Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty

View Poll Results: Is the American work ethic dying?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

1 20.00%
  • It's been dead for years

2 40.00%
  • Other: explain in comments

0 0%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the American work ethic dying?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Question Is the American work ethic dying?

DEMOCRAT-led politically motivated pandemic panic killed millions of jobs.

Now the DEMOCRATS are paying people to stay home.

It’s now clear that bungling Biden and the left expect these outlays to effectively and unofficially raise the minimum wage by forcing employers to compete with Uncle Sam’s (actually, taxpayer's) money.

Still, it is impossible not to be struck by how many employers say that former and prospective employees—after a year of forced unemployment—simply will not work.

The president of W.W. Cannon in Dallas told the Journal that despite offering wages up to $30 an hour, “people aren’t willing to come to work.”

Refusal to work is something new in the U.S.

By making unemployment insurance competitive with market wage rates in a pandemic, the DEMOCRATS have done long-term damage to the work ethic.

We will spend years discovering the altered patterns of behavior caused by DEMOCRAT politicians on the advice of epidemiologists ordering the nation to go home and stay home.

Some are identifiable, such as large migrations out of big cities.

Less clear is the pandemic’s long-term effect on where people are willing to work—or whether they are willing to work at all. The U.S. Labor Department’s report on jobs suggests that one of the things many people want most to get away from is work itself.

There is no precedent for this, not even the Great Depression. It’s comforting to believe that natural economic forces will drive people back to work. But the scale of effects from the yearlong pandemic shutdowns, combined with trillions in direct payments, has pushed the work ethic in the U.S. to a tipping point.

The DEMOCRATS built the Chinese disease into a monster.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-american-work-ethic-dying-11620858123?mod=trending_now_opn_2

Discuss.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Work ethic has been dying for many decades.

I blame the Victim Culture Cult first.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

ExpressLane (05-13-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,568 Times in 2,244 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

I think a lot of people are just starting to change their opinion of what constitutes a "living" and are starting to value things other than a simple paycheck. Covid has definitely highlighted flaws in current employment models, not only regarding health insurance and time off allowances, but in general happiness and comfort.

If someone can get just as much done at home as they can in an office (certain jobs), then why put yourself though a commute? Every company has been trying to one-up the other in terms of productivity for decades. I think the thumb screws were tightened enough so that when they were released for a moment, people don't want to feel the squeeze again. All the while, the people twisting the thumbscrews didn't or still don't realize how unproductive the squeeze makes people.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    I think a lot of people are just starting to change their opinion of what constitutes a "living" and are starting to value things other than a simple paycheck. Covid has definitely highlighted flaws in current employment models, not only regarding health insurance and time off allowances, but in general happiness and comfort.

If someone can get just as much done at home as they can in an office (certain jobs), then why put yourself though a commute? Every company has been trying to one-up the other in terms of productivity for decades. I think the thumb screws were tightened enough so that when they were released for a moment, people don't want to feel the squeeze again. All the while, the people twisting the thumbscrews didn't or still don't realize how unproductive the squeeze makes people.
    OH PLease ....putting in even one full hard day at work is oppression for so many now, in part because that is what they have been taught.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

ExpressLane (05-13-2021), Wolverine (05-13-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I find it interesting those who claim that work from home has been more productive than work at office for so many....if that is true this means that there has been something wrong with the office. The fact that everyone just about went to "open office" on basically no evidence has something to do with that, but that is a different subject than work ethic, that is about the incompetence/negligence of the leaders.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    DEMOCRAT-led politically motivated pandemic panic killed millions of jobs.

Now the DEMOCRATS are paying people to stay home.

It’s now clear that bungling Biden and the left expect these outlays to effectively and unofficially raise the minimum wage by forcing employers to compete with Uncle Sam’s (actually, taxpayer's) money.

Still, it is impossible not to be struck by how many employers say that former and prospective employees—after a year of forced unemployment—simply will not work.

The president of W.W. Cannon in Dallas told the Journal that despite offering wages up to $30 an hour, “people aren’t willing to come to work.”

Refusal to work is something new in the U.S.

By making unemployment insurance competitive with market wage rates in a pandemic, the DEMOCRATS have done long-term damage to the work ethic.

We will spend years discovering the altered patterns of behavior caused by DEMOCRAT politicians on the advice of epidemiologists ordering the nation to go home and stay home.

