Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: US steel drops plan for $1.5 billion plant

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,245 Times in 13,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 840 Times in 799 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Cool! I bet that's fun on windy roads. We have some nice roads here. Up over mountains through state parks and country back roads. Beautiful scenery, but you have to watch for deer. My oil cooler sits low, anything bigger than a squirrel scares the shit out of me!
    Absolutely! Corners like it's on rails. I put a Cortina rally engine in place of the original so it has Webber's instead of the original Stromburg's and a lot more power. Added a second radiator due to being in Arizona. I take the spare out for weight compensation when necessary.
    Now for British weird, there's this plenum-like chamber in front of the passenger compartment where the blower for the passenger compartment fan blows into. Since it doesn't have A/C, what I do is put two big aluminum roasting pans in that and load 40 to 60 lbs. of ice in them. That's the A/C on a hot day! It works for several hours believe it or not.

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,243 Times in 7,130 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Funny thing happened to me last year. I was sitting at a red light and 2 Harley's pulled up along side me. The one closest to me looks over and sarcastically says he'll give me $2500 for my Cobra. I looked him in the eyes and said if you can beat it, you can have it. He bowed his head and said nothing further. I looked over and smiled when the light turned green.

One of my friends has a '70 Chevelle SS/396. He has lots of show winning trophies. It's nice. There's a crew of us from a car club that travel together to different shows. There's some very nice cars in our club.
    Your little cobra would outrun any Harley D, even that wicked freak with the V8, and most rice burners too in a quarter- even in a 8th more than likely!

I used to run my SWINGER (Wasn't stock) for ET's at Green Valley and sometimes they would put me up against the drag bikes! Yes, They made me out to look slow!

A Flat 12 was best I ever ran- BUT EVEN THAT WAS A BIT SCARY and seemed fast to me. And of course my street tires smoked half the way, and I'm sure that slowed down my ET.

My best friend bought a new SS 396 NOVA in 69, and we had lots of fun in that thing. It was sharp looking with that cowl induction and hood stripes. It was White with Black Stripes on the hood.

It definitely would pull the Roadrunners, Chargers, and even most Cuda's by several car lengths!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 05-06-2021 at 10:07 PM.

3. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,047 Times in 7,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

The Cobra is a fun machine, perfect for what it's supposed to be.

It's super primitive, though.
    My '62 Corvette [restomod on an aftermarket chassis] isn't quite as fast, I'll readily admit, but it has power steering, electric windows, and a folding top.
    Even then, I miss A/C, Sirius XM, GPS, and a backup camera.
    I should have commission an entirely custom dashboard with the build...but I didn't.
    I wanted it to look like a 1962 Corvette.

Anyway, my point is that a Cobra is great fun, but it's specifically what it was meant to be,
    while my Corvette is a full-function car [or was for 1962]. I wouldn't want to go on a 1000 mile trip in a Cobra,
    but now that I don't do that anyway, a Cobra might have been fun.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

4. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Absolutely! Corners like it's on rails. I put a Cortina rally engine in place of the original so it has Webber's instead of the original Stromburg's and a lot more power. Added a second radiator due to being in Arizona. I take the spare out for weight compensation when necessary.
    Now for British weird, there's this plenum-like chamber in front of the passenger compartment where the blower for the passenger compartment fan blows into. Since it doesn't have A/C, what I do is put two big aluminum roasting pans in that and load 40 to 60 lbs. of ice in them. That's the A/C on a hot day! It works for several hours believe it or not.
    Not to butt in, but that's a Kool air conditioner! Never would have thunk it!

5. #215 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,603 Times in 17,045 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post

My '62 Corvette [restomod on an aftermarket chassis] isn't quite as fast, I'll readily admit, but it has power steering, electric windows, and a folding top.
    I should have commission an entirely custom dashboard with the build...but I didn't.

Anyway, my point is that a Cobra is great fun, but it's specifically what it was meant to be,
    while my Corvette is a full-function car [or was for 1962]. I wouldn't want to go on a 1000 mile trip in a Cobra,
    Anything over an hour and a half is misery driving the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, it's fun as hell (except when you get caught in a heavy downpour) and my friends all stop and give me a break on long drives to car shows. It's a very close replica of 1965 race car technology (with upgraded chassis/suspension) and all the comforts (or lack thereof). No power steering, no power brakes, no leg room, stationary steering wheel almost in your mouth, left arm hangs outside the door while driving, loud as hell, fumes in the cockpit at red lights, not even a damn glove box. All the thumb's up and attention it gathers is all part of the fun. It's worth it, as long as I can still get in and out of it.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Those were a cool style car that I liked better than the 63 Sting Ray. OK maybe not better, but as much!

What color? Let me guess White, Black, Or Red? OR TWO-TONE?

7. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,047 Times in 7,484 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Those were a cool style car that I liked better than the 63 Sting Ray. OK maybe not better, but as much!

What color? Let me guess White, Black, Or Red? OR TWO-TONE?
    Black, specifically, Cadillac Black Diamond Tricoat. I think Tuxedo Black was the stock black, but I wanted something with a little more sizzle.
    The similar 1961 body shell had contrasting side "coves," but the 62's were single colored.
    Her nickname is Mazikeen, after Lucifer's favorite female demon.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Geeko Sportivo (05-07-2021)

9. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Thanks trump.

Good thing he's gone
    It's because he's gone that they are stopping expansions. Jobs gone, American steel gone. How is that good? I don't see it.

10. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

One can be anything they want on the internet. Apparently you choose to be a rich douchebag idiot.

Or..perhaps that's the cards you've been dealt.

11. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,013 Times in 14,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    It's because he's gone that they are stopping expansions. Jobs gone, American steel gone. How is that good? I don't see it.
    Nope. The trump virus is a big reason for this.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who engineered this "Trump virus"?

I'm betting it's not even China and it's Bill fucking Gates.

That's just speculation, though.

Trump made sure vaccines were developed ASAP. What say you to that?

Operation Warp Speed?

13. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 69 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries

the dnc and chinese virus

14. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Dillon View Post
    Who engineered this "Trump virus"?

I'm betting it's not even China and it's Bill fucking Gates.

That's just speculation, though.

Trump made sure vaccines were developed ASAP. What say you to that?

Operation Warp Speed?
    trump golfed. He denied the existence of the trump virus for months, as tens of thousands died. He did nothing to stop the spread of the pandemic. In fact, he's responsible for it.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

15. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Son of the Revolution View Post
    the dnc and chinese virus
    Nope. trump did away with the scientists that we had in China, and other locations around the world. He wanted this to spread.

16. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    Your little cobra would outrun any Harley D, even that wicked freak with the V8, and most rice burners too in a quarter- even in a 8th more than likely!

I used to run my SWINGER (Wasn't stock) for ET's at Green Valley and sometimes they would put me up against the drag bikes! Yes, They made me out to look slow!

A Flat 12 was best I ever ran- BUT EVEN THAT WAS A BIT SCARY and seemed fast to me. And of course my street tires smoked half the way, and I'm sure that slowed down my ET.

My best friend bought a new SS 396 NOVA in 69, and we had lots of fun in that thing. It was sharp looking with that cowl induction and hood stripes. It was White with Black Stripes on the hood.

It definitely would pull the Roadrunners, Chargers, and even most Cuda's by several car lengths!
    Wat about dat 750 interceptor, though? I believe that was Honda. (japan)
    What if it was running jet fuel?

I can testify to 169 mph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Interceptor_VF750F