Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 94

Thread: US prosecutors Portland dropping almost all charges on rioters

  1. #76 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    10,400
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,714 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 181 Times in 167 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    Doesn't change the facts you are ignoring either.

    Fact - Capitol rioters were charged with crimes no one from Portland was charged with. (unauthorized in the Capitol, and unauthorized in area where someone protected by Secret Service is located.)
    This is a formal fallacy in the form of an illicit major. What you are arguing is essentially this:

    Most (or all) Capitol rioters were charged with being in an unauthorized area where someone protected by the SS was located (All A are B)
    No Portland rioters were so charged (No C are A)
    Therefore no Portland rioters are the equivalent of Capitol rioters (No C are B)

    That is excusing the Portland rioters from the 90% of what actually happened there that was an exact equivalent to the Capitol riot only far more violent. That is, the Portland rioters attempted to storm a federal building protected by federal police and security, fought with them, tried to force entry, and did things like destroy federal property. That the Portland rioters failed to gain entry doesn't change that.

    Fact - You accused me of an ipse dixit for pointing out facts that were well known.
    No, I did that because you failed to prove your case right off. I didn't know Pence was in the building. When you finally demonstrated that, which you could have done from the start, I acknowledged I was wrong.

    Fact - The story you linked to clearly has 'facts' wrong. It claims the US attorney was fired by Biden. In fact Billy Williams did what almost every US attorney does when a new President takes office. He resigned. https://www.opb.org/article/2021/02/...ey-this-month/
    This isn't true either. For example, Trump ordered ALL US attorneys appointed by Obama fired. Obama did the same thing to Bush. Clinton did it back in the 90's. Bush II was an exception keeping some and firing others. Williams might have resigned, but that doesn't change the outcome or direction of the story.

    Fact - No one who is getting deferred resolution agreement was charged with multiple crimes. Everyone who is getting a DRA was released at their first hearing. I can find no instances of anyone not being released at their preliminary hearing.
    For which riot?

    Fact - Some of the persons whose charges were dropped appear to have never been indicted after their preliminary hearing.
    The first name mentioned in the article you posted - arrested in July, Preliminary hearing the next day and released. October- signed waiver of speedy indictment which is supposed to happen within 30 days. The next court date is in April when the charges are dropped "with prejudice."
    https://www.courtlistener.com/docket...es-v-bouchard/
    Again, for which riot?

    Fact - Charles Randolph Comfort was not indicted for attacking a police officer. He was indicted for 118 U.S.C. § 231(a)(3) which has a maximum penalty of 5 years.
    https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...5029.1.1_1.pdf
    https://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?...edition=prelim
    Cherry picking. That one person, faced with overwhelming evidence of his crime was indicted doesn't make the case for the majority getting light sentences or having their cases dismissed in Portland while even the most minor charges in the Capitol riot are being pressed home with a vengeance.

  2. #77 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    36,503
    Thanks
    11,744
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 6,242 Posts
    Groans
    421
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,417 Posts

    Default

    All Capitol rioters were in an unauthorized area at the Capitol.
    The Portland rioters were not.
    Therefore, the Portland rioters were not at the Capitol.

    THAT IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION I EXPECT FROM YOU.
    Yo so ugly yo momma tied meats around your neck so you can pet the dogs but it turned the dogs into liberal veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Science does not use supporting evidence. It only uses conflicting evidence.

  3. #78 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    10,400
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,714 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 181 Times in 167 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    All Capitol rioters were in an unauthorized area at the Capitol.
    The Portland rioters were not.
    Therefore, the Portland rioters were not at the Capitol.

    Another variant that no doubt will be brought up in defense of the Portland rioters...

  4. #79 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    36,503
    Thanks
    11,744
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 6,242 Posts
    Groans
    421
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,417 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Another variant that no doubt will be brought up in defense of the Portland rioters...
    LOL. No. The opposite is true. That defense will be brought up for the Capitol rioters.
    THAT IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION I EXPECT FROM YOU.
    Yo so ugly yo momma tied meats around your neck so you can pet the dogs but it turned the dogs into liberal veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Science does not use supporting evidence. It only uses conflicting evidence.

  5. #80 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    10,400
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,714 Posts
    Groans
    2
    Groaned 181 Times in 167 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    LOL. No. The opposite is true. That defense will be brought up for the Capitol rioters.
    Now that is true... The "Hillary defense" strikes again!

  6. #81 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    25,472
    Thanks
    16,619
    Thanked 13,225 Times in 9,085 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 5,154 Times in 4,465 Posts

    Default

    Hello T. A. Gardner,

    Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    One word: Kavanaugh

    https://nypost.com/2021/04/23/biden-...ob-psaki-says/



    During his Senate confirmation hearing...
    https://thefederalist.com/2021/03/18...hhs-secretary/

    If a private hospital chooses not to do an elective procedure, they should have the right to do so. You say "Religion is voluntary." Well, so is abortion. Very few people need an abortion for valid medical reasons. A person can also go elsewhere than that private hospital for care.
    Don't leave out that he prosecuted pro-life groups for exposing Planned Parenthood's selling of organs from aborted fetuses...
    Or, that he is against laws circumventing parental consent for minors to have an abortion including smuggling and trafficking them across state lines to avoid such laws.



