Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: CDC Warns Of ‘Impending Doom’ Of COVID Surges And Deaths.

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,061 Times in 7,495 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Life is Golden View Post
    God you're stupid.
    Actually, she's right, not stupid.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinksalot View Post
    So just to clarify, people who choose not to wear masks, practice social distancing or get vaccines are just bad people?
    Yes.

You're not advocating government should mandate those things?
    They should because we're only as strong as our weakest link.

What party do black people vote for overwhelmingly?
    There's a long, historical record as to why Black people are hesitant to government injecting them with something.

That's why outreach is so important.
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

#fakenews

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I think PBS did it to attract attention and make money.

Lying is never good because it breeds distrust.
    PBS is a non-profit. If anything, they did it to maintain viewership. After all, they have to compete for viewership with all the most sensationalized media sources.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Ok, warns of impending doom.

You said, "Better to lose credibility than lives."

The CDC losing credibility is highly unlikely to save lives nor are there too many way in which the losing credibility is good
    I disagree.

I doubt that headline will lose PBS any viewers. For those who refuse to watch PBS, it won't make any difference. They will still refuse.

By using strong words, it is entirely likely that some will be moved to take things more seriously and lives could very well be saved.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello cawacko,

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    PBS isn't doing itself, or anyone else, any favors by doing that. We are clearly not out of the woods regarding COVID, but headlines like this turn people off and do not help the cause.
    I have a different take on it.

I think it was very responsible reporting. Don't judge a book by it's cover, and don't judge a story by it's headline. The job of the headline is to get your attention and motivate you to pay attention to the story that follows it.

Almost nobody is going to simply look at that headline and not listen to or read the entire piece. The only people who might do that are right here on this discussion board. The public sees a story like that and either blocks it out of their mind because they want to ignore the whole pandemic (unlikely for PBS viewers,) or they listen to the whole thing and it causes them to have better understanding about how serious the situation is.

Actually, that headline was not said on the air that way. The thread title was written by me as a shortened version of the website title which read:

"The CDC is warning of an ‘impending doom’ of COVID surges, deaths. Is it warranted?"

I condensed that to read:

"CDC Warns Of ‘Impending Doom’ Of COVID Surges And Deaths."

I did that to make it a better fit in a JPP title block.

Judy Woodruff began the on-air piece by saying:

"The president urged state and local officials today to keep or reinstate mask mandates, as he and his team delivered some of the most urgent warnings yet about new COVID surges."

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Big Money Dolla,

Quote Originally Posted by Big Money Dolla View Post
    They are going up?

hmmm.... This is all media agitation and scare tactics for as CNN admitted, ratings.
    Yes, they are going up. Look at the last part of that graph closely. Definitely going up. Stopped falling. Now rising.

Also note where it bottomed out. That level is higher than the low point last summer. We never even got that low, it ceased falling and began to rise. That's the problem.

And if that is not alarming enough, look at the graph of New Cases for the world:

Screenshot_2021-04-19 COVID Live Update 142,119,355 Cases and 3,035,335 Deaths from the Coronavi.jpg

(click to enlarge)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

LV426 (04-19-2021)

9. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Big Money Dolla,

Yes, they are going up. Look at the last part of that graph closely. Definitely going up. Stopped falling. Now rising.

Also note where it bottomed out. That level is higher than the low point last summer. We never even got that low, it ceased falling and began to rise. That's the problem.

The rise is not significant enough for the hysterical article. the rise isn't even notable yet. to me the truth seems to be "it's leveled out".

10. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,422 Times in 10,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

The rise is not significant enough for the hysterical article.
    LMAO @ this stupid shit.

So BMD thinks he's got an argument and he uses data that shows COVID cases are starting to rise again, as he tries to argue they aren't.

This is the lying that we're talking about, my dude.

THIS is what we are referring to when we say how you can't control your lying habit.

So if cases keep rising, which by all accounts they will, what does that do for your argument?

to me the truth seems to be "it's leveled out".
    But it hasn't! Your own data shows it hasn't. Your own data shows it's increasing. And it shows that it's worse than it was back during the summer.

What do you think you're proving here?
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LV426 For This Post:

evince (04-19-2021)

12. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,739 Times in 27,222 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,587 Times in 18,176 Posts
    Blog Entries

13. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Big Money Dolla,

The rise is not significant enough for the hysterical article. the rise isn't even notable yet. to me the truth seems to be "it's leveled out".
    Israel is requiring people to show proof of vaccine to go to restaurants and bars.

Israel has a higher rate of vaccination cooperation than the USA.

And the results show that has been successful.

Israel has a much better looking graph of New Cases, the kind of graph we would like to see

Look at their graph of Active Cases:

Screenshot_2021-04-19 Israel COVID 837,218 Cases and 6,341 Deaths - Worldometer.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Now here is the graph of Active Cases in the USA, where we don't have as many people choosing to get the vaccine:

Active Cases in the USA:

Screenshot_2021-04-19 United States COVID 32,468,400 Cases and 581,522 Deaths - Worldometer.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

A picture tells the story.

We are not where we need to be to open up. We need more people doing the right things like getting the vaccine, distancing and mask-wearing.

14. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

15. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Big Money Dolla,

Israel is requiring people to show proof of vaccine to go to restaurants and bars.

Israel has a higher rate of vaccination cooperation than the USA.

And the results show that has been successful.

Israel has a much better looking graph of New Cases, the kind of graph we would like to see

Look at their graph of Active Cases:

Screenshot_2021-04-19 Israel COVID 837,218 Cases and 6,341 Deaths - Worldometer.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Now here is the graph of Active Cases in the USA, where we don't have as many people choosing to get the vaccine:

Active Cases in the USA:

Screenshot_2021-04-19 United States COVID 32,468,400 Cases and 581,522 Deaths - Worldometer.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

A picture tells the story.

We are not where we need to be to open up. We need more people doing the right things like getting the vaccine, distancing and mask-wearing.

Whats the population of isreal vs the US?

Did isreal change the pcr cycles like the Us did?

there are so many factors, smaller populations have stiffer peaks and and dips, think trying to wheelie a 20" bike vs a 29" bike, which is going to flip you on you back faster. not a valid comparison my friend.

16. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

CDC Warns Of ‘Impending Doom’ Of COVID Surges And Deaths.

Yet more of the perpetual "THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy For This Post:

Underdog (04-20-2021)

18. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

look at the positivity rate table

https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavir...EaAj0DEALw_wcB

we are testing more. so we see a slight uptick and your graph has it going down at the very end. our positivity rate has been hovering around 7% it's not changing significantly.