Americans of rights and impose their views upon others. I see little difference in their methods and their self-serving goals.

Fear-mongering is an effective tool against people. Intelligent, educated people quickly see through the fear-mongering but the lesser educated and lower IQ are more easily swayed by such tactics.

Liberals have created an emotional, fear-mongering package about "gun deaths", of which 2/3s are suicides, while, Conservatives have created an emotional, fear-mongering package about minorities/immigrants taking over. Both, IMO, are wrong to spread such fears and both, to a large extent, are lying to push an agenda.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Facts need no rebuttal, but opinions do. If people understand the difference between a fact and an opinion, then there'd be less confusion.
    I'm sure you'll agree that that's one of our problems today -- many people do NOT understand the difference. Which is why I'd prefer a requirement pointing that out, esp. with on-air programming.

Is there any doubt that some news businesses are more factual than others? That some are more entertainment than news? More theatrics than education?
    Anymore they all seem to be heading towards entertainment over reporting. I don't watch CNN's TV programming but I do often read stories on their website. Years ago the website transitioned from mostly news to more of a tabloid rag-mag sort of thing, with a gossipy and scandalous and lurid crimes type of focus. They have moved away from that to some extent but it is still evident on their main splash page. Now it seems to be located under the "news and buzz" heading. In addition, they label their articles as "opinion" or "analysis," which basically amount to the same thing. Too bad RW sites don't do that, eh? OANN just now:

Only people with critical thinking skills can tell the difference....and JPP is full of people who can't tell the difference.
    Not just JPP but the entire United States.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-24-2021)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you'll agree that that's one of our problems today -- many people do NOT understand the difference. Which is why I'd prefer a requirement pointing that out, esp. with on-air programming.

Anymore they all seem to be heading towards entertainment over reporting. I don't watch CNN's TV programming but I do often read stories on their website. Years ago the website transitioned from mostly news to more of a tabloid rag-mag sort of thing, with a gossipy and scandalous and lurid crimes type of focus. They have moved away from that to some extent but it is still evident on their main splash page. Now it seems to be located under the "news and buzz" heading. In addition, they label their articles as "opinion" or "analysis," which basically amount to the same thing. Too bad RW sites don't do that, eh? OANN just now:

Not just JPP but the entire United States.
    While I agree, notice that most of their stories are laced with facts. Did Rand Paul say he wouldn't get the vaccine? Yes. Do all of the other stories contain facts? Yes. How do we parse each line of each story and still maintain the First Amendment and Freedom of the Press?

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

It can be. It's also objective. If my intent it to keep a certain segment of the population stupid, I'd ban educating them. Why do you think slave owners banned teaching slaves to read? Was that a subjective decision? Objective? Both?
    TOW summed it up perfectly, critical thinking boils to question authority. Dissent is criminalized and locked away in a cage.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to goat For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-24-2021)

13. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

While I agree, notice that most of their stories are laced with facts. Did Rand Paul say he wouldn't get the vaccine? Yes. Do all of the other stories contain facts? Yes. How do we parse each line of each story and still maintain the First Amendment and Freedom of the Press?
    Most ppl who can read are smart enough to figure out an outright lie when they read/hear it, hence the way media carefully laces their agendas with just enough to make the story plausible. It takes something more to see the inherent bias. From what we've seen here on JPP, a lot of ppl lack that ability.

14. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

TOW summed it up perfectly, critical thinking boils to question authority. Dissent is criminalized and locked away in a cage.
    Disagreed that is all critical thinking is or boils down to. It's question everything, even oneself, not just authority.

OTOH, Professor Walter Kotschnig's advice to Holyoke College students to keep their minds open—”but not so open that your brains fall out” is always appropriate.

15. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes. Here is a good example of that.

"White evangelicals have always been the core of Donald Trump’s support. Once they got over their unease with his fungible approach to morality, conservative Christians found in Trump the political warrior — or mega-bully — that they have long been seeking. The only thing they disliked about him was that he curses.

"After acting like a political party through the Trump presidency, it’s no surprise that evangelicals are now following the GOP’s template of purging their ranks of anyone who does not worship at Trump’s altar. The latest case in point: the departure of Russell Moore from the leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).

"Moore held one of the top positions in evangelical Christianity. As head of the SBC’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, he has been a fervent advocate for the denomination’s right-wing positions. He has been a staunch opponent of LGBTQ rights, especially marriage equality, and has pushed hard for religious liberty exemptions that would gut existing protections.

"However, Moore has never been a fan of Donald Trump. Unlike other prominent evangelicals, like Franklin Graham and Tony Perkins, Moore was unwilling to trade his religious beliefs for access to power and Supreme Court appointments."

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/05/...egiance-trump/

And yes, I did note the bias in this article.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Doc Dutch (05-24-2021), goat (05-24-2021), midcan5 (05-24-2021)

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Most ppl who can read are smart enough to figure out an outright lie when they read/hear it, hence the way media carefully laces their agendas with just enough to make the story plausible. It takes something more to see the inherent bias. From what we've seen here on JPP, a lot of ppl lack that ability.
    Sorry, but if that were true, then there'd be no need to teach, or ban teaching, critical thinking in schools. While I think most Americans are of normal intelligence, I think too many of them lack a solid educational foundation to separate fact from opinion.

Agreed on media spin to make a story plausible. Politicians are very good at it. Part of the problem is we're living in an era of immediate gratification and sound bites. People get their news from two-three sentences on cable news instead of reading an in depth article about an issue from a reputable source.

Agreed a lot of people lack the ability. IMO, that's a reflection of our times and educational system.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes. Here is a good example of that.

"White evangelicals have always been the core of Donald Trump’s support. Once they got over their unease with his fungible approach to morality, conservative Christians found in Trump the political warrior — or mega-bully — that they have long been seeking. The only thing they disliked about him was that he curses.

"After acting like a political party through the Trump presidency, it’s no surprise that evangelicals are now following the GOP’s template of purging their ranks of anyone who does not worship at Trump’s altar. The latest case in point: the departure of Russell Moore from the leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC).

"Moore held one of the top positions in evangelical Christianity. As head of the SBC’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, he has been a fervent advocate for the denomination’s right-wing positions. He has been a staunch opponent of LGBTQ rights, especially marriage equality, and has pushed hard for religious liberty exemptions that would gut existing protections.

"However, Moore has never been a fan of Donald Trump. Unlike other prominent evangelicals, like Franklin Graham and Tony Perkins, Moore was unwilling to trade his religious beliefs for access to power and Supreme Court appointments."

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/05/...egiance-trump/

And yes, I did note the bias in this article.
    Evangelicals are narrowing themselves into the same wacky niche as Scientologists.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-24-2021)