Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Biden administration releases $8 billion in disaster funding for Puerto Rico.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,597 Times in 1,937 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 661 Times in 608 Posts

Default Biden administration releases $8 billion in disaster funding for Puerto Rico.

The Biden administration on Monday freed up roughly $8 billion in disaster relief funding for Puerto Rico and lifted restrictions that curtailed how it could spend such funds in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria in 2017.

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced the obligation of $8.2 billion in Community Development Block Grant Mitigation funds for the island. The move is the latest step from the Biden administration to accelerate the allocation of money for Puerto Rico and ease restrictions on the aid put in place during the Trump administration."

Bravo to the President Biden legitimate Administration at undoing a terrible wrong committed by the lawlessly hacked in sewer tRump insurgency that was beholding to foreign enemies only, and that humiliated and trashed a U.S. territory such as Puerto Rico. President Biden not only came to the aid of Puerto Rico but also for the U.S. to be there to uphold its standing when it comes to defending and protecting its territorial interests.

https://thehill.com/latino/549074-bi...5sq-CAnf7VmoWA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gemini104104 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-20-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Oh yeah, Peurto-Rican leeches needed $8 billion dollars.

Motherfucker, not to degrade any real Boris, but damn!
    Real Boris are a fading phenomenon.

I've known more than a few in my lifetime, and God bless them!

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,307 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

What Puerto Rico really needs is better building codes. While I've harped some on the overkill of these in the US, Puerto Rico's are really almost Third World and most of the structures damaged or destroyed were so substandard that it was inevitable.

This is a good example. The rafters are undersized for the span, too far apart, and there is no sheathing on the roof, just corrugated metal with too few screws anchoring it due to the lack of rafters and cross ties. I doubt that any hurricane ties were used.

Those run less than $1 each so they'd add $50 to $100 to a house's cost but they keep the roof on in high winds.

There are other examples that show that the walls are not structurally sound with too widely spaced 2 x 4 construction, a single top plate, a complete lack of sheer wall sheathing, etc. All that makes the houses built like that flimsy structures that are going to get destroyed in a hurricane.

Florida has made great strides with what's called Dade County building code to make homes as hurricane proof as they can. It could be done in Puerto Rico but hasn't been.

So, shoveling money at Puerto Rico to do the same crappy construction is a waste of time and money. The next hurricane like Maria will undo all the repairs and rebuilding because the island didn't to use Joke's vernacular, didn't Build back better.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

PR is a lost cause.

Like Haiti.

SAD
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Fuck Puerto Rico.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What Puerto Rico really needs is better building codes.
    They need a lot more than that, but the first thing they need is to care enough about their own welfare enough to give a fuck about the quality of the work they do.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Those who refuse to try to save themselves are a horrible investment.

We need to do better than that.

The stupid die.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Those who refuse to try to save themselves are a horrible investment.

We need to do better than that.

The stupid die.
    Shut it Korean.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,036 Times in 766 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 155 Times in 147 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    What Puerto Rico really needs is better building codes. While I've harped some on the overkill of these in the US, Puerto Rico's are really almost Third World and most of the structures damaged or destroyed were so substandard that it was inevitable.

This is a good example. The rafters are undersized for the span, too far apart, and there is no sheathing on the roof, just corrugated metal with too few screws anchoring it due to the lack of rafters and cross ties. I doubt that any hurricane ties were used.

Those run less than $1 each so they'd add $50 to $100 to a house's cost but they keep the roof on in high winds.

There are other examples that show that the walls are not structurally sound with too widely spaced 2 x 4 construction, a single top plate, a complete lack of sheer wall sheathing, etc. All that makes the houses built like that flimsy structures that are going to get destroyed in a hurricane.

Florida has made great strides with what's called Dade County building code to make homes as hurricane proof as they can. It could be done in Puerto Rico but hasn't been.

So, shoveling money at Puerto Rico to do the same crappy construction is a waste of time and money. The next hurricane like Maria will undo all the repairs and rebuilding because the island didn't to use Joke's vernacular, didn't Build back better.
    Really?

The same thing was found out after hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Contractors weren't securing roofs, with truss straps, no steel or not enough rebar, in columns or tie beams in a lot of homes.

Florida enacted tougher building codes after that, PR is did the same, adopting the International Building Code in 2018 .

Hopefully both revisions, help.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 61 Times in 60 Posts

I checked out a world map of population growth. Puerto rico was purple. Suspicious, i checked out a world map of heroin trafficking rates. It was the same world map! Same fking MAP.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Does puerto rico need to change or do we. Its a fking funnle for dope to the USA. With dope, the middle man is always a junky.

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Building code? You need a whole different building strategy. Buildings today are just tomorrows insurrence claims. California tinder. Whats wrong with cement? Why use wood at all? It's ridiculous.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Also with example given yere you're also making buildings more expensive. You're always going to have the problem that you need to sell what people can buy.

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"legitimate Administration"

Legitimate what?

16. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

It is builders and the wealthy who fight for lower building codes. Not the people. The problem exists in Florida and coastal regions in the US too. The residents do not make those decisions.