Thread: defining the atheist life....

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default defining the atheist life....

since the board atheists felt the need to start a thread defining Christian life, I felt it only fair we have a thread to give balance.....

what do we know about atheists......
    1) they are forced to struggle through life with no guidance other than their own feeble imaginations........
    2) they feel compelled to criticize what everyone besides themselves believe.....

feel free to discuss.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,507 Times in 1,787 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,738 Times in 1,599 Posts
    Blog Entries

An atheist life would seem to me going around obsessed with an out-dated belief held by other people.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Iolo/Penderyn For This Post:

Jarod (04-20-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

okay.....I can see it, but isn't "obsessed with what other people believe" quite a bit like #2 in the OP?.....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-20-2021)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iolo/Penderyn View Post
    An atheist life would seem to me going around obsessed with an out-dated belief held by other people.
    Neither are right. An atheist life is merely the absence of lip or actual service paid to some human-created deity. The vast majority of atheists don't care what others believe as long as they keep it to themselves.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-20-2021), Iolo/Penderyn (04-20-2021), Phantasmal (04-23-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Neither are right. An atheist life is merely the absence of lip or actual service paid to some human-created deity. The vast majority of atheists don't care what others believe as long as they keep it to themselves.
    then how do you explain the constant stream of threads from atheists discussing things like what kind of life Christian's should live?.......

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-20-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    then how do you explain the constant stream of thread from atheists discussing things like what kind of life Christian's should live?.......
    Many, if not most, atheists in this country were raised as Christians so they have a pretty good idea of what the faith entails and what is expected of the faithful. Although I am not an atheist myself, I fall into that category too. Mom was a Sunday school teacher and dad was some muckety-muck in the church we went to. No doubt you've noticed, as have the rest of us, that atheists don't care *what* beliefs someone else has -- until they start using them to proclaim their superiority, inserting them into national politics, or otherwise employing their faith as a club rather than as a light in the darkness.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-20-2021), Cypress (04-20-2021), no worries (04-21-2021), Phantasmal (04-23-2021)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

When my son was running track in middle school I had a discussion with one of the other parents at a meet. An extremely attractive young mother. Out of the blue she started talking about her atheism. I just listened and didn't interject my beliefs at all. After a lengthy train of thought she commented on how peaceful it must be to be a Christian. I just nodded my head in agreement.

If they are so happy with their beliefs, why do they insist on questioning them?

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eagle View Post
    When my son was running track in middle school I had a discussion with one of the other parents at a meet. An extremely attractive young mother. Out of the blue she started talking about her atheism. I just listened and didn't interject my beliefs at all. After a lengthy train of thought she commented on how peaceful it must be to be a Christian. I just nodded my head in agreement.

If they are so happy with their beliefs, why do they insist on questioning them?
    Based on an experience with one person?

Intelligent people are always questioning. It is only the dull and incurious who accept at face value what they think that they know, and erect walls to make sure that no new information will leak in to challenge those beliefs.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (04-21-2021), Cypress (04-20-2021), Phantasmal (04-23-2021)

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No doubt you've noticed, as have the rest of us, that atheists don't care *what* beliefs someone else has -- until they start using them to proclaim their superiority, inserting them into national politics, or otherwise employing their faith as a club rather than as a light in the darkness.
    ???....don't be silly.....I have noticed the exact opposite......again, why do you ignore all the threads on this board that demonstrate what I refer to.......here's another, started less than an hour ago....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-20-2021)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Based on an experience with one person?

Intelligent people are always questioning. It is only the dull and incurious who accept at face value what they think that they know, and erect walls to make sure that no new information will leak in to challenge those beliefs.
    I used that anecdote to illustrate my point. An upper middle class woman, blessed not only with financial success but fantastic genes, having everything that anyone could want out of life, yet probably the saddest person whom I have ever met.

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

since the board atheists felt the need to start a thread defining Christian life, I felt it only fair we have a thread to give balance.....

what do we know about atheists......
    1) they are forced to struggle through life with no guidance other than their own feeble imaginations........
    2) they feel compelled to criticize what everyone besides themselves believe.....

feel free to discuss.....
    I am not an atheist, and if asked I would mostly gravitate to agnosticism - which to me is the correct posture based on reason. Unequivocal certainty and definitive belief or denial of a higher reality, a spiritual truth is not a mark of reason or the scientific mind, imo.

I think most atheists keep to themselves. There are a small minority who relentlessly troll Christians, but those types are more anti-Christian than they are disinterested atheists.

On the flipside, some bible thumpers deserve to get trolled.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Frank Apisa (04-20-2021), no worries (04-21-2021), Phantasmal (04-23-2021), ThatOwlWoman (04-20-2021)

20. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eagle View Post
    I used that anecdote to illustrate my point. An upper middle class woman, blessed not only with financial success but fantastic genes, having everything that anyone could want out of life, yet probably the saddest person whom I have ever met.
    Sad because she's an atheist? Or something else? And you base this judgment on a few minutes spent at a kids' game?

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

???....don't be silly.....I have noticed the exact opposite......again, why do you ignore all the threads on this board that demonstrate what I refer to.......here's another, started less than an hour ago....
    I hadn't noticed those threads today. Generally I ignore them because they're trolling and offer little in the way of interesting discussion.

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is no such thing as an 'atheist life' It's like saying there is an 'I don't believe in Santa' life. I realize that some people treat atheism as a religion, but it is not, and those folks are misguided. Atheism is an ABSENCE of belief. Christians are all atheists as well, I just believe in one fewer God than they do.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

anonymoose (04-20-2021), AProudLefty (04-20-2021)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I am not an atheist, and if asked I would mostly gravitate to agnosticism - which to me is the correct posture based on reason. Unequivocal certainty and definitive belief or denial of a higher reality, a spiritual truth is not a mark of reason or the scientific mind, imo.

I think most atheists keep to themselves. There are a small minority who relentlessly troll Christians, but those types are more anti-Christian than they are disinterested atheists.

On the flipside, some bible thumpers deserve to get trolled.
    Good points. I expect that we see more "militant atheists" on discussion forums simply for the same reason that we see more virulent extremists, conspiracy whacktards, gun nuts, eco nuts, and other ppl with strongly-held beliefs.

Your point about atheists keeping it to themselves is also a good one. After all, we see far more ppl sporting a cross than we do wearing one of these. lol