Some are identifiable, such as large migrations out of big cities.

Less clear is the pandemic’s long-term effect on where people are willing to work—or whether they are willing to work at all. The U.S. Labor Department’s report on jobs suggests that one of the things many people want most to get away from is work itself.

There is no precedent for this, not even the Great Depression. It’s comforting to believe that natural economic forces will drive people back to work. But the scale of effects from the yearlong pandemic shutdowns, combined with trillions in direct payments, has pushed the work ethic in the U.S. to a tipping point.

The DEMOCRATS built the Chinese disease into a monster.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-the-american-work-ethic-dying-11620858123?mod=trending_now_opn_2

Discuss.
    Comical how “copy and paste” interjects his own views without separation into the actual WSJ opinion piece

And now supposedly we got Americans being concerned with a virus with no vaccine spreading rapidly by social contact killing eight thousand fellow Americans a day as a “DEMOCRAT-led politically motivated pandemic panic.”

Vast majority of those crying about not finding help are restaurants, bars, and fast food businesses, easy solution, pay them more, who wants to work for eight dollars an hour with no benefits in a job dealing directly with the public

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you thought ahead to include an option just for me.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Comical how “copy and paste” interjects his own views without separation into the actual WSJ opinion piece

And now supposedly we got Americans being concerned with a virus with no vaccine spreading rapidly by social contact killing eight thousand fellow Americans a day as a “DEMOCRAT-led politically motivated pandemic panic.”

Vast majority of those crying about not finding help are restaurants, bars, and fast food businesses, easy solution, pay them more, who wants to work for eight dollars an hour with no benefits in a job dealing directly with the public
    It is not just about the money...I had a strawberry grower tell me that he could pay $40 a hour and still he would not find native born Americans willing to pick...and that was two decades ago....there are increasing jobs that Americans will not do at any wage.

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Manufacturing and construction are critically short as well. Or do you think a plumber and a burger flipper make the same?
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

I often wonder what kind of Job Legion has. All day ... posting on JPP. (I'm beginning to think Legion is a 'Welfare Queen', living off Government Handouts)

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,568 Times in 2,244 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 161 Times in 153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    I find it interesting those who claim that work from home has been more productive than work at office for so many....if that is true this means that there has been something wrong with the office. The fact that everyone just about went to "open office" on basically no evidence has something to do with that, but that is a different subject than work ethic, that is about the incompetence/negligence of the leaders.
    Incompetent/negligent leaders is a BIG part of it.

Jeff Bezos just bought a super yacht that needs it's own SUPPORT YACHT and yet knows full well that he's pushing the people that earned him that luxury to the point of having to piss in bottles. That goes back to my point about productivity.

But again, it's about what people VALUE. I don't mind working myself weak if it's on something of value to me. Luckily my job pays well enough to make it worth my while, and I've got a decent healthcare package, I'm also part owner so how well the company does is something I value.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    It is not just about the money...I had a strawberry grower tell me that he could pay $40 a hour and still he would not find native born Americans willing to pick...and that was two decades ago....there are increasing jobs that Americans will not do at any wage.
    Which is one component that makes immigration reform such a difficult issue, was a time the employer employing illegal immigrants was fined, but interests who consequently suffered then from labor shortages lobbied to change the law

15. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-13-2021)

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,386 Times in 3,225 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 189 Times in 178 Posts

Pay them more, they make no profit, might as well shut down anyway!

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Badguy View Post
    Incompetent/negligent leaders is a BIG part of it.

Jeff Bezos just bought a super yacht that needs it's own SUPPORT YACHT and yet knows full well that he's pushing the people that earned him that luxury to the point of having to piss in bottles. That goes back to my point about productivity.

But again, it's about what people VALUE. I don't mind working myself weak if it's on something of value to me. Luckily my job pays well enough to make it worth my while, and I've got a decent healthcare package, I'm also part owner so how well the company does is something I value.
    Increasingly people value being supported with as little work requirement as possible. Increasingly those who work hard are considered rubes, people who who could not figure out an easier road, or who are too dumb to do so.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by /MSG/ View Post
    Manufacturing and construction are critically short as well. Or do you think a plumber and a burger flipper make the same?
    Those professions have vacancies due to a steady pool of qualified candidates, not quite the same as the burger flipper