Thread: Question for level headed dems

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Honestly, the tone of his question deserved an objective response. I wish more threads started like that. When they do, I'm going to bend toward civility
    You mean like this:
    --->"Disturbing the peace by democrats in New Orleans with the clear intent to disrupt folks eating out is common behavior."

'Democrats' are disturbing the Peace. This is the typical Red Team/Blue Team binary approach to everything.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,490 Times in 7,581 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

In general, I reject your premise that cities are 'going to hell in a handbasket'.
    Have you been to Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, St. Louis or New Orleans in the last 5 yrs. and compare them to what they were 15, 30 years ago? I have.
    I think your claim about New Orleans is utter nonsense.
    My hometown. I know.
    Cities are just fine, thanks. And the rise is violent crime is not just a phenomenon in cities, it is happening everywhere. And if you really want to politicize this, it happened on Trumps watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Forget about Trump for a few minutes.

Trump .
    This is not about Trump. And he has little to do with how individual cities are run. Yes, anecdotes are all I have but CHAZ in Seattle is no anecdote. The nightly riots in Portland is no anecdote. I've seen several posts here giving crime statistics showing carjackings are way up, unheard of in N.O. when I lived there.
    Sorry, but this is what I expected. Denial of the obvious.
    Anyway what I was talking about is why would an educated level headed person vote for a mayor or city council (not Trump) that allows lawlessness?
    We just made a big course correction in Anchorage last week. The citizens have had enough. We experimented with an uber-liberal mayor that tried very hard to turn Anchorage into another Portland and he was succeeding. And Anchorage voted for Biden. In that regard it's a blue city. But it's citizens rejected local policies that favor criminals.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 05-20-2021 at 09:31 AM.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Thanks. Your reply was about the same as mine, only yours was far more detailed.

Not that he asked for advice, but if Moose is *that* unhappy in Anchorage maybe he might consider moving elsewhere instead of whining about it. After all, isn't that what we (D)s are routinely told to do by (R)s when we point out some problem with the country?
    Anchorage made a course correction last week.
    The dem shitholes get worse and worse or at best stay the same with high crime yet continue to vote for lawlessness. How many cities have you seen vote out a dem and vote in an R? Very few.
    You moved from St. Louis because it became unlivable, didn't you?

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    You mean like this:
    --->"Disturbing the peace by democrats in New Orleans with the clear intent to disrupt folks eating out is common behavior."

'Democrats' are disturbing the Peace. This is the typical Red Team/Blue Team binary approach to everything.
    Jack, I was trying to be PC. Didn't want to sound rayciss.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

Jack (05-20-2021)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

It’s obvious cities are going to hell in a hand basket. Murder is way up, carjackers have replaced the annoying windshield washers , one mayor won’t even take questions from white reporters.
    Cops are either defunded or not allowed to do their jobs like enforce vagrancy laws, even car theft and shoplifting are not responded to by police in my city although that should change with our newly elected mayor.
    Disturbing the peace by democrats in New Orleans with the clear intent to disrupt folks eating out is common behavior.
    Of course I can give more examples of the lawlessness that’s clearly happening but I think you get the point.

Is this really what you want? This is what you vote to enable.
    If so, why? Why do you want to live in hell holes?

And forget whataboutisms like asking why republicans live in trailer parks. Start your own thread on that.
    I’m just curious .

I can try to field this one, I feel myself a centrist but I did vote for biden. I think the mayor lightfoot's proclamation was short sighted and yes racist, that will do nothing but serve to continue any division. If she wanted to call on or interview with less "YT" (new term for white people I read this morning), she should have just done that. by announcing it, it comes off racist.

Crime is indeed up, much of that has to do with being idle, locked up and yes, the misguided call to defund the police, where police now are afraid to do their jobs. This is also a big fault of the police departments who don't do enough to shed the reputation of being harsher on POC's While you can try to blame all of the rising crime on democrat control, it's not really a fair blame in many cases, in some, for example lightfoot and diblasio, and whoever the mayor of sanfran as well as LA is, yeah, stupid policies lead to stupid crime rates. Im sure we can name several cities like this, but that's not the whole story....

but that's just it, Miami, is one of these cities where crime has skyrocketed, no? this is a republican governor and a republican mayor. Jacksonville, Tulsa, and fort worth all republican controlled and all seeing homicide rates for example increase. So there is a base level increase among cities controlled by democrats and republicans. So I am not sure blaming an entire party is appropriate here.

Then again, personally, even if Tulsa had 0 crimes, I'd much rather live in LA.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

It’s obvious cities are going to hell in a hand basket. Murder is way up, carjackers have replaced the annoying windshield washers , one mayor won’t even take questions from white reporters.
    Cops are either defunded or not allowed to do their jobs like enforce vagrancy laws, even car theft and shoplifting are not responded to by police in my city although that should change with our newly elected mayor.
    Disturbing the peace by democrats in New Orleans with the clear intent to disrupt folks eating out is common behavior.
    Of course I can give more examples of the lawlessness that’s clearly happening but I think you get the point.

