Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guilty of murder. All three charges!

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Maybe I'm naïve here but getting true reform is far less likely to occur, imo, when it is framed simply as right vs left. And maybe I'm naive that anything bi-partisan can happen these days. But to me, for real reform and improvement there has to be bigger buy in and a whole story told. The current way we tell the story doesn't produce that.
    Your comments are very vague, is that deliberate?

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post
    Essentially, I'd agree w/ that. I didn't think there was enough for a murder charge, but I also don't think it's egregious given the circumstances.
    We don't need to rehearse all the testimony here. But Chauvin had many warnings and chances to get off Floyd. The hand in the pocket was damning.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,852 Times in 1,715 Posts

Maybe I'm naïve here but getting true reform is far less likely to occur, imo, when it is framed simply as right vs left. And maybe I'm naive that anything bi-partisan can happen these days. But to me, for real reform and improvement there has to be bigger buy in and a whole story told. The current way we tell the story doesn't produce that.
    The hyper-partisan nature of every issue is a great tragedy. We're really missing so much of what we all agree on - not just w/ this issue, but with things like the environment and education.

Personally, I blame the CNN's & Fox's. They perpetuate the illusion of division at this level. We're divided, and we disagree, but that's always been the case. We used to be able to find a place in the middle & create positive change. It's not in me to give up on that idea.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Hopefully this sent a warning to cops and this was a tipping point that cops don't get off murdering people anymore
    What it means is that it’s time for Biden to get off the fence and get behind SERIOUS police reform.

That’s what it better mean.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackascoal For This Post:

katzgar (04-20-2021), TTQ64 (04-20-2021)

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Another sign of the end of the Trump era. Justice prevails.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Just spit balling here but there's two reasons I think we won't see major changes. The first is when crime picks up people become afraid and we pass tougher crime legislation. The other is the tribalism and partisanship, and even you referenced the right and left here as if each 'side' can only see things one way.

I would throw out how many people have heard of Tony Timpa? He was killed by the police in Dallas in 2016 the same as George Floyd. Yet no national media attention, no protests etc. The reason why? He was white. Just my opinion but if we really want reform there needs to be more buy in from people across the political spectrum and with the way its done now we don't get that.
    One reason, and that is the police union. They write the rules, and then force the city to accept them. One outfit does so for 80% of the police forces.

"Despite these challenges, the company has marketed its policies as a way to decrease cities’ liability in police misconduct lawsuits. In its communications with potential clients, Lexipol has claimed that agencies that use its policies are sued less frequently and pay out smaller settlements, according to a Texas Law Review analysis of public records. The company’s critics argue that it accomplishes this with vague or permissive rules that meet bare-minimum legal requirements rather than holding officers to a higher standard. “They want to make it impossible, or nearly impossible, for anybody to point to the policy and say it was violated,” says Carl Takei, an ACLU senior staff attorney specializing in police practices. “Defining ‘imminent’ in a way that removes all of the immi*nence? That’s a classic Lexipol policy.” Samuel Sinyangwe, a racial justice activist and data analyst who has looked at hundreds of police departments’ policies, concludes that Lexipol’s use-of-force guidelines usually lack requirements that have been shown to reduce police violence. Lexipol did not respond to a request for comment.

Lexipol was started in 2003; two of its three founders were former cops who became lawyers. One, Bruce Praet, spent a decade as an officer in Orange County, where he twice beat misconduct lawsuits, according to a 1992 Los Angeles Times profile. Inspired by his defense lawyer, Michael Stone—who later represented one of Rodney King’s assailants—Praet went on to become a police union lawyer before starting a firm that specialized in defending cops in cases involving shootings, pursuits, and dog bites. In 1998, he co-wrote the precursor to Lexipol’s first law enforcement manual. From the last three years alone, he has defended police in nearly three dozen federal lawsuits."

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...olicy-company/
    Last edited by Old Trapper; 04-20-2021 at 04:06 PM.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

The hyper-partisan nature of every issue is a great tragedy. We're really missing so much of what we all agree on - not just w/ this issue, but with things like the environment and education.

