Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Philosophy Helps Us Find Our Way

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default How Philosophy Helps Us Find Our Way

AG: You can think of the "Meditations" of Descartes as therapeutic, right? Philosophy can provide concepts with which to describe what people are going through, and then people can grab onto those concepts and use them.

KS: Descartes said, I’m going to prove everything from the ground up. It is an intellectual memoir of someone’s crisis experience feeling filled with terrors of being deceived.

https://www.bostonreview.net/article...-find-our-way/

This is why philosophy is not religion. Also, why philosophy does not yield to science.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,458 Times in 27,020 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,562 Times in 18,153 Posts
    Blog Entries

there are hard questions about exactly why it has to be in the first person in this way. But it reminds me of an anecdote about how unlikely it was that I would be someone who would do this. I remember in grad school when I took my general exams, and the topic was ethics and practical reason. And I did well, but the examiner’s report had this phrase that I’ve never forgotten, which was, These ideas do not seem to have been tested in the crucible of direct moral experience. At the time I was twenty-one years old, and my friends and I rolled our eyes and made fun of it. But there was a way in which this was entirely right. Whatever I was doing right or wrong, I had not really integrated it with my own moral experience.

From your article

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

KIERAN SETIYA: It’s true that in the book I argue that we shouldn’t think of our lives in terms of simple linear narratives heading toward a certain kind of goal, and that if we do so we create the risk that we will be defined by a project at which we could fail and then would be failures.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    AG: You can think of the "Meditations" of Descartes as therapeutic, right? Philosophy can provide concepts with which to describe what people are going through, and then people can grab onto those concepts and use them.

KS: Descartes said, I’m going to prove everything from the ground up. It is an intellectual memoir of someone’s crisis experience feeling filled with terrors of being deceived.

This is why philosophy is not religion. Also, why philosophy does not yield to science.
    Historical crooks on Capital Hill early 2000's SCOTUS Islamidiotocracy Mohammed pedophilia in those burning "it's only a God damn piece of paper" Bush's 9/11 Arab "death to the infidels" Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate fiefdom drug trafficking enforcement as 1971 SCOTUS Christiananality pedophilia in those thieving US Constitution Bill of Rights Navy Hospital arsonists; where this Christian Nation "man is God" interpretation of "one nation under God with equal justice under law" of suicidal super egos sociopsychopathilogical homicidal human farming is law of the land under color of law.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by saltydancin View Post
    Historical crooks on Capital Hill early 2000's SCOTUS Islamidiotocracy Mohammed pedophilia in those burning "it's only a God damn piece of paper" Bush's 9/11 Arab "death to the infidels" Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate fiefdom drug trafficking enforcement as 1971 SCOTUS Christiananality pedophilia in those thieving US Constitution Bill of Rights Navy Hospital arsonists; where this Christian Nation "man is God" interpretation of "one nation under God with equal justice under law" of suicidal super egos sociopsychopathilogical homicidal human farming is law of the land under color of law.
    gibberish. ignore.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 7,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,187 Times in 1,103 Posts

If you enjoy philosophy, look towards Shakespeare- philosophy is written in code throughout his entire portfolio. There are life lessons to learn in every story and play.

Also the Aesop's Fables are GREAT and Timeless! Not just for children anymore.

Confucious is another one of my favorites, as he is often time credited for penning the Golden Rule- which I believe could easily replace the 10 commandments, the Constitution, and the entire Book of man's law- if only man could just use that as a determining factor for everything they do.

Lot's of great philosophy in Literature's greatest classic Novels and short stories. George Orwell and Steinbeck come to mind.

If ancient philosophy is more about the Ancient Gods than people, I pretty much ignore it. Marcus Aurelius had a lot of great timeless quotes though!

Some of my favorite philosophy comes from Music. Songs cover just about every human emotion, condition, and fear man has, and how he copes with life. It has been reflected in some song somewhere. It's all been done and said!

There is some good advice in the music!

Music has a way of showing the good and bad in people! You make your own assessments and are able to see consequences of things that happen in life that you may have overlooked. Just knowing that others go through a lot of the same things we personally go through is good philosophy of it's own!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-05-2022 at 03:24 PM.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    If you enjoy philosophy
    Most people don't know what philosophy is. They think it is just having opinions about things.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,747 Times in 32,119 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

only the right philosophy helps you.........the wrong one just fucks you up......

if you want a good one, read Dooyeweerd......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,102 Times in 7,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,187 Times in 1,103 Posts

Most people don't know what philosophy is. They think it is just having opinions about things.
    I know enough to know that Trumptardation is based on a loser's philosophy!

I know that it only took 4 years for most people to figure that out.

The one's that haven't figured that out yet, SOON WILL!

I mean we are talking about a complete and total Human failure in Trump!

There is not even a single gene of Good Will towards man, and he absolutely has no shame, honor, morality, conscience, or integrity in this poor excuse for a Human Being!

Donald Trump thinks all those attributes are for losers!

He fails every test!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 11-05-2022 at 04:08 PM.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    only the right philosophy helps you.........the wrong one just fucks you up......

if you want a good one, read Dooyeweerd......
    I assume you were in Special Needs classes. Nothing you say makes sense.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Geeko Sportivo View Post
    I know enough to know that Trumptardation is based on a loser's philosophy!
    Funny. Agree with you.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,747 Times in 32,119 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I assume you were in Special Needs classes. Nothing you say makes sense.
    like all your other assumptions this one makes you look stupid.......I majored in History and Sociology and was only two classes short of a third major in Philosophy......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 41 Times in 39 Posts

gibberish. ignore.
    Must still offend that McHeil's Navy "man is God" national religion philosophy of Christiananality pedophilia where SCOTUS granting standing to thieving Navy Hospital US Constitution Bill of Rights burnt on a cross arsonists is what makes "one nation under God with equal justice under law"; just as those burning "it's just a God damn piece of paper" Bush's 9/11 Arab "death to the infidels" Federal Lynching KKK churchstate of hate fiefdom drug trafficking enforcement Mengele "Angel of Death" baptize thine eyes by urinations Islamidiotocracy Mohammed pedophilia health care patriot act plan....
    Last edited by saltydancin; 11-05-2022 at 05:51 PM.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,092 Times in 9,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 500 Times in 474 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    there are hard questions about exactly why it has to be in the first person in this way. But it reminds me of an anecdote about how unlikely it was that I would be someone who would do this. I remember in grad school when I took my general exams, and the topic was ethics and practical reason. And I did well, but the examiner’s report had this phrase that I’ve never forgotten, which was, These ideas do not seem to have been tested in the crucible of direct moral experience. At the time I was twenty-one years old, and my friends and I rolled our eyes and made fun of it. But there was a way in which this was entirely right. Whatever I was doing right or wrong, I had not really integrated it with my own moral experience.

From your article
    yes.

your intelligence ends at the level of being a good regurgitator of memorized phrases.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,092 Times in 9,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 500 Times in 474 Posts
    Blog Entries

there's philosophy, and then theres sophistry.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hermes Thoth For This Post:

Into the Night (12-06-2022)