And forget whataboutisms like asking why republicans live in trailer parks. Start your own thread on that.
    I’m just curious .
    This is what happens in a failed system. The economy has been hollowed out and all we get is lip serves from our corrupt politicians. We're told to lockdown for a year as Rome burns. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. It would help if we could agree that government is our enemy.

Do I sound like a broken record?

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Can you provide a list of cities by crime rate and then a list of the same cities by political party currently in control of the mayor's house?
    You gotta be kidding. Google which cities have the highest murder rate then google to find out last time they had anything but a dem mayor and city council.
    Can you explain how a mayor can cause higher or lower crime?
    Mayor and complicit city council. Take Ted Wheeler or Seattle mayor Jenny Durkan and their city councils/assemblies, e.g. Didn't allow the police to do anything against the riots and CHAZ
    Is a high crime rate for a particular city worse in low-income areas and barely noticeable in higher-income areas?
    Absolutely
    If so, why might that be?
    Good question. Why do low income people in cities hate LEO's that are there to protect them?

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thumbs down The Hatzolah came to my rescue

EP-801239053.jpg

In the state of New York, passengers ages five and under and bike riders under the age of 14 are required to wear bike helmets.
    Adults who are working cyclists are also required to wear a helmet. Legally, adults are allowed to ride a bike without wearing a
    helmet.

It's not the car deliberately cutting me off. It's me on the bicycle that's the problem.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have you been to Portland, Seattle, Atlanta, St. Louis or New Orleans in the last 5 yrs. and compare them to what they were 15, 30 years ago? I have. My hometown. I know.
    Cities are just fine, thanks. And the rise is violent crime is not just a phenomenon in cities, it is happening everywhere. And if you really want to politicize this, it happened on Trumps watch.[/QUOTE]
    This is not about Trump. And he has little to do with how individual cities are run. Yes, anecdotes are all I have but CHAZ in Seattle is no anecdote. The nightly riots in Portland is no anecdote. I've seen several posts here giving crime statistics showing carjackings are way up, unheard of in N.O. when I lived there.
    Sorry, but this is what I expected. Denial of the obvious.
    Anyway what I was talking about is why would an educated level headed person vote for a mayor or city council (not Trump) that allows lawlessness?
    We just made a big course correction in Anchorage last week. The citizens have had enough. We experimented with an uber-liberal mayor that tried very hard to turn Anchorage into another Portland and he was succeeding. And Anchorage voted for Biden. In that regard it's a blue city. But it's citizens rejected local policies that favor criminals.[/QUOTE]

Show me the statistics, and we'll talk. But you just claiming it's obvious doesn't make it obvious.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

I’m just curious .

You make up lies.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turgid Member View Post
    Miami, is one of these cities where crime has skyrocketed, no? this is a republican governor and a republican mayor. Jacksonville, Tulsa, and fort worth all republican controlled and all seeing homicide rates for example increase. So there is a base level increase among cities controlled by democrats and republicans. So I am not sure blaming an entire party is appropriate here.
    First thanks for the lucid response.
    Yes crime is up in the few R controlled cities, cities in general are unlivable shitholes, IMO. But also cities in general are overwhelmingly D controlled and have been perpetually. So back to my original question: why do they never make any attempt to change (like mine did)?

Quote Originally Posted by Turgid Member View Post
    Then again, personally, even if Tulsa had 0 crimes, I'd much rather live in LA.
    And to each their own. L.A. is one of those cities I'll no longer set foot.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,386 Times in 53,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Anchorage made a course correction last week.
    The dem shitholes get worse and worse or at best stay the same with high crime yet continue to vote for lawlessness. How many cities have you seen vote out a dem and vote in an R? Very few.
    You moved from St. Louis because it became unlivable, didn't you?
    That's not why we moved, no. We wanted to retire to a cooler climate for health issues, a more peaceful and less crowded area with 365 days/year outdoor rec opportunities, and a relatively low cost-of-living. We actually considered the Palmer area, briefly.

Poverty and crime go hand-in-hand. Fix the income inequality mess, provide decent-paying job opportunities, and hope for a better future, and your crime problem will fix itself.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You make up lies.
    Thanks for the (non)response. I'm looking for half intelligent conversation at minimum. It's why I banned katzgar , e.g. "Opioid addition, meth addiction." I'll remember to ban you next time I start a thread.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

First thanks for the lucid response.
    Yes crime is up in the few R controlled cities, cities in general are unlivable shitholes, IMO. But also cities in general are overwhelmingly D controlled and have been perpetually. So back to my original question: why do they never make any attempt to change (like mine did)?

And to each their own. L.A. is one of those cities I'll no longer set foot.

My point is, and I did sorta agree with you that some cities have had poor management, but I do not think it's fair to blame those cities poor managment on all democrats everywhere than it would be to blame all republicans for the same using miami, tulsa, and other republican controlled cities.

I like to set foot anywhere, I found life is grand when you "set foot", but in all seriousness.

Check this out.

Tulsa Violent crime: 48.3
    LA Violent Crime: 29.1

Tulsa Property crime: 74.3
    LA Property crime: 35.1

So why, if I can ask you respectfully, would you prefer to step foot in tulsa, than LA?