Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GOP Report Card

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Passing lies and hyperbole isn't a sauce good for America.
    It also isn't good for America when the Democrats do it to Republican presidents.

While it won't be good for America for the Republicans to do it back to the Democrats, it will be even worse yet for America if we allow the Democrats to always get away with it without anyone ever standing up to them.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    I challenge any Trump cult member to read this book. If you are still a fan afterwards I buy you a banana split.
    I've not read the book (I hadn't even heard of it until I read your post), but I'll be a fan of Mr. Trump no matter what he does, simply because of his unwavering support for the Second Amendment and his appointment of judges who support the Second Amendment.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,588 Times in 51,901 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anvil Kasseri View Post
    It also isn't good for America when the Democrats do it to Republican presidents.

While it won't be good for America for the Republicans to do it back to the Democrats, it will be even worse yet for America if we allow the Democrats to always get away with it without anyone ever standing up to them.
    Do what? The same bullshit Republicans have been doing to Democrats for 25 years? I agree it's not good for America. The result was Donald J. Trump. We did it to ourselves.

I will agree that extremism on either side is bad for the nation. This is bad for America: https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-cases

People shouldn't use violence to overthrow our duly elected government.
    Last edited by Doc Dutch; 04-30-2021 at 07:22 PM.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-30-2021)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Do what? The same bullshit Republicans have been doing to Democrats for 25 years?
    The Republicans haven't been doing it for 25 years. The Republican leadership did their best to work with Barack Obama. He was just such an extremist that it was impossible to work with him.

This is bad for America: https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/capitol-breach-cases
    People shouldn't use violence to overthrow our duly elected government.
    That wasn't an attempt to overthrow the government. That was a peaceful protest against Democratic cheating.

Such a draconian prosecution of peaceful protesters is wrong.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The Republicans haven't been doing it for 25 years. The Republican leadership did their best to work with Barack Obama. He was just such an extremist that it was impossible to work with him.

That wasn't an attempt to overthrow the government. That was a peaceful protest against Democratic cheating.

Obama was only 12 years ago.

The fact remains America has been a little lost since the end of the Cold War. We've been doing it increasingly wrong ever since.

We, the People, need to find a better path.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Anvil Kasseri,

I think they're doing ok. They just need to keep undermining the Biden Administration and making them fail.

Some criminal investigations into the Bidens will be useful as well. Once the Republicans retake the House they can impeach Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Come 2024 the Democrats will be vulnerable and Mr. Trump can win his second term.
    If the Biden administration is caused to fail by foot dragging Republicans becoming the party of NO again, then the USA will also fail.

Republicans would be willing to shoot the country in the foot to regain power.

That says all one needs to hear about the Republican party. They don't do anything for the nation, don't care what happens to the nation. All they care about is themselves.

Biden and Democrats are going to force Republicans to take a stand on sensitive issues that mean a lot to a lot of people. Such as child care and 12 week maternity leave. These bills can pass the Democratic House, and would likely get almost all Democratic Senate votes. But to get to 60 and passage, they need Republican votes, too. The thing is, under McConnell, they would never even get a vote. They would never make it to the floor. But with Schumer, they will be brought to the floor of the Senate and Republicans will be forced to vote on them, be forced to vote with the big money and against the people. Now you have to consider that young parent in 2022 who will be thinking 'Oh. I could have had guaranteed child care so I could work, but Republicans made sure I didn't get it. Hmmm. And now they want my vote???'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Anvil Kasseri,

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
    So, if it was bad when Democrats did it, how does that make it good for Republicans to do the same thing?

Isn't it just a different smell of garbage?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Anvil Kasseri,

I've not read the book (I hadn't even heard of it until I read your post), but I'll be a fan of Mr. Trump no matter what he does, simply because of his unwavering support for the Second Amendment and his appointment of judges who support the Second Amendment.
    But America has more than one issue.

The 2nd is but one issue.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Anvil Kasseri,

Peaceful?

Hardly.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,229 Times in 809 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 176 Times in 163 Posts

Trouble here is we are getting off topic. The worship of guns strikes me as a sign of weakness. Trump may end in jail or Russia should the New York investigation pan out. He is irrelevant today. Savior worship is kinda un-American and it baffles me how anyone can support the man given his record. But create a thread on Trump worship if you like. This thread is about the GOP overall. Thanks.

So then you are for a well regulated militia? You're not a foreign seller are you? Or foreign tool? The Brady statistics below show the results of gun worship.

"Fourteen-year-old boys are not part of a well-regulated militia. Members of wacky religious cults are not part of a well-regulated militia. Permitting unregulated citizens to have guns is destroying the security of this free state." Molly Ivins

https://www.bradyunited.org/key-statistics

'A third of guns in the US are imported, and foreign firearms makers want a say on gun control'
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    So then you are for a well regulated militia?
    Yes. I would love to see the militia brought back into existence so the American people can upscale their firepower.

Militiamen have the right to have weapons like machine guns, grenades, and bazookas, and the right keep them all at home.

