Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: defining the atheist life....

1. #211 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    you probably don't have enough posts yet......there's a threshold before you can post pictures.....
    I'm special.

2. #212 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 165 Times in 155 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Going to create a thread on how to do it for everyone else.
    No need, I had my zoom too high so it didn't allow me to see the OK button.

3. #213 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    No need, I had my zoom too high so it didn't allow me to see the OK button.
    That's okay. Others seem to have the same problem. I just want to try out a new screen capture video software anyways. LOL.

4. #214 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

Copy an image url link you want.
    Click on the image button (you've already done that already. LOL).
    Click on the tab "from URL".
    Uncheck the box.
    Paste the url.
    BOOM.

5. #215 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Atheism:

"Do you believe that God exists?" "No."
    "Do you believe that God doesn't exist?" "No."

Agnosticism:

"Does God exist?" "I don't know."
    "Does God not exist?" "I don't know."
    Interesting. But I am not describing myself using the word "agnostic." And I disagree with the nonsense that people who use the word "atheist" as a descriptor would answer "No" to the question, "Do you believe that God doesn't exist?" MOST (perhaps ALL) people who describe themselves as atheists...do, in fact, "believe" (guess, opine, suppose, accept) that this "God" does not exist...nor do any other gods.

I do not KNOW if any gods exist...AND I am not willing to make any guesses or suppositions on the matter. You may think it convenient to box agnostics into only dealing with the "knowledge" element...but many people using that descriptor also go to the "belief" question. Many (not ALL) do not do "believing" on the issue.

No apologies needed. Just curious why you found it "sad" or me "going off the edge". That is all.

But yes you're right. There is no contradiction.[/QUOTE]
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

6. #216 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    My apologies. I thought I was adding something to the Discussion here by noting that the 'God-Deniers' and the 'God-Believers' had something in common.
    Neither Group could PROVE their position. Each Group operated solely on 'Belief'.
    Yes! Which is to say, each group operates solely on their blind guesses about the existence or non-existence of gods.

The "god-deniers" are doing what the "god-believers" are doing...essentially making a blind guess on the question.
    ON HIS WORST DAY, JOE BIDEN IS A BETTER PRESIDENT THAN TRUMP WAS ON HIS BEST DAY!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Jack (04-22-2021)

8. #217 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Theism has to do with belief. Gnosticism has to do with knowledge. No contradiction.
    Actually theism and atheism have to do with belief. Theists and atheists "believe" (guess, suppose, accept without proof) "yes" or "no" on the question, "Are there any gods?"

9. #218 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Theism is a belief in God. A-theism is a lack of belief in God. No denial here.
    ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT!

Get over that lie...and you will begin to understand the issue.

It is a construct atheists use because they want to pretend they are not making a blind guess about the existence/non-existence of gods.

10. #219 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    The satanic bible started out as a spoof on the catholic church but their virtues somehow fit with my philosophy.

The Nine Satanic Virtues

1. Intelligence
    If stupidity is the cardinal sin to avoid, intelligence is surely a virtue. A Satanist would have a natural thirst for knowledge.

2. Competency
    Pride doesn't become pretension if you deliver the goods and accept responsibility for your path.

3. Acceptance
    Remain keenly aware that you are strange to the herd and expect no understanding from them, even regarding rudimentary facts.

4. Self-Awareness
    If you meditate on yourself, you can accept what the animal in the mirror is. Change that which is malignantly undesirable and keep what works, but if you fool yourself into thinking you could be something you're clearly not, you are set up for failure.

5. Individuality
    Build an intellectual self-defense. Use it to remain unwillingly manipulated.

6. Perspective
    It's part and parcel of acceptance, but on a more social level. Work on seeing the broad picture of human interactions and how others may view things. This is natural intuition.

7. Appreciation of History
    Regardless of field, a key to any success will be being able to identify historical patterns.

8. Pragmatism
    This is part and parcel of self-awareness, but like perspective, on a broader level. If you know your limits and abide by them, you won't be fooled by an idyllic version of reality. This requires vigilance.

9. Refined Aesthetics
    Use aesthetic judgment to enhance your understanding of the world and get what you want out of it.
    Nothing at all "evil" about this advice, is there?

LaVey drew heavily from the philosophy of Ayn Rand for his own.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #220 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,496 Times in 52,724 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Actually theism and atheism have to do with belief. Theists and atheists "believe" (guess, suppose, accept without proof) "yes" or "no" on the question, "Are there any gods?"
    Or, they could be like Mr. Owl, who when asked says merely that "There's no evidence for a human soul or for god(s)."
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #221 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I don't remember all that I should from anatomy, I guess.

Is the bottom of one's foot considered a sole, or is that just the bottom of one's shoe?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. #222 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes! Which is to say, each group operates solely on their blind guesses about the existence or non-existence of gods.

The "god-deniers" are doing what the "god-believers" are doing...essentially making a blind guess on the question.
    I believe we have the identical position on this. It seems very clear. It's 'Belief' versus 'Proof'.
    (Have you mentioned your prior Religious involvement to the Faithful here?)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Post:

Frank Apisa (04-22-2021)

15. #223 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Or, they could be like Mr. Owl, who when asked says merely that "There's no evidence for a human soul or for god(s)."
    Possible.

Not sure if Mr. Owl identifies using the descriptor "atheist"...but if he does, and if Mr. Owl were asked. "Do you 'believe', suppose, guess, or accept without proof that either no gods exist...or that it is more likely that no gods exist than that at least one does?"...how would he answer?

16. #224 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,761 Times in 7,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I believe that the entire universe and all that occurs within it are merely the random confluence of sub atomic particles interacting in the infinity of space.

The only question remaining to me is whether or not some "god" created the sub-atomic particles.

Wait, one other question: How the fuck does it matter?
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

17. #225 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mostly true. Where you lose me is in your claim that someone cannot passively lack belief and call themselves an atheist. (I don't care what 'label' you want to use for that, it IS my position). i cannot say with absolutely certainty that God does not exist, because I can't say with certainty that ANYTHING doesn't exist. That does not put me in the same position as someone who insists that God does exist. Because we both have the same tools available to establish our positions, and those tools come down 100% on one side of the issue. There is nothing in science to suggest the existence of or the need for a God. That's the fundamental reason I don't believe one exists. I think this is largely a semantics discussion, and you appear to be pretty passionate about what you perceive as the misuse of the term 'atheist'. We'll agree to disagree. The dictionary definitions of atheist includes my position, so I have no problem calling myself that. Not all atheists are created equal. But again, outside of these kinds of threads, that isn't a characteristic that defines my world view, at least not a very important one.