Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greetings all!

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Greetings all!

Hello JPP -

I'm a staff member from Political Hotwire. I occasionally join other forums to get insights into how other forums are run with an eye toward improving our own processes and policies.

Also, I have a question for a staff member, but there seems to be a ten-post minimum for sending PMs. I've no interest in spamming nine posts to circumvent this, and would be grateful if someone might waive this understandable restriction.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
    Hello JPP -

I'm a staff member from Political Hotwire. I occasionally join other forums to get insights into how other forums are run with an eye toward improving our own processes and policies.

Also, I have a question for a staff member, but there seems to be a ten-post minimum for sending PMs. I've no interest in spamming nine posts to circumvent this, and would be grateful if someone might waive this understandable restriction.
    No.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

anonymoose (05-12-2021), Drummie123 (05-12-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome.

Why don't you just give us your take a few subjects?

Or do you have no intention of being a regular here...

I wouldn't blame you.

It can be a pretty rough place with so few rules.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Filed Under: Entitlement.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye10 For This Post:

Drummie123 (05-12-2021), Hermes Thoth (05-12-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello JPP -

Just post in various threads.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Hello JPP -

Why not just ask your question here...rather than wanting to do it in a PM?

Maybe someone other than a staff member can answer it.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

PH must have some pretty strict moderation if it's been around since '05 and has such low volume.

It's a slippery slope. If there is excessive moderation, it results in low volume of posts. That makes it hard to build more participation.

If there is little moderation, it results in lots of trolling, but the volume of posts generated by flame wars makes a chat board pretty active.

Let's check it out...

Yup. Guessed it:

"You agree to not use this website to submit or link to any content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, ..."

That would rule out 95% of the posts at JPP and relegate it to being a similar low-volume site.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Althea (05-07-2021), AProudLefty (05-07-2021)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    PH must have some pretty strict moderation if it's been around since '05 and has such low volume.

It's a slippery slope. If there is excessive moderation, it results in low volume of posts. That makes it hard to build more participation.

If there is little moderation, it results in lots of trolling, but the volume of posts generated by flame wars makes a chat board pretty active.

Let's check it out...

Yup. Guessed it:

"You agree to not use this website to submit or link to any content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, ..."

That would rule out 95% of the posts at JPP and relegate it to being a similar low-volume site.
    And yet Twitter thrives.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Why not just ask your question here...rather than wanting to do it in a PM?

Maybe someone other than a staff member can answer it.
    It involves naming other users, and is the sort of thing best not shared in public. If the ten-post thing can't be waived, that's fine... This isn't exactly an emergency issue, and I'll hit ten posts eventually.

Per PoliTalker's post, one of the downsides of PH is that when the site owner migrated the software from vBulletin to Xenoforo, staff lost a LOT of access - including the ability to update the official rules page. As such, the wording has been unchanged for years - despite the fact that we've made tweaks to the "rules supplements" which are editable. Yeah, it's not ideal, by a long shot.

Many thanks, all.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Djinn For This Post:

PoliTalker (05-07-2021)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello AProudLefty,

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    And yet Twitter thrives.

Twitter is far more permissive than PH. And besides. It's a lot more than just politics.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-07-2021)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quick question ... I just noticed that I was banned from this thread. This confuses me - because I'd never posted in that thread.

Under what circumstances can one be threadbanned from a thread in which one has not (yet) participated?

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quick question ... I just noticed that I was banned from this thread. This confuses me - because I'd never posted in that thread. Under what circumstances can one be threadbanned from a thread in which one has not (yet) participated?
    Does this help?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    It's one thing to thread ban habitual trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I ban people.
    Then I’m a coward and proud of it. I will ignore them and ban them.
    Guess which Legion Troll gets banned from my threads from now on!
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I often have a thread ban list when I start a thread.
    It's a good way to cut down on trolls who only show up to start flame wars or derail the topic.
    If you're trying to have a serious discussion, whether it's off-topic or about politics, there are some who just cannot act like adults and should be excluded.
    I thread-ban the known trolls and the more virulent racists like TDAK, TOP, CFM, Legion, USF, H. Moron, etc. They exist only to hijack a discussion and turn it into a new segment of their ongoing vendettas with normal ppl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I only ban obvious trolls and posters who blatantly engage in overt racism, misogyny, bigotry, libel, and slander. Those are not forms of "free speech" and they are not even remotely close to conventional political speech. The only reason anyone could make it onto my thread ban list is if they are either a troll, or they are a terrible human being.
    The only people who ever get banned are racists, slanderous liars, and belligerent trolls. I have been here since 2006 and have put up with a vast litany of insults, toxic grudges, bogus innuendo, slander, and petty resentments. So you are going to have to work much harder to make the case I am thin-skinned.
    Does not seem cowardly to me. Like other mature adults who respect social etiquette, it just makes sense to exclude known racists, belligerent bigots, girlish gossipers, and libelers from civilized conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charoite View Post
    I don't allow racists, or haters in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I thread banned his ass so he couldn't shit the place up with his stinking shit.
    There are a handful of posters here who are such good-for-nothing trolls they don't deserve to be allowed to post in my threads. Or anyone else's either. Ergo, I ban only them from every thread I start.
    JPP = filthy right wing toilet. Primarily because the JPP admin allows multiple accounts or "sock puppets", as well as unlimited thread banning by OP's. Congratulations. And before you Trumptard puke bags start flapping your chancre infected lips about the hypocrisy of me talking about thread banning in a thread where I banned every one of you I could think of, all I can say is.... enjoy the taste of your own medicine, shit bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    It is every poster's option to ban as many others as he/she decides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Banning all the idiots is the best first line of defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    I've never put anybody on ' Ignore ' but my reserve thread ban serves useful purposes. Once you've been a member for some considerable time here you can anticipate the reaction of the forum trolls to any given topic. Sometimes you might want to investigate a topic with other reasonable members and so you post your ban to eliminate the dross from your thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The trolls often derail the thread. I think banning trolls is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charoite View Post
    If you want to have an off topic discussion here you normally have to ban a few out necessity.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    There are trolls who trash threads. This is a way to enable rational discourse.
    Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Not wanting asshole trolls is not censoring.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Does this help?
    Not especially. I've only been on the site for a day - not nearly long enough to have pissed of anyone significantly. And I don't think any of my posts qualify as trolling or "assholish."

Did I break some rule of which I was unaware?

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Who the hell saves posts over years?

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

Hmm... I'm getting the sense that when one creates a thread, the thread originator has the ability to levy bans against individual members. Is this conclusion correct?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Djinn For This Post:

Althea (05-08-2021), PoliTalker (05-08-2021)