1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,495 Times in 7,584 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 274 Times in 257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    The Bureau of Labor Statistics gives us the actual picture

https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/min...5%20per%20hour.

Minimum wage workers are mostly young work part time and lesser educated. In other words MW jobs are transitional. Everyone of us has had a mw job probably. I did but you don't stay there forever unless you're unmotivated. This is just another way leftists want to ruin America.
    Correct. If you stay at a job like that for a while and are dependable you probably move up to asst manager, even manager eventually. But min wage jobs are low skill starter, summer and after school jobs.
    But AFAIC, they can make $15, 30, 50, 100/ hr. Doesn’t matter. The Market will take care of itself.

Last edited by anonymoose; 05-17-2021 at 07:06 PM.

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,062 Times in 8,414 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I remember they had high taxes on alcohol. They used to have bizarre rules for when you could drink, with bars closing at 6:00 pm. But a Big Mac costs an average of US$4.98, whereas it costs an average of US$5.66 in the USA. Apparently, higher burger flipper costs does not relate to higher burger costs.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...for-a-big-mac/
    That link is only partially accessible.

BTW Minimum wage in Australia varies on a number rof factors

https://rmelbourneaccountants.com.au...-in-australia/

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Correct. If you stay at a job that that for a while and are dependable you probably move up to asst manager, even manager eventually. But min wage jobs are low skill starter, summer and after school jobs.
    But AFAIC, they can make $15, 30, 50, 100/ hr. Doesn’t matter. The Market will take care of itself.

So teenagers working part-time aren't worth $15/ hour. If you're relying on a mw job to survive you have bigger problems than the mw is too low.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yakuda For This Post:

anonymoose (05-17-2021)

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,340 Times in 8,498 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,701 Times in 2,506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Correct. If you stay at a job that that for a while and are dependable you probably move up to asst manager, even manager eventually. But min wage jobs are low skill starter, summer and after school jobs.
    Minimum wage usually has a major effect on people making up to 50% above minimum wage, so anyone making between $7.25 and $22.50 would be directly effected by moving minimum wage from $7.25 to $15.

In other words, saying that it only effects people making minimum wage and not those making five cents more than minimum wage is just silly.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Minimum wage usually has a major effect on people making up to 50% above minimum wage, so anyone making between $7.25 and $22.50 would be directly effected by moving minimum wage from $7.25 to $15.

In other words, saying that it only effects people making minimum wage and not those making five cents more than minimum wage is just silly.
    If you're making give cents more than mw and I have to pay all my other employees $15 then he'll will freeze over before you get a raise or the govt continues to mandate increases making everything more expensive than it's worth.

7. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you're making give cents more than mw and I have to pay all my other employees $15 then he'll will freeze over before you get a raise or the govt continues to mandate increases making everything more expensive than it's worth.
    You get raises based on market competition. In other words, if an employer wants better than the minimum, he will have to pay more than the minimum wage. That is why Americans have a higher minimum wage than Mexicans, and yet can make more than the US minimum wage.

It will encourage automation, but automation does not make everything more expensive. It makes things cheaper. Many things are cheaper today, even with a higher minimum wage, because we have better automation. Mass production (automation) has driven down prices, driven up wages, and driven down the number of hours that must be worked.

8. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You get raises based on market competition. In other words, if an employer wants better than the minimum, he will have to pay more than the minimum wage. That is why Americans have a higher minimum wage than Mexicans, and yet can make more than the US minimum wage.

It will encourage automation, but automation does not make everything more expensive. It makes things cheaper. Many things are cheaper today, even with a higher minimum wage, because we have better automation. Mass production (automation) has driven down prices, driven up wages, and driven down the number of hours that must be worked.
    So we agree mw encourages automation. I love the ordering kiosks at McDonald's as they are faster and smarter than anyone at the counter and have a better attitude. The last thing I want to do is encounter a human at any of the fast food places. If I'm paying someone $15 an hour they better work their ass off. And again teens working part time dont deserve $15/ hour.

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If I'm paying someone $15 an hour they better work their ass off. And again teens working part time dont deserve $15/ hour.
    I think the problem here is the word "deserve". Somehow you have gotten it into your head that capitalism is about getting people what they deserve. It is no such thing. Nobody cares what you deserve.

I bill $500 an hour, not because I deserve $500 an hour, but because that is what the market will bare. Many people in third world countries would bill less than a dollar an hour, not because they deserve less, but because the market for their jobs will bare less. Capitalism is all about not caring what someone deserves.

If I am paying someone $15 an hour, and can find someone who will do a better job for $15 an hour, then sure I will replace the lazier worker. If I cannot, then I am not going to sit around whining that they "better work their asses off." That is just a stupid complaint.

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think the problem here is the word "deserve". Somehow you have gotten it into your head that capitalism is about getting people what they deserve. It is no such thing. Nobody cares what you deserve.

I bill $500 an hour, not because I deserve $500 an hour, but because that is what the market will bare. Many people in third world countries would bill less than a dollar an hour, not because they deserve less, but because the market for their jobs will bare less. Capitalism is all about not caring what someone deserves.

If I am paying someone $15 an hour, and can find someone who will do a better job for $15 an hour, then sure I will replace the lazier worker. If I cannot, then I am not going to sit around whining that they "better work their asses off." That is just a stupid complaint.
    I am not confusing anything. Flipping burgers is not a $15/hour job. Period. The whole mw thing is anti capitalism so I'm not sure what youre barking about there.

That is not the same at all as you charging $500/hour is NOT a govt mandate. Nice try but no cigar. You need an actual argument here.

If I can't find them then I will do without. I will pay my better workers more money. The number of people needed is not stagnant so yes you better work your ass off or I'll fire you.

11. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Flipping burgers is not a $15/hour job. Period.
    And yet it is in Australia, and in slightly better restaurants. If a "burger flipper" is managing/repairing/problem solving several burger flipping machines, then it certainly is a $15/hour job. A burger flipper in Northern Alaska or on an oil platform at sea could definitely be worth $15/hour. In the future, it could be required to be a $15/hour job.

Your absolute statement is wrong. It made more sense when you claimed it did not deserve to be. What someone is paid is dependent on what the market can bare, not on what you think they deserve.

If I can't find them then I will do without.
    You would rather shutdown a profitable business than pay employees what the market will bare? That is stupid, but it really does not matter. If you shutdown your business, other businesses will take their place, and they will pay employees what the market will bare.

I have people tell me all the time they will not pay my rates. They scream and cry how unfair it is. You know what, NO ONE CARES!!! Capitalism is not about being fair.

You may say minimum wage is not capitalism, but whether you stay in business or not is capitalism. There will be businesses able to pay minimum wage, and if you are unwilling to, they will gladly replace you.

If you're making give cents more than mw and I have to pay all my other employees $15 then he'll will freeze over before you get a raise
    I will pay my better workers more money. The number of people needed is not stagnant so yes you better work your ass off or I'll fire you.
    I see you go by the school of thought "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." First you said you would never pay anyone over a minimum wage of $15, and now you are saying you would pay all your employees over a minimum wage of $15.

I consider the second strategy to be better. Pay more than the minimum and get the best workers, or at least above average. Let the other guys go with the least employees. They will save a few bucks, but lose so much in quality it will not matter.

12. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And yet it is in Australia, and in slightly better restaurants. If a "burger flipper" is managing/repairing/problem solving several burger flipping machines, then it certainly is a $15/hour job. A burger flipper in Northern Alaska or on an oil platform at sea could definitely be worth $15/hour. In the future, it could be required to be a $15/hour job.

Your absolute statement is wrong. It made more sense when you claimed it did not deserve to be. What someone is paid is dependent on what the market can bare, not on what you think they deserve.

You would rather shutdown a profitable business than pay employees what the market will bare? That is stupid, but it really does not matter. If you shutdown your business, other businesses will take their place, and they will pay employees what the market will bare.

I have people tell me all the time they will not pay my rates. They scream and cry how unfair it is. You know what, NO ONE CARES!!! Capitalism is not about being fair.

You may say minimum wage is not capitalism, but whether you stay in business or not is capitalism. There will be businesses able to pay minimum wage, and if you are unwilling to, they will gladly replace you.

I see you go by the school of thought "consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." First you said you would never pay anyone over a minimum wage of $15, and now you are saying you would pay all your employees over a minimum wage of $15.

I consider the second strategy to be better. Pay more than the minimum and get the best workers, or at least above average. Let the other guys go with the least employees. They will save a few bucks, but lose so much in quality it will not matter.
    I can see you're coming unhinged. The fact is $15/hour is too much to pay teenagers who work part time. This is nothing more than leftist feel good ideology. Artificially setting the process for anything is disastrous to a healthy economy.

13. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The fact is $15/hour is too much to pay teenagers who work part time.
    That is not a fact. It is your opinion. And in this case, your opinion is of no importance.

I have paid two teenager $20/hour for part time work. Both quit working for me because they could get better pay from other people. I should have kept up with what the market could bare, not just assume $20 was enough. I was making a lot of money off them. It is what the market can bare that matters, not what your (or my) opinion is.

14. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Think about it.

All those low wage workers will be earning more. They will be getting bigger paychecks. Those checks will have withholding taken out of them. There will be more money going into Social Security. That will help move SS more towards solvency.
    I am speechless......why would you post this without thinking it through?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

15. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

show the numbers

if what you say is true then why not $30 and hour. That would set us up for life. How about $50 and hour? Even better right?
    pikers........I will not settle for anything less than $150M per hour.....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

16. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    The $15 min wage is one of the best things we can do to help Americans improve their lives.
    high school kids do not need a living wage......

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Yakuda (05-17-2021)