Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "God is dead"

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,766 Times in 27,240 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Ha! Don't worry, you do not even remotely seem like the staking type.

I remember that you are one of the few posters who actually ever read Solzhenitsyn, so I recognize a deep well of intellectual curiosity in you.

Nietzsche's rejection of any higher reality or spiritual truth must have been pretty shocking at the time, but I am beginning to see why many have found Nietzsche worth considering - there is a lot to be said for the premise of making one's life a creative work of art, rather than investing energy in a socially/religiously constructed and conformist approach which dominated the 19th century.
    He was one philosopher I read a little about

It’s been decades so I don’t remember much except that I liked some of his thoughts and was glad that others had felt about society in a similar manner as I was feeling at the time in the early 70s

I’m going to have to relearn what little I knew then about the greats

2. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (04-26-2021)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Nietzsche was a wise man although I only agree with the bolded parts. The two unbolded lack some caveats and amplifications.

I don't see where any of the numbered items say or imply "God is Dead". He obviously has issues with religious dogma, but that's not the same thing.
    God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

— Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125

4. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,449 Times in 52,464 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato.

True or false?
    False. It's a logic error since it's like saying nuclear power is a footnote to the invention of fire. Obviously both are important subjects that are intertwined. Let's not forget that the barbarians and Russians <redundancy noted> had an important place at the table of "European philosophy"...or do you mean only England, France and Germany are at your table?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (04-26-2021), evince (04-26-2021)

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato.

True or false?
    Whitehead said that. And he was British, not European.

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Nietzsche was a wise man although I only agree with the bolded parts. The two unbolded lack some caveats and amplifications.

I don't see where any of the numbered items say or imply "God is Dead". He obviously has issues with religious dogma, but that's not the same thing.
    Not one that I remember got all ATA boys from me

It’s just one of the many things that make the human mind so fascinating

8. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,683 Times in 27,327 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

According to Professor Solomon and others, "God is dead" was Nietzsche's collective indictment of western civilization at large as it stood in the 19th century - it's religion, it's philosophy, it's debilitating obsession with conformity, guilt, sin, eternal salvation --- which, according to Nietzsche, prevented us from living authentic, creative lives.

That is my take on it, but I plan to learn more about Nietzsche.

9. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

False. It's a logic error since it's like saying nuclear power is a footnote to the invention of fire. Obviously both are important subjects that are intertwined. Let's not forget that the barbarians and Russians <redundancy noted> had an important place at the table of "European philosophy"...or do you mean only England, France and Germany are at your table?
    We agree, Dutch. Plato did go mad in his later writings.

10. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I see you're using Google this time. Can you learn philosophy from an internet search?
    Yes

If the vessel can retain the liquid

11. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

goat (04-26-2021)

12. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?

— Nietzsche, The Gay Science, Section 125
    Awesome. Thanks. I was referencing the OP, but your input is sincerely appreciated.

IMO, do you think he's equating the Catholic Church with "God"? I'm not so sure myself. OTOH, it could be like the Buddhist "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" philosophy. I lean towards the latter. You?

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=1785326
    In the ninth century, the Buddhist sage Lin Chi told a monk, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." He meant that those who think they've found all the answers in any religion need to start questioning

13. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    According to Professor Solomon and others, "God is dead" was Nietzsche's collective indictment of western civilization at large as it stood in the 19th century - it's religion, it's philosophy, it's debilitating obsession with conformity, guilt, sin, eternal salvation --- which, according to Nietzsche, prevented us us from living authentic, creative lives.

That is my take on it, but I plan to learn more about Nietzsche.

The trappings of a religion that had become more about controlling the citizenry than delivering thought and salve for the soul

14. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (04-26-2021)

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Awesome. Thanks. I was referencing the OP, but your input is sincerely appreciated.

IMO, do you think he's equating the Catholic Church with "God"? I'm not so sure myself. OTOH, it could be like the Buddhist "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him" philosophy. I lean towards the latter. You?

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...toryId=1785326
    In the ninth century, the Buddhist sage Lin Chi told a monk, "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him." He meant that those who think they've found all the answers in any religion need to start questioning
    Nietzsche's father was a minister and he certainly understood religion. Nietzsche seems to be a straightforward atheist.

16. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Not one that I remember got all ATA boys from me

It’s just one of the many things that make the human mind so fascinating
    "People who think they know everything annoy those of us that do." - Anon

17. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Nietzsche's father was a minister and he certainly understood religion. Nietzsche seems to be a straightforward atheist.
    How do you define atheist? Disbelieving a greater, spiritual power or disbelieving any existence beyond the mortal?

Are Buddhists atheists? Have you ever asked one if he was? It depends upon your definition of atheist. My definition is atheists deny existence beyond the physical. Anyone who believes in a spiritual existence and calls themselves an atheist is an idiot who needs to get off the computer and get out more.

18. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How do you define atheist? Disbelieving a greater, spiritual power or disbelieving any existence beyond the mortal?
    Nietzsche said God does not exist. What more clarity could be given?

19. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And a little bit of an angry ex Christian

It was a needed development for mankind

But like any and all thing falls to the 4% of mankind who are sociopaths

All things good are torn asunder

Time we learn to one up the dastardly 4% and stop them BEFORE they start tearing

20. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

Cypress (04-26-2021)