Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,292 Times in 13,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

Default The lost--last?--school year

Here in Arizona it's reported that 38,500 students disappeared from K-12 school enrollment last year as a result of closing in-person instruction. Most of those students were low income minorities.

Seems to me that the lockdown, given that children were almost immune to China Disease, has seriously hurt the education of an appallingly large number of children. That's something we're going to have a near impossible time fixing. Yet, our "leaders" seem oblivious to this public education debacle.

More than 38,500 children disappeared from both virtual and physical classrooms this school year as the coronavirus spread through Arizona.

The loss, a 3.3% drop year over year according to Arizona Department of Education data, has school officials scrambling to figure out where these children went, if they will return in the fall and how they will fashion their curriculum for students who may have had significant learning loss.
    https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ds/7199023002/

I don't know how many kids in other states disappeared from school last year, but it's got to be significant. That's a major blow we're going to have a hard time recovering from. One more reason the whole lockdown was / is a disaster.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

anatta (05-07-2021), anonymoose (05-06-2021), Blackwater Lunchbreak (05-06-2021), Callinectes (05-07-2021), Darth Omar (05-06-2021), War=Peace (05-09-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Here in Arizona it's reported that 38,500 students disappeared from K-12 school enrollment last year as a result of closing in-person instruction. Most of those students were low income minorities.

Seems to me that the lockdown, given that children were almost immune to China Disease, has seriously hurt the education of an appallingly large number of children. That's something we're going to have a near impossible time fixing. Yet, our "leaders" seem oblivious to this public education debacle.

I don't know how many kids in other states disappeared from school last year, but it's got to be significant. That's a major blow we're going to have a hard time recovering from. One more reason the whole lockdown was / is a disaster.
    yes. they're traitors to humanity.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    yes. they're traitors to humanity.
    They want to decimate the human population.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/05/06...y-gets-darker/

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Conservatives generally do not care about "low income" kids, except when they can be weaponized against political opponents, as in the OP..

Which political ideology is it that routinely opposes policies which would help low income kids and their families, aka Medicaid expansion, free pre-school, food stamps, AFDC, free community college?

That's right.

It is conservatives who throughout history have opposed public measures to improve the standing of low income kids.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

AProudLefty (05-06-2021), Guno צְבִי (05-06-2021), Phantasmal (05-06-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Conservatives generally do not care about "low income" kids, except when they can be weaponized against political opponents, as in the OP..

Which political ideology is it that routinely opposes policies which would help low income kids and their families, aka Medicaid expansion, free pre-school, food stamps, AFDC, free community college?

That's right.

It is conservatives who throughout history have opposed public measures to improve the standing of low income kids.
    Then why are conservatives the ones that are concerned that so many kids missed school and want a return to in-room in person teaching versus the progressive left wanting to continue lockdowns, video instruction, and such that caused so many kids to miss out on school?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Callinectes (05-07-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then why are conservatives the ones that are concerned that so many kids missed school and want a return to in-room in person teaching versus the progressive left wanting to continue lockdowns, video instruction, and such that caused so many kids to miss out on school?
    Because conservatives wanted to turn it into a political weapon.

I would be curious if you have a posting record of ever starting a thread promoting a policy to assist children of poor immigrant families, and kids of the working poor.

Btw, do you not claim to be a nonpartisan libertarian? Then why are virtually 100 percent of your posts attacks on Democrats and defenses of Republicans?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Phantasmal (05-06-2021)

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Because conservatives wanted to turn it into a political weapon.

I would be curious if you have a posting record of ever starting a thread promoting a policy to assist children of poor immigrant families, and kids of the working poor.
    I just did. That schools should reopen immediately and begin in person education like they were pre-China Disease. After all, kids rarely catch it, and are almost universally immune to it. That would be a huge boon to poor minority families.

It's the teacher's unions, and Democrats that want to keep schools closed.

Oh, I don't give a shit about illegal immigrants getting anything from us other than jail time and deportation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Callinectes (05-07-2021)

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default "But think of the children!"

I just did. That schools should reopen immediately and begin in person education like they were pre-China Disease. After all, kids rarely catch it, and are almost universally immune to it. That would be a huge boon to poor minority families.

It's the teacher's unions, and Democrats that want to keep schools closed.

Oh, I don't give a shit about illegal immigrants getting anything from us other than jail time and deportation.
    It's basically just a fact that Republicans have never considered poor children a public policy priority.

Republicans wanted schools open because for 14 months they bought into the Big Lie: that COVID was no worse than the common cold. They thought that closing anything down (businesses, schools, football games) were all part of an elaborate communist plot to hurt Trump. They are not going to deviate from that posture now.

Republicans were never out there with the welfare of poor children keeping them up at night.

If Republicans actually care about poor children, they would not be fighting tooth and nail to stop Joe Biden's American Families Plan to provide billions in funding for the childcare system: universal preschool, paid family leave, and subsidized childcare.

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,827 Times in 3,623 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 368 Times in 352 Posts

Because Trump told you to say that. That is the entire story.

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Here in Arizona it's reported that 38,500 students disappeared from K-12 school enrollment last year as a result of closing in-person instruction.
    Look on the bright side. Those 38,500 escaped leftist indoctrination and being molested by DEMOCRAT-donating unionized teachers. It's not like kids learn anything useful in government schools, anyway.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,072 Times in 7,504 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Does Arizona have schools other than the fake University of Phoenix?

Is it something new that they're just trying now?

Good luck with the experiment.

Maybe the few Arizonians with brains won't have to move to New Mexico anymore.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

The ***pointless*** school closures disproportionately affected poor kids and didn’t do the rest of them ‘any favors’.

It borders on criminal.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

anonymoose (05-06-2021), Matt Dillon (05-10-2021)

19. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    The ***pointless*** school closures disproportionately affected poor kids and didn’t do the rest of them ‘any favors’.
    They were not pointless...schools needed to prepare for in-person learning because you couldn't control your fat, lying mouth about COVID and turned it into a pandemic.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

20. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

We are the ones who wanted to expand broadband service to everyone, and get kids state-provided materials and computers.

But you all said no, and stamped your childish feet, and screamed that we should reopen schools as you were lying about COVID.

So fuck off with your crocodile tears.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,320 Times in 9,828 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    We are the ones who wanted to expand broadband service to everyone, and get kids state-provided materials and computers.

But you all said no, and stamped your childish feet, and screamed that we should reopen schools as you were lying about COVID.

So fuck off with your crocodile tears.
    that argument makes no sense. you're dumb.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blackwater Lunchbreak For This Post:

Callinectes (05-07-2021), Matt Dillon (05-10-2021)