Personally, I blame the CNN's & Fox's. They perpetuate the illusion of division at this level. We're divided, and we disagree, but that's always been the case. We used to be able to find a place in the middle & create positive change. It's not in me to give up on that idea.
    The cable news channels clearly exacerbate a number of issues in this country. Race is obviously is a very difficult subject and almost impossible to have an "honest" debate/discussion, whatever that may even be. And policing and race are so tied together. This isn't to suggest we shouldn't work to improve how we police our communities. We 100% should. (We should be working to improve all areas of government.) But part of working to improve policing includes having uncomfortable and difficult conversations and this is a very difficult environment to do so in.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,327 Times in 1,987 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 174 Posts

There is more consensus than most think about the need for police reform in general.

I haven't loved a lot of the national dialogue on the entire topic, but one thing that is starting to be talked about more is the concept of policing in general. What do they need to protect people from, and what level of force is needed? Can we start mailing out fines instead of creating confrontation over things like expired registrations and traffic offenses?

The entire way we approach law enforcement needs to be changed, and the relationship of police to the communities they serve. This, to me, is a very healthy conversation - and one where there is much agreement between the left & right.

Can politicians take that consensus and arrive at common sense solutions? There is a mandate to do so. We can only hope.
    Sounds good in theory yet somehow unattainable in practice.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    One reason, and that is the police union. They write the rules, and then force the city to accept them. One outfit does so for 80% of the police forces.
    Like the teachers unions, the police union is a big reason attempted reforms have been blocked. Because what's best for police officers isn't necessarily best for the citizens or the country.

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Like the teachers unions, the police union is a big reason attempted reforms have been blocked. Because what's best for police officers isn't necessarily best for the citizens or the country.
    ...and bashing teachers

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The cable news channels clearly exacerbate a number of issues in this country. Race is obviously is a very difficult subject and almost impossible to have an "honest" debate/discussion, whatever that may even be. And policing and race are so tied together. This isn't to suggest we shouldn't work to improve how we police our communities. We 100% should. (We should be working to improve all areas of government.) But part of working to improve policing includes having uncomfortable and difficult conversations and this is a very difficult environment to do so in.
    It does cause me some dismay how quickly honest dialogue gets shut down in this climate. You have to toe a very thin line, or you're one of "them."

I.e. I personally think it's wrong to characterize this as a racist incident. It MAY have been, but we have absolutely zilch to ascribe that characterization to it. Police brutality? All day, every day. But it is now accepted as another example of racism in law enforcement, and you can't really argue that.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It does cause me some dismay how quickly honest dialogue gets shut down in this climate. You have to toe a very thin line, or you're one of "them."

I.e. I personally think it's wrong to characterize this as a racist incident. It MAY have been, but we have absolutely zilch to ascribe that characterization to it. Police brutality? All day, every day. But it is now accepted as another example of racism in law enforcement, and you can't really argue that.

Statistics show that blacks are treated worse than whites. That seems irrefutable.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    What it means is that it’s time for Biden to get off the fence and get behind SERIOUS police reform.

That’s what it better mean.
    standing ovation!

Now Ill top 4/20 off with a shot of 1942 Don Julio an a hit fruty pebbles.............puff puff ...............

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TTQ64 For This Post:

Concart (04-20-2021)

16. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    Statistics show that blacks are treated worse than whites. That seems irrefutable.
    No doubt. I don't question that. I know too many friends who've been pulled over for "driving while black," and stop & frisk was clear bias. Among many other examples.

I just think it's wrong to characterize this incident as clearly racist. There is nothing to support that. Sometimes, there are just bad cops.

17. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,733 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 707 Times in 647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    Hopefully this sent a warning to cops and this was a tipping point that cops don't get off murdering people anymore
    nah. lots of kops stormed the capitol on 1/6 and nothing will happen to them........they are not worried.