Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: "God is dead"

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I can't say I see a direct connection between Kant and Nietzsche. I was under the impression Nietzsche's most direct influence was Schopenhauer, but I also have a lot to learn about Nietzsche.

I have reached the point where I see philosophy and science as actually complimentary, especially in the big picture scientific disciplines like cosmology and abiogenesis.

Philosophy and science were not even considered separate disciplines until the 19th century.

My favorite current scientist is Sean Carrol, who has dual degrees in philosophy and theoretical physics - he is a philosophically-thinking scientist. As was Albert Einstein for that matter.

Scientists are not trained in formal logic. Philosophers are. Philosophers can help scientists understand what counts as a good explanation, and with their training in ontology and epistemology, philosophers are more directly concerned with finding the limits of knowlege and with how good our purported knowlege actually is. They are good at helping scientists refine the explanatory power of their theories.

For the most part, scientists are interested in fitting the data to theories. If the data can be fit, and experiments can be replicated, they view their job as essentially being done. That approach may, or may not be an accurate reflection of an underlying truth about objective reality.
    That's a great way to explain it, Cypress.

I'm old enough to remember when trolls made huge contributions to the net. The guys building the sites were sanctimonious pricks while the guys crashing them were funny and clever. The hackers forced the coders to up their game. We don't see that anymore. There's no merit in our soulless world. It's way too difficult to find virtue in the real world but it's easy to find it here on the net.

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,258 Times in 51,660 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Precognition is both metaphysical and scientific, so I'm looking for philosophers and psychologists who can prove their metaphysics with science.
    Like Tachyons and quantum particles? Do you agree that it's possible for the spiritual and the physical to meet on the quantum level? Some other level?

Which psychologists are into metaphysics? I can see a mixing in people like Kant and Nietzsche, but psychology and philosophy are separate fields.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (04-26-2021)

4. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    A big influence on Nietzsche is Plato. He spends a lot of time bashing platonism.
    What were his complaints about Plato?

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,647 Times in 7,180 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,049 Times in 995 Posts

It's way too difficult to find virtue in the real world but it's easy to find it here on the net.
    I think that the commercial sites hawking their products might add some informational value, as do the search engines.

Other than that, the internet has seriously damaged our culture. Too many people think it means something when anybody can publish anything and most of it means nothing.
    Ultimately, humanity may not survive the demise of print media.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I think that the commercial sites hawking their products might add some informational value, as do the search engines.

Other than that, the internet has seriously damaged our culture. Too many people think it means something when anybody can publish anything and most of it means nothing.
    Ultimately, humanity may not survive the demise of print media.
    It's all about the numbers with a little chemistry. My first day here I couldn't figure out how to post an image so APL quickly stepped up to help me out. I would've been left high and dry in the real world.

Most people in the real world cancel me once they hear my view of the world, while I can find people on the net who agree with me and don't think I'm radical or offensive.

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,165 Times in 27,015 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,974 Times in 2,691 Posts

A big influence on Nietzsche is Plato.

He spends a lot of time bashing platonism.
    I imagine Nietzsche hated the tenets of a transcendent reality and an immortal soul as found in Platonic and Neoplatonic thought.

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Like Tachyons and quantum particles? Do you agree that it's possible for the spiritual and the physical to meet on the quantum level? Some other level?

Which psychologists are into metaphysics? I can see a mixing in people like Kant and Nietzsche, but psychology and philosophy are separate fields.
    I want to believe that we have a connection to the multiverse but my brain won't allow it. I read psychology and philosophy to work on my psyche/soul to see the world how it really is instead of how power want's us to believe it is.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I want to believe that we have a connection to the multiverse but my brain won't allow it. I read psychology and philosophy to work on my psyche/soul to see the world how it really is instead of how power want's us to believe it is.
    Out of nowhere, the mind comes forth. — The Diamond Sutra

Fire-Poker Zen
    Hakuin would tell his pupils about an old woman who had a tea shop and praise her understanding of Zen. The pupils often refused to believe what he told them and would go to the teashop to find out for themselves.

Whenever the woman saw them coming she could tell at once whether they had come for tea or to look into her grasp of Zen. In the former case, she would serve them graciously. In the latter, she would beckon to the pupils to come behind her screen. The instant they obeyed, she would strike them with a fire-poker.

Nine out of ten of them could not escape her beating.

10. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Out of nowhere, the mind comes forth. — The Diamond Sutra

Fire-Poker Zen
    Hakuin would tell his pupils about an old woman who had a tea shop and praise her understanding of Zen. The pupils often refused to believe what he told them and would go to the teashop to find out for themselves.

Whenever the woman saw them coming she could tell at once whether they had come for tea or to look into her grasp of Zen. In the former case, she would serve them graciously. In the latter, she would beckon to the pupils to come behind her screen. The instant they obeyed, she would strike them with a fire-poker.

Nine out of ten of them could not escape her beating.
    You're OK, Dutch.

11. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 61 Times in 60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    4/20/21

Oh that reminds me to go do something

Catch you on the over side guys

It’s been fun

Let’s keep this vein of threads agoin

Tootles
    Good this schmucks 4 inch asshole sig goes away. Fag was so far up his ass he links to his own posts in his sig...

12. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

What were his complaints about Plato?
    Idealism. That there are ideal forms which our concepts are derived from.

13. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

I imagine Nietzsche hated the tenets of a transcendent reality and an immortal soul as found in Platonic and Neoplatonic thought.

Why he called Christianity Platonism for the masses.

14. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,165 Times in 27,015 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,974 Times in 2,691 Posts

Why he called Christianity Platonism for the masses.
    Yes, that figures. Plato was Saint Augustine's favorite pagan philosopher The close link between Platonism and Christianity and their mutual focus on the transcendent would have been antithetical to Nietzsche's philosophy.

15. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Idealism. That there are ideal forms which our concepts are derived from.
    Isn't that human? We formulate an ideal and then work toward it? A bigger cave for the family, more security from sabertooth tigers? Irrigating crops?

Idealism is two parts: Ingenuity and practical application.

A person sees that plants grow best next to a stream and then wonders how he move the stream to his crops, perhaps with a door/shutoff to the water. That's ingenuity.

Digging the ditch and building the water shutoff are practical application. Results count and results depend upon both ingenuity and application.

16. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, that figures. Plato was Saint Augustine's favorite pagan philosopher The close link between Platonism and Christianity and their mutual focus on the transcendent would have been antithetical to Nietzsche's philosophy.
    How so? Not a philosopher like y'all, and not a reader of Nietzsche, but from what I've read, he wanted mankind to see the bigger picture beyond worshiping idols and wearing funny hats.

He seemed to want mankind to transcend to the Übermensch in the physical universe rather than focus on what we'd become in an afterlife.

This is similar to Buddhism in that Buddha recognized that there's no way to prove the afterlife, but that we should live the most "right", just lives possible to maximize our mortal potential and prepare ourselves for what may come; the Eightfold Path.

https://www.pbs.org/edens/thailand/buddhism.htm
    The steps of the Noble Eightfold Path are Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration. Moreover, there are three themes into which the Path is divided: good moral conduct (Understanding, Thought, Speech); meditation and mental development (Action, Livelihood, Effort), and wisdom or insight (Mindfulness and Concentration).

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (04-27-2021)