Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who do you pick as the smartest man you know ?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

who do you pick as the smartest man you know ? ... Since I have not met some of the aforementioned folks ... that leaves only me ... now if that would have been man/woman ... that's a whole different story

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    for me its a doctor I know, his knowledge of medicine is vast and he also has a huge knowledge in other fields, on top of that he has great common sense and is with out doubt the smartest man I know . I dont think hes the smartest man but he is the smartest man I know personally.

Of note I know hm not just from a professional stand point but a private stand point also .

Now lest look at Joe Bidens pick , the great hunter Biden , if hes the smartest man joe knows I would hate to know who the dumbest he knows is .
    Seriously he chose a corrupt con man and perverted crack head as his pick kinda tells you a lot about joe dont you think.
    I don't actually know him, but the smartest man in America may very well be Thomas Sowell.

This is from the chapter "Marx the Man" from the book "Marxism" by Thomas Sowell.

Thomas Sowell: Marx The Man (47:43)

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,710 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

We do not seem to produce as many polymaths as classical antiquity. In the modern era, graduate school and the professions relentlessly emphasize micro-specialization.

Three polymaths I have run across:

Daniel Robinson, professor of neuropsychology at Georgetown University, and professor of philosophy at Oxford University. He was erudite and widely knowledgeable about psychology, philosophy, history, law, political science.

Lawrence Principe, dual PhDs in both organic chemistry and history, holds professorships in both the Chemistry Department and History Department at Johns Hopkins University

Sean Carol, holds a both degree in philosophy and a PhD in physics from Harvard, he is a research professor in theoretical physics at Cal Tech.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-19-2021)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,422 Times in 53,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    We do not seem to produce as many polymaths as classical antiquity. In the modern era, graduate school and the professions relentlessly emphasize micro-specialization.

Three polymaths I have run across:

Daniel Robinson, professor of neuropsychology at Georgetown University, and professor of philosophy at Oxford University. He was erudite and widely knowledgeable about psychology, philosophy, history, law, political science.

Lawrence Principe, dual PhDs in both organic chemistry and history, holds professorships in both the Chemistry Department and History Department at Johns Hopkins University

Sean Carol, holds a both degree in philosophy and a PhD in physics from Harvard, he is a research professor in theoretical physics at Cal Tech.
    Brilliant people, for sure. I think BullshitBoob meant in real life though.

I'm going with my husband. Not only does he have a very wide-ranging interest in a great variety of things (science, the arts, current events both local and global, economics, technology, music, culture), he reads voraciously and *remembers* all the tiny little details. Whenever we get a new device or appliance, he carefully reads the manuals front to back. Example: The first time we rented an RV, the fridge stopped being cold. I was flipping through the manual trying to figure out how to re-light the pilot light. He stuck his head up out of his book and told me. I said "How on Earth did you know that?" He said: "I read the manual after you went to bed last night." WTF!
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-19-2021)

7. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,710 Times in 27,343 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

I'm going with my husband. Not only does he have a very wide-ranging interest in a great variety of things (science, the arts, current events both local and global, economics, technology, music, culture), he reads voraciously and *remembers* all the tiny little details. Whenever we get a new device or appliance, he carefully reads the manuals front to back. Example: The first time we rented an RV, the fridge stopped being cold. I was flipping through the manual trying to figure out how to re-light the pilot light. He stuck his head up out of his book and told me. I said "How on Earth did you know that?" He said: "I read the manual after you went to bed last night." WTF!
    Smart guy.

You know you are dealing with quality people if they invest time talking about engineering principles, art, books, science - rather than about some crappy reality TV show or salacious gossip.

Come to think of it, that same principle applies to Jpp as well!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-19-2021)

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,806 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 431 Times in 393 Posts

I don't exactly know him, but Legion

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post

I have to disagree with you he cant be to smart he married YOU

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulletbob For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-21-2021)

12. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

has to be someone you personally know

13. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Bullshitbob

It's you, Bob. Nobody else would have thought of making this thread in Current Events.
    you dont know me so you cant pick me

14. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I really like it that the democrat president blow hole lying joe picked his whore mongering gun dumping lying crack head bag man con man son as the smartest man he knows . kinda tells you every thing you need to know about Joe don't it.

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,112 Times in 12,637 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

If we are talking about "know of" then the smartest woman I know is Camille Paglia. The smartest man I know of is probably Jordan Peterson, but I would want to sleep on it before giving a final answer. I might possibly change my mind, Russell Brand is an option.

As for smartest I know personally I dont have much to look up to being here in a very left area of a left state....good brains are in very short supply. I have had a lot of bad doctors in the military system over the last 34 years though my last one is awesome....which is why he is leaving next month, he got picked up for a very high speed military program in San Antonio. I barely hope to find smart people with good ideas in my daily life anymore, and most of the people that I did once look up to have allowed themselves to be rotted out with the Victim Culture Cults Woke Religion, so I was probably wrong about them all along.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,112 Times in 12,637 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    has to be someone you personally know
    In the age of youtubes and podcasts were many of us now spend a lot of hours listening to to people in conversation in a lot of different settings this seems archaic. For example I have now listened too at least 200 hours of conversation with either Bret and Heather or Bret alone with other people. These are conversations, not lectures, these are interactions, this is intimate.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

17. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think the smartest man hunter Biden knows has been found

https://www.yahoo.com/news/suspect-g...173258342.html

also could be this guy

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5oK_vgDNY...600/drugs1.jpg
    Last edited by Bulletbob; 04-19-2021 at 03:55 PM.

18. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

yes democrats choine for the smartest man they know is pretty pathic

19. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bullshitbob

I have to disagree with you he cant be to smart he married YOU

Six grammatical errors within a fourteen-word span. It definitely ain't you, pal.

Haw, haw...................................haw.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

20. The Following User Groans At moon For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-21-2021)