Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    I don't think any of my posts qualify as trolling or "assholish."
    Of course you don't.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hmm... I'm getting the sense that when one creates a thread, the thread originator has the ability to levy bans against individual members. Is this conclusion correct?
    Indeed it is.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmm... I'm getting the sense that when one creates a thread, the thread originator has the ability to levy bans against individual members. Is this conclusion correct?
    Yep.

BTW, Legion is our biggest troll here. So I wouldn't pay much attention to him.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Yep.

BTW, Legion is our biggest troll here. So I wouldn't pay much attention to him.
    Ah; warning appreciated. Thank you.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Several years ago, lefties on JPP were angry about conservatives ruining their threads with differing opinions.

Using the Ignore function wasn't enough for them.

They demanded a new mechanism that would allow them to block conservatives from their threads altogether.

JPP's Administrator, Damocles, came up with one.

So, a vote was held.

Quite a few lefties voted for the new functionality that we now call "thread banning".

I, and most conservatives voted against its implementation, but to no avail.

So Damocles allowed individual users to block anyone they want to from their threads.

Here's where it gets amusing.

Apparently, the lefties failed to realize that the same feature could be used to block them from conservative's threads, too. When it began happening, they started complaining again.

Finally, the moderation team had enough and another vote was held, and the usual suspects voted to keep the feature for a second time.

As you've probably figured out by now, what the lefties wanted was a mechanism that allowed them to block conservatives without letting the conservatives "return the favor", so to speak.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I wasn't there. I would have voted against it.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Several years ago, lefties on JPP were angry about conservatives ruining their threads with differing opinions.

Using the Ignore function wasn't enough for them.

They demanded a new mechanism that would allow them to block conservatives from their threads altogether.

As you've probably figured out by now, what the lefties wanted was a mechanism that allowed them to block conservatives without letting the conservatives "return the favor", so to speak.
    I appreciate the background story; thank you. I can't help but notice that while you paint the feature as something "demanded by the lefties," it appears you have no qualms using this tool yourself. Given that I have no history with you, and no negative reputation with this forum, am I correct that you banned me from your thread in order to prevent me from ... in your words ... "ruining your thread with differing opinions?"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Djinn For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-08-2021)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Am I correct that you banned me from your thread in order to prevent me from ... in your words ... "ruining your thread with differing opinions?"
    No, you are not.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

No, you are not.
    I stand corrected then. So what was your motivation to use this feature that you were apparently against?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Djinn For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (05-08-2021)

12. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Djinn,

I appreciate the background story; thank you. I can't help but notice that while you paint the feature as something "demanded by the lefties," it appears you have no qualms using this tool yourself. Given that I have no history with you, and no negative reputation with this forum, am I correct that you banned me from your thread in order to prevent me from ... in your words ... "ruining your thread with differing opinions?"
    The threadban feature is useless. I am a rare polite poster here, so the concept interested me. I tried it for a while. It didn't work out.

The threadban feature is ineffective because trolls developed a work-around. They simply create a new thread with nearly the same title, maybe change one character in the title, then repeatedly post to it so it always comes out on top of the list. The original thread gets scrolled out of sight.

Threadbanning was a nice idea, but without more moderation and a rule to prevent copy-cat threads, the feature is useless.

The Ignore feature is effective enough. It simply relegates the user to scroll through multitudes of Ignored Post place holders.

It would be nice if those could simply be turned off, but we don't have that feature.

If you want to be a polite poster around here, you have to accept that you'll need to aggressively manage a large and ever-growing Ignore List, and you will be doing a lot of scrolling past "Ignored Poster" place holders.

Most people don't want to be bothered with those chores, so we get a lot of nice people who poke in, see how nasty it is, and promptly leave. The lack of rules pretty much guarantees the site will gather all of the trolls and misfits who got thrown out of other chat rooms. It also reduces the moderation duties because squabbles over trolling and abuse hardly exist here. It's almost all allowed.

