Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Thread: The answer to life, the universe, and everything

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Default The answer to life, the universe, and everything

My favorite physicist discusses the best explanation we have for the fundamental nature of the universe.

The problem with quantum mechanics:
    it is a great predictive tool, but we do not even understand it at a rigorous level, nor do we know whether or not it actually tells us anything true about the fundamental nature of reality.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

We needn't know the origin nor the consistency of the universe to clearly see that it was unnecessary, however.

As great as the rewards can sometimes be, they never adequately compensate the travails.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    We needn't know the origin nor the consistency of the universe to clearly see that it was unnecessary, however.

As great as the rewards can sometimes be, they never adequately compensate the travails.
    I have no opinion on the necessity and inevitability of the universe --- my human mind is only marginally evolved past a chimpanzee's to ever hope to comprehend the nature of all things.

The goals I set for humankind more modestly in the next 50 years is to answer these questions: Is there a grand unified theory of forces? What is dark energy and dark matter? Is there a multiverse? What, if anything, does the quantum wave function collapse tell us about objective reality?

After that, we need prominent psychologists to unravel why conservatives seem genetically hostile to science and inductive reason.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I have no opinion on the necessity and inevitability of the universe --- my human mind is only marginally evolved past a chimpanzee's to ever hope to comprehend the nature of all things.

The goals I set for humankind more modestly in the next 50 years is to answer these questions: Is there a grand unified theory of forces? What is dark energy and dark matter? Is there a multiverse? What, if anything, does the quantum wave function collapse tell us about objective reality?

After that, we need prominent psychologists to unravel why conservatives seem genetically hostile to science and inductive reason.
    I am mildly curious about the source of sub-atomic particles. From there on, it all falls into place for me. Random confluence.

Even as a secular person secure in my atheism, though, I still hope to God that I don't have to be around another fifty years to think about it.

If I actually lived into my 120s, my brain would be functioning barely above trumpanzee level.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Cypress (05-06-2021)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I am mildly curious about the source of sub-atomic particles. From there on, it all falls into place for me. Random confluence.

Even as a secular person secure in my atheism, though, I still hope to God that I don't have to be around another fifty years to think about it.

If I actually lived into my 120s, my brain would be functioning barely above trumpanzee level.
    It is really the questions which matter more than the answers.

Physicists at the end of the 19th century were strutting around because they thought Newton, Maxwell, and Faraday had figured it all out, and all that was left to do was tying up some loose ends to the state of human knowledge.

The problem was, they were not asking the right questions.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    It is really the questions which matter more than the answers.

Physicists at the end of the 19th century were strutting around because they thought Newton, Maxwell, and Faraday had figured it all out, and all that was left to do was tying up some loose ends to the state of human knowledge.

The problem was, they were not asking the right questions.
    Keep up the quest, then. It' a good thing.
    I'm far from anti-intellectual. I'm just tired.