Thread: Cruise lines threaten to leave Florida over vaccine passport ban

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,437 Times in 52,459 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExpressLane View Post
    Farther to fly for people from Texas and they are HUGE part of the cruise line business. Plus people from Florida cruise a lot. So it would less convenient for two states with HUGE populations
    What? 15 minutes? The flight time from Dallas or Houston to the SouthEast Coast is about the same.

Why do you think it's a good idea for politicians to interfere with businesses? Are you anti-capitalism?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Liberals think it's OK for cruise ships to require proof of vaccination, but not require proof of identification to vote. Fucking hypocrites...
    Sure. It's also hypocritical for Trumpsters to say government shouldn't interfere with business unless it's DeSantis interfering with the cruise lines.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-10-2021)

4. #33 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,612 Times in 17,052 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Sure. It's also hypocritical for Trumpsters to say government shouldn't interfere with business unless it's DeSantis interfering with the cruise lines.

Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump!
    I thought Trump was no longer president? What did I miss?

How is DeSantis interfering with cruse lines? Aren't they free to come and go as they please?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

5. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

cant make an internal passport. its to the point the privitization is the excuse to do so. big tech, etc.
    Government then has every right to come in and regulate where they see exclusionary commerce as impediment
    to a free market. Commerce Clause at the fed level, regs at the state level

DeSantis is on thin but legal ground -but what's important is not to let any business start this
    "may I see your papers please" . He's acting in the best interest of the population
    ~~

anyways if you are vaxxed...you are immune right? so get vaxxed and head to Jamaica mon.

6. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How is DeSantis interfering with cruse lines? Aren't they free to come and go as they please?
    he's preventing a vaxx passport. i think he just signed a prohibition into law -so he has the legal authority

7. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,176 Times in 14,712 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 952 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries

What? 15 minutes? The flight time from Dallas or Houston to the SouthEast Coast is about the same.

Why do you think it's a good idea for politicians to interfere with businesses? Are you anti-capitalism?
    As I said I have no problem for cruise lines requiring passengers to show proof of vaccinations. I have big problems if the government gets involved.

8. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As I said I have no problem for cruise lines requiring passengers to show proof of vaccinations. I have big problems if the government gets involved.
    libertarianism..? I'm down with that almost always.
    i do think keeping commerce away from those not vaxxed is undesirable (maybe constitutional probs as well)

But Im much more concerned with these floating germ factories link diarrhea and Legionaires and gawd knows wht,'

Incredibly the CDC just made them have a doctor on board. they should mandate a small medical staff
    god help you if you get sick and cant get off one of those things. and i mean much more then COVID

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    he's preventing a vaxx passport. i think he just signed a prohibition into law -so he has the legal authority
    So he's not "limiting" their business, basically he's saying they can't discriminate in his state. If they require a vaxx passport, they can still dock in another port.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RB 60 For This Post:

anatta (05-09-2021)

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Fallout continues from Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ ban on vaccine passports with Norwegian Cruise Lines’ CEO threatening to leave the state if the company can’t do vaccination checks.

"The thing that I believe all cruise lines want to avoid at all costs is a repeat of even a small amount of contagion on the ships," said Dr. Jay Wolfson, USF Health professor of public health and a lawyer.

Wolfson said cruise companies can’t afford to lose any more money, and they may see Florida’s ban as a risk they cannot take.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/cruis...e-passport-ban
    I am sure the idiots there who vote against their own interests for repuke swine with a stupid and hater attitude, and tolerating a GQP hack DeSantis at being lawlessly rigged in there in violation of the majority voter will appreciate Florida losing its sterling recognition as a U.S. passenger cruise terminal industry. Yet there are other areas in America that are civilized enough to ensure vaccine passport guidelines are ensured for the safety of passengers and crew that are in proximity with the Caribbean, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gemini104104 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-10-2021)

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump! Trump!
    I thought Trump was no longer president? What did I miss?

There are Trumpsters following his bullshit about COVID, including DeSantis.

Since you can't see how banning the cruise lines from establishing medical standards for their floating Petri dishes is interfering with their business, I can't help you.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-10-2021)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agreed, but according to certain parties on this forum, that makes you a "Lib". LOL

Odd isn't it how Trump fans no longer support Republican business ideals? They are politicizing business decisions.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (05-10-2021)

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are Trumpsters following his bullshit about COVID, including DeSantis.

Since you can't see how banning the cruise lines from establishing medical standards for their floating Petri dishes is interfering with their business, I can't help you.
    If you can't see that it's discrimination, I can't help you. Libs keep screaming discrimination over a fucking monument, why aren't they screaming about this? Dock at another port. Problem solved.

18. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

If you can't see that it's discrimination, I can't help you. Libs keep screaming discrimination over a fucking monument, why aren't they screaming about this? Dock at another port. Problem solved.
    Do you protest McDonald's for not letting you inside without a shirt or shoes?

19. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

DeSantis signed a bill into law that prohibits businesses and government agencies in the state from asking people for proof — digital passport or otherwise — of a COVID-19 vaccination.
    https://www.govtech.com/health/flori...cine-passports
    DeSantis on April 2 issued an executive order blocking COVID-19 passports, which he said would create "huge" privacy issues that could result in people handing over medical information to a "big corporation." The law now makes the executive order permanent.

The governor appeared on Fox News' Laura Ingraham show on Thursday, shortly after legislators passed the measure an proclaimed that he was "the first, I think, elected official in the country, certainly state governor, to say we're not having vaccine passports."

"You have a right to participate in society without them asking you to divulge this type of health information like just to go to a movie, just to go to a ball game," DeSantis told the Fox News audience. "Our Legislature has passed what I asked for, and I'll be signing that very soon."

Fox host Laura Ingraham asked what will happen if airports or airlines starting requiring vaccine certificates.

"Well, they're not going to be able to do it in the state of Florida," DeSantis responded, as the crowd at the outdoor town hall in Orlando cheered.

Florida already requires other types of vaccines for students to attend public schools, but the restriction for COVID-19 vaccines applies to schools as well as private businesses. Violators can be fined up to $5,000.

Simpson, a Trilby Republican, said he supported the governor's action in the face of the continuing pandemic.

"Make no mistake about it, families are still dealing with COVID where you have family members still dying of COVID, but you have to ultimately weigh the balance of people's lives and their mental health and, and the amount of suicides and all of the things that go wrong by locking our citizens down," Simpson said.

TRYING TO STRIKE A BALANCE

Rep. Tom Leek, R- Ormond Beach, who led the Pandemics & Public Emergencies Committee that drafted the bill, said the goal of the measure was to strike "a delicate balance between protecting people and protecting people's civil liberties."

"What this legislation does is it makes sure that the state of Florida is planning and preparing for the next public health emergency," he said at the bill signing. "It funds, the emergency response. It protects individual liberties. It limits government actors, and it provides transparency and accountability for those who would take your liberties."

Leek defended the restriction on vaccine authorizations during the House debate, saying that the COVID-19 vaccines "don't have the same proven history of the same vaccines we require our school children to get. We must recognize that vaccine hesitancy is real and understandable."

He said that while he urges everyone to "please get vaccinated," there remains resistance among the minority community, and the bill tells businesses "they may not enact policies that unfairly and disparately discriminate against our minority populations."

20. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Do you protest McDonald's for not letting you inside without a shirt or shoes?
    Nope. I don't go to McDonald's. I go to my own place, Arby's (and I always wear a shirt and shoes).