The upside to all of that is it produces a very active site.

I have found there are a lot of people who seem to enjoy telling off the trolls, sometimes in very nasty terms, but then the same people are able to engage in polite conversation if they trust the other to not sucker-punch them. I've built a lot of friends over the years who are quite cordial to me, but have no qualms about totally unloading on the trolls.

This reflects our changing society where it is now 'cool' to use 'acceptable' profanity, but only in certain circumstances. Other settings demand that one reverts to civil respectable discourse. Mature people know the difference. Others don't seem to grasp the concept.
    Last edited by PoliTalker; 05-08-2021 at 01:47 PM.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Djinn (05-08-2021)

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I stand corrected then. So what was your motivation to use this feature that you were apparently against?
    Are you under the impression that I owe you a justification for my personal choices?

Nevertheless, I will deign to set your mind at ease. Check your inbox.

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

See what I mean?

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    ... The threadban feature is ineffective because trolls developed a work-around. They simply create a new thread with nearly the same title, maybe change one character in the title, then repeatedly post to it so it always comes out on top of the list. The original thread gets scrolled out of sight.
    This was my first thought ... I didn't want to bring it up because as a newcomer, it's not my place to badmouth how other forums operate. Especially when I'm acutely aware that our own forum is a long, long way from perfect.

... If you want to be a polite poster around here, you have to accept that you'll need to aggressively manage a large and ever-growing Ignore List, and you will be doing a lot of scrolling past "Ignored Poster" place holders.
    Oy. Well, good to be forewarned, I suppose. Thank you.

I have found there are a lot of people who seem to enjoy telling off the trolls, sometimes in very nasty terms, but then the same people are able to engage in polite conversation if they trust the other to not sucker-punch them. I've built a lot of friends over the years who are quite cordial to me, but have no qualms about totally unloading on the trolls.

This reflects our changing society where it is now 'cool' to use 'acceptable' profanity, but only in certain circumstances. Other settings demand that one reverts to civil respectable discourse. Mature people know the difference. Others don't seem to grasp the concept.
    A respectable observation; I thank you again for your insights.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does this help?
    Does this?

"Members banned from this thread: Cypress, FUCK THE POLICE, Jarod, Mott the Hoople, blackascoal, Legion Fag, evince, ZappasGuitar, signalmankenneth, Phantasmal, Rune, Althea, moon, iolo, Mr.Badguy, jet57, danielpalos, Bill, domer76, qmuddy2, archives, Guille, Nomad, Micawber, crowonapost, CASPER, floridafan, Mr.Mason, ThatOwlWoman, Tranquillus in Exile, katzgar, Lesion, Jade Dragon, Nordberg, Crazy Cat Lady, Bourbon, Frank Apisa, volsrock, PoliTalker, rjhenn, guno, Tacomaman, Jack, LV426, Old Trapper, NiftyNiblick, Charoite, Poor Richard Saunders, StoneByStone, David Jeffrey Spetch, John Barron, WalterWilson, Mason?, Port Tack, Cinnabar, gemini104104, Iolo/Penderyn, Trumpet, saltydancin, ]2epo]v[an, Trump's Brain, Jerome, Walt, AProudLefty, Dutch Uncle, TexanManWithPlans, Geeko Sportivo, Gamewell45, Concart, serenity, Matt Dillon, ParachuteAdams, martin, acoddo, Diesel, Sally Stockings, RedStone7476, jakemax, War=Peace, Whythink, Hoosier Daddy, no worries, tigerred59, LeftTurnClyde, American Man, jonathahorth1234, Common Sense, litrla, captain ern, hdphotolover, goat and BeBestBiden"

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...28#post4396528
    Last edited by ThatOwlWoman; 05-08-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-08-2021), Doc Dutch (05-08-2021)

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Legion is prescient. The second he saw your name he KNEW that you must not be allowed to challenge his authoritah.

"Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-08-2021), Djinn (05-08-2021)