However, do note that the right to keep and bear arms also covers non-militiamen having guns for private self defense.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Anvil Kasseri,
    If the Biden administration is caused to fail by foot dragging Republicans becoming the party of NO again, then the USA will also fail.
    Republicans would be willing to shoot the country in the foot to regain power.
    That says all one needs to hear about the Republican party. They don't do anything for the nation, don't care what happens to the nation. All they care about is themselves.
    Well, it wouldn't really be "again" because it would be the first time for the Republicans. Thus far, the Democrats are the only ones to have waged a scorched earth campaign of annihilation against a rival administration.

The nation will be even worse off if the Republicans don't stand up to the Democrats and give them a dose of their own medicine.

Biden and Democrats are going to force Republicans to take a stand on sensitive issues that mean a lot to a lot of people. Such as child care and 12 week maternity leave. These bills can pass the Democratic House, and would likely get almost all Democratic Senate votes. But to get to 60 and passage, they need Republican votes, too. The thing is, under McConnell, they would never even get a vote. They would never make it to the floor. But with Schumer, they will be brought to the floor of the Senate and Republicans will be forced to vote on them, be forced to vote with the big money and against the people. Now you have to consider that young parent in 2022 who will be thinking 'Oh. I could have had guaranteed child care so I could work, but Republicans made sure I didn't get it. Hmmm. And now they want my vote???'
    That's fine with me.

I don't care much about those issues either way, but I'd probably be OK with them becoming law if they were not associated with Mr. Biden.

However, the Republicans should shun all of Mr. Biden's proposals the same way that the Democrats shunned all of Mr. Trump's proposals.

So, if it was bad when Democrats did it, how does that make it good for Republicans to do the same thing?
    Isn't it just a different smell of garbage?
    The only way the Democrats will ever stop conducting legal witch hunts against their opponents is if people stand up to them.

If everyone lets the Democrats abuse their power while everyone else follows the rules, the Democrats will never stop doing it.

But America has more than one issue.
    The 2nd is but one issue.
    Well, it's the one that I care about.

I don't object to the gay rights people presenting the same sort of single-minded defense for gay rights. Or to the pro-choice people presenting a single-minded defense for their pro-choice rights.

Peaceful?
    Hardly.
    I'm fine with prosecuting anyone who assaulted a police officer. But the vast majority of the protesters did not assault anyone at all.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The fact remains America has been a little lost since the end of the Cold War. We've been doing it increasingly wrong ever since.
    We, the People, need to find a better path.
    There's a new cold war brewing with China. That could liven things up.

I don't miss the ever-present possibility of sudden nuclear war that was always looming over us in the old days though.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There's a new cold war brewing with China. That could liven things up.

I don't miss the ever-present possibility of sudden nuclear war that was always looming over us in the old days though.
    What is happening with China in the Yellow Sea is nothing compared to what we had with the fucking Soviets for 45 years.

Agreed on nuclear obliteration. War is bad for business and a nuclear war kills everyone.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Anvil Kasseri,

Well, it wouldn't really be "again" because it would be the first time for the Republicans. Thus far, the Democrats are the only ones to have waged a scorched earth campaign of annihilation against a rival administration.

The nation will be even worse off if the Republicans don't stand up to the Democrats and give them a dose of their own medicine.
    Republicans were the party of NO during the Obama presidency. American politics should not be about causing the other side to be unable to govern. If each party did that, American government would be shut down and completely ineffective. It would be like having no government at all. That would destroy the nation. Government is necessary. We cannot have a USA without a government.

That's fine with me.

I don't care much about those issues either way, but I'd probably be OK with them becoming law if they were not associated with Mr. Biden.

However, the Republicans should shun all of Mr. Biden's proposals the same way that the Democrats shunned all of Mr. Trump's proposals.
    Democrats do things out of consideration for what would be best for the nation. That is as it should be for both sides. But no. Republicans do things out of spite. Now, if you would be fine with those new proposals, then it should not matter who proposed them. Look at what Republicans are doing. Making it harder to vote. Ridiculous. After the most secure election in history. Preventing trans women from sports. Even though there has been no instance where a trans woman has ever been accused of 'stealing' a championship. These things are hateful, spiteful, not in the best interest of the country.

Well, it's the one that I care about.

I don't object to the gay rights people presenting the same sort of single-minded defense for gay rights. Or to the pro-choice people presenting a single-minded defense for their pro-choice rights.
    The problem with being a one-issue voter is that America is a nation with a lot of issues. A responsible citizen will endeavor to become as well informed as possible on as many issues as possible and vote according to what they believe in their well-informed mind would be best for the United States. It would be selfish to vote only for what one cares about personally. There is patriotic voting and there is selfish voting. The nation will do the best and be the greatest when more people practice patriotic voting.

I'm fine with prosecuting anyone who assaulted a police officer. But the vast majority of the protesters did not assault anyone at all.
    Breaking and entering a restricted area is against the law. Causing damage is against the law.

"Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; knowingly engaging in disorderly or disruptive conduct in any restricted building or grounds; violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds"

446 people have been charged in the Capitol insurrection so far. This searchable table shows them all.