Members banned from this thread: AProudLefty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Republicans in the news

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I hope you didn't misunderstand ... I was NOT questioning the accuracy of your words ... it's just that subject was too esoteric for the board I was on
    I didn't misunderstand. I try to provide substantiation wherever possible, even if I'm not challenged.

Isn't it amusing to watch leftists claim with a straight face that they lost elections due to fraud but it's not a significant problem at all when they "win"?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I didn't misunderstand. I try to provide substantiation wherever possible, even if I'm not challenged.

Isn't it amusing to watch leftists claim with a straight face that they lost elections due to fraud but it's not a significant problem at all when they "win"?
    Yep

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default DeSantis To Unemployed: Start Looking For A Job

Unemployed Floridians receiving state benefits will soon have to provide proof that they’re looking for a job.

Governor Ron DeSantis lifted the requirement that people receiving benefits look for work early in the pandemic when unemployment was rising and few were hiring.

But DeSantis has lifted restrictions on businesses, and the unemployment rate is below the national average.

“Normally when you’re getting unemployment, the whole idea is that’s temporary, and you need to be looking for work to be able to get off unemployment,” DeSantis said at a news conference on Wednesday. “It was a disaster, so we suspended those job search requirements. I think it’s pretty clear now, we have an abundance of job openings.”

He said May will be the last month people can collect benefits without looking for a new job.

“We absolutely can put more people to work. The demand is there. Business want to hire more people,” DeSantis said.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/05/06/gov-ron-desantis-to-unemployed-start-looking-for-a-job/

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Gov. Henry McMaster is ordering the state’s Department of Employment and Workforce to withdraw from the federal government’s federal pandemic unemployment programs.

Starting on June 30, the state will no longer participate in the expanded unemployment benefits put in place because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“South Carolina’s businesses have borne the brunt of the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Those businesses that have survived — both large and small, and including those in the hospitality, tourism, manufacturing, and healthcare sectors — now face an unprecedented labor shortage,” McMaster wrote in a letter to DEW Executive Director Dan Ellzey.

South Carolina’s unemployment rate reached 12.8% in April of last year. In March, the unemployment rate was down to 5.1%, below the national rate of 6%.

McMaster said South Carolina has more than 81,000 available job openings as the economy has reopened and as restrictions have been lifted.

https://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article251215674.html

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default FEC drops case against Trump

The saga of former President Donald Trump paying adult entertainer Stormy Daniels to keep quiet—and Michael Cohen, who arranged the payment, going to prison for it—seems like it happened a lifetime ago at this point.

But the Federal Election Commission (FEC) has only now announced a decision to formally drop the matter, which the agency had been exploring as a possible violation of election law.

"In December 2020, the F.E.C. issued an internal report from its Office of General Counsel on how to proceed in its review. The office said it had found 'reason to believe' violations of campaign finance law were made 'knowingly and willfully' by the Trump campaign," the failing New York Times reports.

But the commissioners ultimately decided not to go forward with proceedings against Trump, announcing that decision yesterday. Two FEC commissioners—both DEMOCRATS—had voted to go forward with the case, while two Republican commissioners voted to dismiss. Another commissioner recused himself and another was absent for the vote.

https://reason.com/2021/05/07/fec-drops-case-against-trump-for-alleged-hush-money-payments/