Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, Minister of Truth, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Niche Political Commentor, Superfreak, volsrock, Yurt, Lord Yurt, OG Yurt and Yakuda

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Defining the Christian Life

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Everyone knows, especially scientists with PhDs, that when a pollster calls you with questions about one's religious convictions, they are not asking your opinion on logarithms.
    I don't want to speak for BP, but the 'Higher Power' could mean many things and not just a 'Zeus looking guy sitting on a Throne'.

What do you specifically endorse about 'Religion'? That there really is a Single Entity? A Creator at some location? There IS a Heaven?

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    You did not cite that PEW survey.
    "A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.1 Indeed, the survey shows that scientists are roughly half as likely as the general public to believe in God or a higher power. According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. By contrast, 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power, according to a survey of the general public conducted by the Pew Research Center in July 2006. Specifically, more than eight-in-ten Americans (83%) say they believe in God and 12% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view."
    https://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/...ts-and-belief/

33% believe in God. 18% believe in Universal Spirit.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    "A survey of scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, conducted by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press in May and June 2009, finds that members of this group are, on the whole, much less religious than the general public.1 Indeed, the survey shows that scientists are roughly half as likely as the general public to believe in God or a higher power. According to the poll, just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power; specifically, 33% of scientists say they believe in God, while 18% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. By contrast, 95% of Americans believe in some form of deity or higher power, according to a survey of the general public conducted by the Pew Research Center in July 2006. Specifically, more than eight-in-ten Americans (83%) say they believe in God and 12% believe in a universal spirit or higher power. Finally, the poll of scientists finds that four-in-ten scientists (41%) say they do not believe in God or a higher power, while the poll of the public finds that only 4% of Americans share this view."
    https://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/...ts-and-belief/

33% believe in God. 18% believe in Universal Spirit.

One third is a very low percentage. Cypress is desperate.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    People who believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy at least don't try to insert those beliefs into the laws of the land.

Believe whatever makes you feel good, but remember, America was never meant to be a theocracy.

We don't need or want anybody's god or that god's rules in our laws.
    Ra-men.

I see nothing wrong with recognizing the contributions that religion, in particular Christianity, have made to our current culture. That's what Cypress is often doing when he starts a thread on the subject. That being said, a society is better off when the religious peacefully and quietly practice what they will, and leave others out of it. The Founders deliberately made sure that no particular faith was installed as the official one because it's a slippery slope eventually leading to persecution and war.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-20-2021), NiftyNiblick (04-20-2021)

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Academic scholars have largely abandoned the concept of a Dark Age, as it was taught in school in the 1950s.

I do not begrudge you your hostility to Christianity. It's your life.

In my life, I attempt to keep my mind open to the wisdom and moral philosophies of the world's religious and intellectual traditions.

I am equally willing to consider the life and philosophy of Saint Augustine as I am the atheist existential philosopher Frederich Nitzche.
    Let's see, it's over 40 posts and you haven't clearly stated ANYTHING other than: 'Mmmmm ... I don't really know or have a position on anything, why bother thinking. I'm just going with the 'Anything is Possible Theory', figuring if I cover my Bets, I'll end up being right.'

Cypress. Your initial Post and others in the Past paints you as a Religious Nut Job. Your position of 'Anything Is Possible', translates into 'Jesus could be a Man-God'.
    I'm still waiting on something positive you see in Religious Belief.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Let's see, it's over 40 posts and you haven't clearly stated ANYTHING other than: 'Mmmmm ... I don't really know or have a position on anything, why bother thinking. I'm just going with the 'Anything is Possible Theory', figuring if I cover my Bets, I'll end up being right.'

Cypress. Your initial Post and others in the Past paints you as a Religious Nut Job. Your position of 'Anything Is Possible', translates into 'Jesus could be a Man-God'.

Hard to tell what Cypress's agenda is. It looks like he is trying to convince himself that his religious beliefs are correct.

8. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

One third is a very low percentage. Cypress is desperate.
    Cypress is a Religious Quack. He surrounds himself with Scholars of the Past, and insinuates 'See, these guys believed in 'Man-Gods', what's wrong if I do?'.

(I think he's an intelligent fellow, but just brain washed as a child)

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hard to tell what Cypress's agenda is. It looks like he is trying to convince himself that his religious beliefs are correct.
    Agree. He shrouds himself with others from the Past, and Hopes that will Validate his Belief System. (If you can't get past the 'Man-God', you're a Gone Pecan)

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    People who believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy at least don't try to insert those beliefs into the laws of the land.

Believe whatever makes you feel good, but remember, America was never meant to be a theocracy.

We don't need or want anybody's god or that god's rules in our laws.
    I do not know who this is addressed to, but nothing in the OP or and subsequent post I wrote even remotely suggested making a theocracy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-20-2021)

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,764 Times in 7,267 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

I do not know who this is addressed to, but nothing in the OP or and subsequent post I wrote even remotely suggested making a theocracy.
    Right. Not accusing you of that.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Cypress (04-20-2021)

14. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...29#post2617829

Your mind-reading capabilities need work.

I profess ignorance and uncertainty about the ultimate nature of reality or a spritual truth, because to me that is the wisest course of action.

“We can know only that we know nothing. And that is the highest degree of human wisdom.” - Leo Tolstoy
    It is not the answers which matter most. What matters most is asking the right questions.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-20-2021)

16. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...29#post2617829

Your mind-reading capabilities need work.

I profess ignorance and uncertainty about the ultimate nature of reality or a spritual truth, because to me that is the wisest course of action.

It is not the answers which matter most. What matters most is asking the right questions.
    Very esoteric ... sounds right out of, mmmm, Star Trek.

I'm going to give up on asking you concrete questions on why you promote Christianity. A Slave Religion in my opinion.
    My preference is 'Epicurus'.

"The philosophy of Epicurus (341–270 B.C.E.) was a complete and interdependent system, involving a view of the goal of human life (happiness, resulting from absence of physical pain and mental disturbance), an empiricist theory of knowledge (sensations, together with the perception of pleasure and pain, are infallible criteria), a description of nature based on atomistic materialism, and a naturalistic account of evolution, from the formation of the world to the emergence of human societies."
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epicurus/

Wishing you a Pleasurable existence, Cypress. (talk to you later)

17. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Very esoteric ... sounds right out of, mmmm, Star Trek.

I'm going to give up on asking you concrete questions on why you promote Christianity. A Slave Religion in my opinion.
    My preference is 'Epicurus'.

"The philosophy of Epicurus (341–270 B.C.E.) was a complete and interdependent system, involving a view of the goal of human life (happiness, resulting from absence of physical pain and mental disturbance), an empiricist theory of knowledge (sensations, together with the perception of pleasure and pain, are infallible criteria), a description of nature based on atomistic materialism, and a naturalistic account of evolution, from the formation of the world to the emergence of human societies."
    https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/epicurus/

Wishing you a Pleasurable existence, Cypress. (talk to you later)
    You asked the wrong question based on a flawed premise.

I already told you, and showed you that I post anything I consider interesting from the broad pallete of Eastern and Western religious and intellectual traditions.

I am also probably the only poster here who has attempted to write about the atheist philosophers of the existentialist tradition - and the wisdom they might impart.

So your assertions I am a bible thumping promoter of Christianity specifically is a flawed premise which does not pass the laugh test.

18. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You did not cite that PEW survey.
    I made an entire thread about the this Pew survey a few months ago, and you were all over that thread complaining too.

I do not assume all religious scientists are Christians. Some could be Hindu, Buddhist, or Daoist, etc. That is probably what the poll is getting at.

19. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I made an entire thread about the this Pew survey a few months ago, and you were all over that thread complaining too.

I do not assume all religious scientists are Christians. Some could be Hindu, Buddhist, or Daoist, etc. That is probably what the poll is getting at.
    That study proved nothing. So what if some scientists believe in god? What does that prove?