Thread: Minnesota law is weird. [It's flyover country, after all.]

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,665 Times in 16,592 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
    We'll never know....The crowds were poised and ready to react, were they not?
    I stand behind my opinion....I understand you don't agree...I'm fine with that....

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    They were not prior to that....
    They were directed to not watch news or discuss the trial just as every other jury is. Unless you have evidence they didn't follow instructions, the presumption for any appeal is that they did.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-22-2021)

4. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    They were directed to not watch news or discuss the trial just as every other jury is. Unless you have evidence they didn't follow instructions, the presumption for any appeal is that they did.
    It would be very difficult to not see any news or discuss considering the coverage of this trial , but none of us have "evidence" that they did...or did not....

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 3,418 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 643 Times in 611 Posts

It would be very difficult to not see any news or discuss considering the coverage of this trial , but none of us have "evidence" that they did...or did not....
    It would be very easy to not see any news. Just don't look at news. Lots of people do it every day.

I can understand how upset you must be while binge watching Friends on Netflix and they interrupt to tell you the news.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard Saunders For This Post:

7. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Richard Saunders View Post
    It would be very easy to not see any news. Just don't look at news. Lots of people do it every day.

I can understand how upset you must be while binge watching Friends on Netflix and they interrupt to tell you the news.
    It would be pretty difficult to not see any news regarding this case....I don't binge watch Friends...maybe the Food Network....no Netflix....

8. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,733 Times in 4,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

We'll never know....The crowds were poised and ready to react, were they not?
    I stand behind my opinion....I understand you don't agree...I'm fine with that....
    You're "opinion" is based on a collection of supposition, conjecture, denial and revisionism of the facts. In short your opinion is just plain wrong regarding the jurors. We all know that various state law enforcement groups were poised and set to mobilize in the event of mass protests to quell any from becoming riots. What YOU might not know or don't want to know is the following: google or bing "leaders call for calm prending chauvin trial verdict".

You can't state an "opinion" as fact as you did...and then when your little prediction didn't come true, you fall back on a lame "we'll never know" bluff to avoid admitting error.
    I expect nothing less from insipidly stubborn right wingers...I'm fine with that.
    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

10. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You're "opinion" is based on a collection of supposition, conjecture, denial and revisionism of the facts. In short your opinion is just plain wrong regarding the jurors. We all know that various state law enforcement groups were poised and set to mobilize in the event of mass protests to quell any from becoming riots. What YOU might not know or don't want to know is the following: google or bing "leaders call for calm prending chauvin trial verdict".

You can't state an "opinion" as fact as you did...and then when your little prediction didn't come true, you fall back on a lame "we'll never know" bluff to avoid admitting error.
    I expect nothing less from insipidly stubborn right wingers...I'm fine with that.
    OK

11. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,733 Times in 4,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

George Orwell

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Taichiliberal For This Post:

13. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,407 Times in 53,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Toxic Top is too stupid to have her own opinions; she faithfully echoes what she reads on Breitbart, Fox, OANN, and Newsmax.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Taichiliberal (04-23-2021)

15. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,407 Times in 53,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

That's true. So why, then, are you insisting that they somehow violated their oaths (all 12 of them, total strangers to each other) and voted to convict because "they knew what would happen...to the city, the country and more than likely to them and their families, if there was any announcement of "not guilty"...." Those are your words in Post #2, aren't they? You stated that they knew what would happen if they found Chavin innocent. In other words, "teacher," you accused them of being faithless, dishonest, and possibly corrupt.

As I said, straight from the Newsmax, OANN, Breitbart, Fox, et al playbook.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Chauvin was guilty as hell, but how could the same homicide be three different crimes?

Normally, in most states, a conviction will be returned for the most serious charge on which the jury can agree.

Our federal system is in my opinion absurd. 50 states. 50 different sets of felony statutes.
    Why Biden? Because Fuck You that's why. Barack Obama has a Grammy, an Emmy, a Nobel Prize, 2 terms as President and a Twitter account.

Donald Trump has 2 impeachments.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to katzgar For This Post:

Taichiliberal (04-23-2021)