Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default A bullet dodged

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/200...-bullet-dodged

A bullet dodged

What would have happened if George W. Bush had actually succeeded in his plan to privatize Social Security? Ask the Italians.

Italy did for retirement financing what President George W. Bush couldn’t do in the U.S.: It privatized part of its social security system. The timing couldn’t have been worse.

The global market meltdown has created losses for those who agreed to shift their contributions from a government severance payment plan to private funds meant to yield higher returns.

Gaetano Turchetta, a Rome office manager, made the irreversible move to a private plan after a union representative boasted of the potential for 20 percent annual returns. The 43- year-old father of three now says he would sign with “two hands and two feet” if he could switch back.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Privatization of SS was one of the few things that Bush offered that I supported. Even with the recent meltdown, there would be a MUCH greater rate of return over the long haul for workers.

Most people younger than me, and even those in my generation, just assume that Social Security will not be there when we retire, anyway. For anyone who opposes privatization, I would love to hear the alternative.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post
    Privatization of SS was one of the few things that Bush offered that I supported. Even with the recent meltdown, there would be a MUCH greater rate of return over the long haul for workers.

Most people younger than me, and even those in my generation, just assume that Social Security will not be there when we retire, anyway. For anyone who opposes privatization, I would love to hear the alternative.
    Wow. I agree with Onceler.
    There is much to be said in favour of modern journalism. By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, it keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.

-Oscar Wilde

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I supported it too.

But the simple fact is, SS isn't going to be all of your retirement plan. And it's guaranteed. The American people deserve some sense of security in retirement, no matter the economic conditions.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus View Post
    Wow. I agree with Onceler.
    Really? You agree with on of Oncie's more conservative opinions?

That's surprising.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

In Bush's plan the older workers closer to retirement would have been unable to move even a portion of their social security into the market.

Only you and I and all the other youngins who are far from retirement could have.

Also, only certain programs were possible to invest in and none of them were as risky as suggested by "award winning economist" Krugman.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    In Bush's plan the older workers closer to retirement would have been unable to move even a portion of their social security into the market.

Only you and I and all the other youngins who are far from retirement could have.

Also, only certain programs were possible to invest in and none of them were as risky as suggested by "award winning economist" Krugman.
    That's nobel prize winning, Damo.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    That's nobel prize winning, Damo.
    True
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,405 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 287 Times in 274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I supported it too.

But the simple fact is, SS isn't going to be all of your retirement plan. And it's guaranteed. The American people deserve some sense of security in retirement, no matter the economic conditions.
    I love the idea of social security, and the fact that we have it, but the fact is, we can't afford it. There is no viable plan for keeping SS workable in the long run.

Privatization would only be a disaster in a meltdown like this if people on the verge of retirement had suddenly had all of their SS investment "privatized," which isn't a part of any plan I would support (I'm not sure what Italy did to have it set up so that people actually incurred losses). Over time, the market's returns are basically guaranteed, and they are SO much better than the paltry returns with SS.

To me, it's kind of a no brainer. I just don't hear any other ideas.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Onceler View Post

Unless you needed you money during a downturn. But just wait till things get better...if you live that long....

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Umm correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember there being an official Bush plan.
    Just a bunch of rhetoric.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by uscitizen View Post
    Umm correct me if I am wrong, but I do not remember there being an official Bush plan.
    Just a bunch of rhetoric.
    You would be wrong.

It was, in fact, what he tried to spend the political capital from his "mandate" on.

Short memories in old people.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You would be wrong.

It was, in fact, what he tried to spend the political capital from his "mandate" on.

Short memories in old people.
    Link to the official plan please.

Not speech or campaign statements, but a document.

yeah a good thing my memory gets shorter , keeps me from wanting to strangle 2X bush supporters so bad.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's on the White House website.

Why do I have to work because you have a crappy memory?
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's on the White House website.

Why do I have to work because you have a crappy memory?
    Just because.

Why was it never submitted to congress when the repubs controlled everything?