    Anyone who defends human rights abuses in countries like China and Cuba is not a hero of any sort. Her deal with Iran, as we know now, did nothing to stop nuclear proliferation but instead likely sped it up. Today Iran is openly admitting enrichment to over 60% putting them most of the way to having weapons grade material.
    https://apnews.com/article/iran-uran...65fd4e31c1131b



    Again, Kavanagh. As for her and FOX, I could care less. The reason Biden appointed her to a temporary position was to avoid her having to go through a confirmation hearing. The administration was that worried that she couldn't get vetted. She hasn't had to make her massive lobbying ties known this way because she doesn't have to make a financial disclosure statement for a temporary position. The position she's in right now is one that is the same as that of Karl Rove, David Axelrod, and others in the past with the President's ear. Unlike them, she was deliberately made a temporary position to avoid disclosure and scrutiny. Why?
    Also anyone who thinks Mao's writing is worth studying that much should be taken with the same incredulity as someone who thinks Hitler's writing is worthwhile. After all, Mao is easily the most brutal and deadly dictator in all of human history.
    And these people you have mentioned are somehow preventing punishment of those who deserve it? How are they doing that? Are they directing the prosecutors in Portland?

    And how do you know those whose cases were dropped deserve punishment if the prosecutors don't think they can prove a case? Just because you feel like they should be?

    The only reason the ones in Portland were is because the (somebody's in charge) administration is rife with radical Leftists who don't want to punish their own...
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

  7. #82 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"s"
    Posts
    26,384
    Thanks
    4,101
    Thanked 14,537 Times in 10,843 Posts
    Groans
    122
    Groaned 298 Times in 285 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    LOL. No. The opposite is true. That defense will be brought up for the Capitol rioters.
    Then the destroying public property charges will be brought up. That will be a good defense since the Portland rioters destroyed and burned police cars. That's a tough one to deny.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  8. #83 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"s"
    Posts
    26,384
    Thanks
    4,101
    Thanked 14,537 Times in 10,843 Posts
    Groans
    122
    Groaned 298 Times in 285 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello T. A. Gardner,



    And these people you have mentioned are somehow preventing punishment of those who deserve it? How are they doing that? Are they directing the prosecutors in Portland?

    And how do you know those whose cases were dropped deserve punishment if the prosecutors don't think they can prove a case? Just because you feel like they should be?
    Better reason to have just shot them.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  9. #84 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    36,503
    Thanks
    11,744
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 6,242 Posts
    Groans
    421
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,417 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Then the destroying public property charges will be brought up. That will be a good defense since the Portland rioters destroyed and burned police cars. That's a tough one to deny.
    Only if they were released and charges dropped.
    THAT IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION I EXPECT FROM YOU.
    Yo so ugly yo momma tied meats around your neck so you can pet the dogs but it turned the dogs into liberal veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Science does not use supporting evidence. It only uses conflicting evidence.

  10. #85 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"s"
    Posts
    26,384
    Thanks
    4,101
    Thanked 14,537 Times in 10,843 Posts
    Groans
    122
    Groaned 298 Times in 285 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Only if they were released and charges dropped.
    Isn't that what this thread is about?
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  11. #86 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    36,503
    Thanks
    11,744
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 6,242 Posts
    Groans
    421
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,417 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Isn't that what this thread is about?
    Nothing about police cars being set on fire.
    THAT IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION I EXPECT FROM YOU.
    Yo so ugly yo momma tied meats around your neck so you can pet the dogs but it turned the dogs into liberal veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Science does not use supporting evidence. It only uses conflicting evidence.

  12. #87 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"s"
    Posts
    26,384
    Thanks
    4,101
    Thanked 14,537 Times in 10,843 Posts
    Groans
    122
    Groaned 298 Times in 285 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Nothing about police cars being set on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Only if they were released and charges dropped.
    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Isn't that what this thread is about?
    No games. I'm not playing.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  13. #88 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    36,503
    Thanks
    11,744
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 6,242 Posts
    Groans
    421
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,417 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    No games. I'm not playing.
    What games? You said they destroyed and set the police cars on fire. I see nothing about that in the OP and the article.
    THAT IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION I EXPECT FROM YOU.
    Yo so ugly yo momma tied meats around your neck so you can pet the dogs but it turned the dogs into liberal veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Science does not use supporting evidence. It only uses conflicting evidence.

  14. #89 | Top
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"s"
    Posts
    26,384
    Thanks
    4,101
    Thanked 14,537 Times in 10,843 Posts
    Groans
    122
    Groaned 298 Times in 285 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    What games? You said they destroyed and set the police cars on fire. I see nothing about that in the OP and the article.
    Releasing those in Portland who were responsible for burning police cars is a good defense for those who destroyed public property at the capitol.
    I cannot explain it any simpler. And I won't.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

  15. #90 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    36,503
    Thanks
    11,744
    Thanked 7,647 Times in 6,242 Posts
    Groans
    421
    Groaned 1,474 Times in 1,417 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Releasing those in Portland who were responsible for burning police cars is a good defense for those who destroyed public property at the capitol.
    I cannot explain it any simpler. And I won't.
    As I have stated, IF they were released after being arrested for destroying the police cars. I see nothing about that in the OP and the article. If that happened, then yes it would make for a good defense.

    From the article, it seems that most of them are assaults and violence. The Capitol rioters can use that as a defense.
    THAT IS AN ASTUTE OBSERVATION I EXPECT FROM YOU.
    Yo so ugly yo momma tied meats around your neck so you can pet the dogs but it turned the dogs into liberal veggies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Science does not use supporting evidence. It only uses conflicting evidence.

Similar Threads

  1. Trump's prosecutors not taking action against DC rioters
    By FUCK THE POLICE in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2020, 08:18 PM
  2. Rioters burn government building during riot in Portland
    By Earl in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 08-20-2020, 01:48 PM
  3. Portland rioters are pigs
    By Hawkeye10 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-04-2020, 01:36 AM
  4. Portland rioters should just give up already
    By canceled.2021.3 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2020, 06:38 AM
  5. Portland Mayor Scorned by Rioters / Tear Gassed
    By anatta in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-23-2020, 07:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •