Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 168

Thread: America Is Not A Christian Country

  1. #61 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103,589
    Thanks
    7,942
    Thanked 29,457 Times in 23,478 Posts
    Groans
    2,634
    Groaned 2,310 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    What an amazing waste of college years. You post like Jesus and Christianity are not part of your life.
    and you post as if intelligent thought is not part of yours......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  2. #62 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    35,292
    Thanks
    17,483
    Thanked 23,605 Times in 12,219 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,285 Times in 2,052 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    there are some god-deniers who are not aware of the author......no one pays them much attention......



    hardly implausible......Jesus' ministry dates around 30 AD and John refers to himself in the gospel as "the young man".......he could have put the gospel to writing in his late 70s......
    So your contention is that a ~90 year old apostle John wrote the Gospel in 95 AD.?

    That is an incredible life span for a peasant from Galilee in the first century AD.

    The apostle John was from a family of poor Aramaic speaking fishermen from a backwater province of Galilee

    There is exactly zero credible chance a first century Aramaic speaking peasant could have written a sophisticated, highly articulate treatise in Greek.

    Jesus' disciples were mostly illiterate, Aramaic speaking peasants from a rural backwater province.

    Acts 4:13 even says Peter and John were uneducated.

    The authors of the New Testament gospels were highly educated Greek speakers.

    The scholarly consensus is that the authors of the Gospels are anonymous and writing four to five decades after Jesus was executed. It was later church tradition which retroactively attributed the Gospels to two apostles and two companions of the apostles.
    Last edited by Cypress; 05-04-2021 at 09:36 PM.

  3. #63 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Cymru/ Wails
    Posts
    5,974
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,675 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 1,675 Times in 1,543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It's the Jesus Freaks, Iola. THEY want everyone to LOVE Jesus.
    You mean the ones who never read the New Testament because McCarthy banned it?

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

    Jack (05-05-2021)

  5. #64 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103,589
    Thanks
    7,942
    Thanked 29,457 Times in 23,478 Posts
    Groans
    2,634
    Groaned 2,310 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    So your contention is that a ~90 year old apostle John wrote the Gospel in 95 AD.?

    That is an incredible life span for a peasant from Galilee in the first century AD.

    The apostle John was from a family of poor Aramaic speaking fishermen from a backwater province of Galilee

    There is exactly zero credible chance a first century Aramaic speaking peasant could have written a sophisticated, highly articulate treatise in Greek.

    Jesus' disciples were mostly illiterate, Aramaic speaking peasants from a rural backwater province.

    Acts 4:13 even says Peter and John were uneducated.

    The authors of the New Testament gospels were highly educated Greek speakers.

    The scholarly consensus is that the authors of the Gospels are anonymous and writing four to five decades after Jesus was executed. It was later church tradition which retroactively attributed the Gospels to two apostles and two companions of the apostles.
    no......it is not my contention that he was in his 90s.......it is your assumption that he was born in the same decade as Jesus, an unfounded assumption.......it is my contention he was in his late 70s, which is not an incredible lifespan........

    and for a person in that day to have access to scribes among his followers is certainly not incredible.....

    it is true that the consensus among atheists scholars is that they know little about the bible.......however the consensus among biblical scholars who aren't dedicated to creating falsehoods about it is that the unanimous historical attribution of the scriptures to the persons they are named after is correct.......it was not later church tradition which created the attribution........it was simply the formal acceptance of that historical attribution in canon form.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  6. #65 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    35,292
    Thanks
    17,483
    Thanked 23,605 Times in 12,219 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,285 Times in 2,052 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    no......it is not my contention that he was in his 90s.......it is your assumption that he was born in the same decade as Jesus, an unfounded assumption.......it is my contention he was in his late 70s, which is not an incredible lifespan........

    and for a person in that day to have access to scribes among his followers is certainly not incredible.....

    it is true that the consensus among atheists scholars is that they know little about the bible.......however the consensus among biblical scholars who aren't dedicated to creating falsehoods about it is that the unanimous historical attribution of the scriptures to the persons they are named after is correct.......it was not later church tradition which created the attribution........it was simply the formal acceptance of that historical attribution in canon form.......
    the Apostle John was an Aramaic speaking peasant who could not even write in his native language, let alone compose a highly sophisticated and erudite treatise in Greek.

    It sounds like you have never been exposed to real New Testament scholarship

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Iolo/Penderyn (05-07-2021)

  8. #66 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103,589
    Thanks
    7,942
    Thanked 29,457 Times in 23,478 Posts
    Groans
    2,634
    Groaned 2,310 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    the Apostle John was an Aramaic speaking peasant who could not even write in his native language, let alone compose a highly sophisticated and erudite treatise in Greek.

    It sounds like you have never been exposed to real New Testament scholarship
    sounds like you've never heard of scribes......you don't think there were many who followed him listening to what he said, who would be willing to write down what he dictated and send them to the various churches that were being started all around the known world in the first century?......

    for that matter, why do you think it impossible that someone who began as a Aramaic speaking peasant who, as a young unmarried man when he became a disciple, was probably well under the age of twenty........could learn how to speak and write Greek by the time he was seventy?......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  9. #67 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    41,303
    Thanks
    12,319
    Thanked 18,168 Times in 14,148 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,116 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    And yet we have 65% of the population who is Christian.
    The people are primarily Christian but the government is secular. It's not a theocracy like Iran or the Evangelical dictatorship the Party of Trump seeks to make it.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  10. #68 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    41,303
    Thanks
    12,319
    Thanked 18,168 Times in 14,148 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,116 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    and yet I have two post graduate degrees........I cannot explain your inability to believe the truth, though I have observed it here on a daily basis.......
    You keep claiming so but there's zero evidence of your education. You're not a Christian. Your posting style lacks sophistication. While you may have some college, I strongly doubt you have two Masters degrees unless you printed them yourself.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  11. #69 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103,589
    Thanks
    7,942
    Thanked 29,457 Times in 23,478 Posts
    Groans
    2,634
    Groaned 2,310 Times in 2,200 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I seriously doubt I will ever be able to get this penis out of my ear
    we all have our doubts about that......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

  12. #70 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    41,303
    Thanks
    12,319
    Thanked 18,168 Times in 14,148 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,116 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    we all have our doubts about that......
    QED. Thank you for the quick confirmation you're a fraud.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  13. #71 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    35,292
    Thanks
    17,483
    Thanked 23,605 Times in 12,219 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,285 Times in 2,052 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    sounds like you've never heard of scribes......you don't think there were many who followed him listening to what he said, who would be willing to write down what he dictated and send them to the various churches that were being started all around the known world in the first century?......

    for that matter, why do you think it impossible that someone who began as a Aramaic speaking peasant who, as a young unmarried man when he became a disciple, was probably well under the age of twenty........could learn how to speak and write Greek by the time he was seventy?......
    1) While Church fathers quoted the Gospels, nobody identified the authors as Mark, Mathew, Luke, John until the middle of the 2nd century - this indicates that Christians retroactively attributed authorship to the Gospels to the apostles and companions of the apostles.

    2) Now you are backtracking and saying a scribe wrote the Gospel of John, not John himself.

    3) Jesus' disciples were Aramaic speaking peasants and it defies reasonable credibility that they composed sophisticated treatises in Greek, a language they almost certainly did not speak.

    4) John would have had to been an adult when Jesus was executed around 30 AD. That would have made John around 80 to 90 years old when the Gospel of John was written at the end of the 1st century. That seems highly unlikely. The average peasant in the Roman Empire rarely lived past their 40s.


    - The bottom line: The fact that the Gospels of the NT were written by anonymous highly educated Greek writers between 65 to 95 AD based on the oral tradition circulating about the life of Jesus does not diminish their importance, or the wisdom they contain.

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Dutch Uncle (05-05-2021), Phantasmal (05-05-2021)

  15. #72 | Top
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    41,303
    Thanks
    12,319
    Thanked 18,168 Times in 14,148 Posts
    Groans
    1
    Groaned 2,116 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    1) While Church fathers quoted the Gospels, nobody identified the authors as Mark, Mathew, Luke, John until the middle of the 2nd century - this indicates that Christians retroactively attributed authorship to the Gospels to the apostles and companions of the apostles.

    2) Now you are backtracking and saying a scribe wrote the Gospel of John, not John himself.

    3) Jesus' disciples were Aramaic speaking peasants and it defies reasonable credibility that they composed sophisticated treatises in Greek, a language they almost certainly did not speak.

    4) John would have had to been an adult when Jesus was executed around 30 AD. That would have made John around 80 to 90 years old when the Gospel of John was written at the end of the 1st century. That seems highly unlikely. The average peasant in the Roman Empire rarely lived past their 40s.


    - The bottom line: The fact that the Gospels of the NT were written by anonymous highly educated Greek writers between 65 to 95 AD based on the oral tradition circulating about the life of Jesus does not diminish their importance, or the wisdom they contain.
    All knowledge I'd expect any theology student to know, much less one claiming to have two post-graduate degrees.
    Stripping Americans of their rights, regardless if inalienable or unenumerated, is against American ideals

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dutch Uncle For This Post:

    Cypress (05-05-2021), Phantasmal (05-05-2021)

  17. #73 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    35,292
    Thanks
    17,483
    Thanked 23,605 Times in 12,219 Posts
    Groans
    3
    Groaned 2,285 Times in 2,052 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    All knowledge I'd expect any theology student to know, much less one claiming to have two post-graduate degrees.
    Depends what kind of school one attends.

    Falwell Liberty University?

    Or a legitimate reputable seminary or graduate school of religious studies?

    There is a world of difference between a legitimate religious studies curriculum, and a bible thumping divinity school.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

    Dutch Uncle (05-05-2021), Phantasmal (05-05-2021)

  19. #74 | Top
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    10,114
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3,442 Times in 2,371 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 288 Times in 274 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Depends what kind of school one attends.

    Falwell Liberty University?

    Or a legitimate reputable seminary or graduate school of religious studies?

    There is a world of difference between a legitimate religious studies curriculum, and a bible thumping divinity school.
    Hard to believe Postmodernprophet has a high school diploma. The guy is an idiot.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BidenPresident For This Post:

    Phantasmal (05-05-2021)

  21. #75 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    7,431
    Thanks
    671
    Thanked 2,937 Times in 2,068 Posts
    Groans
    17
    Groaned 444 Times in 421 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    There is a world of difference between a legitimate religious studies curriculum, and a bible thumping divinity school.
    Most likely quite true, but I'll pass on both, thanks.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Person...woman...man...camera...television. Donald Trump, 2020

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-20-2019, 04:29 PM
  2. America is a christian nation?
    By guno in forum Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-10-2018, 08:46 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-11-2018, 10:31 AM
  4. The End Of Christian America
    By philly rabbit in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 617
    Last Post: 02-25-2016, 12:44 PM
  5. America's Christian Heritage
    By Conservative in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •