Thread: GOP never misses a chance to fail, and fail bigtime

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default GOP never misses a chance to fail, and fail bigtime

~ As luck would have it, Republicans seize on worst possible strategy to oppose Biden jobs plan

Senate Republicans have seized on opposing one of the most popular elements of President Joe Biden's American Jobs Plan as a political winner for them—raising the corporate tax rate. “I think that’s a non-negotiable red line,” Republican Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia told reporters Thursday. “For me personally, that’s a non-starter.”

Republicans have convinced themselves that shielding corporations from helping to fund projects that will specifically benefit those very same corporations is a great angle for them. They simultaneously plan to push their unpopular deficit-boosting 2017 tax cut for the rich and corporate-y as essential to a booming economy while refusing to budge at all on corporate tax increases.

The other thing congressional Republicans are whining about while drawing their red lines is the notion that President Biden isn’t sincerely seeking out bipartisan compromise on his $2 trillion infrastructure plan. Of course, nothing says compromise like "red lines." In fact, if Sen. Capito—who Biden has reached out to as a potential deal maker—isn't open to negotiating on tax increases, then any potential deal is already dead on arrival. It’s exactly what Mitch McConnell promised weeks ago even before seeing Biden’s proposal—unwavering GOP opposition.

But let's get back to the GOP's supposed silver bullet of opposing corporate tax increases. It just so happens that two separate polling outfits released fresh data this week on the matter. Quinnipiac University asked respondents whether they supported Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan, then it followed up by asking whether they would support Biden's plan if it were funded by raising corporate tax rates. Guess what—funding it by raising corporate taxes made the plan 9 points more popular.

Do you support or oppose President Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan?

Support: 44%
    Oppose: 38%

If it was funded by raising taxes on corporations, would you support or oppose President Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan?

Support: 53%
    Oppose: 39%

That +14 result just happens to mirror almost exactly the finding of this week's Civiqs/Daily Kos survey asking, "Do you support raising the corporate tax rate and eliminating certain industries' tax breaks to help fund a $2.3 trillion infrastructure and jobs bill?"

Yes: 54%
    No: 40%

Civiqs crosstabs show double-digit net positives for the corporate tax-funded plan across most demographics.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...-in-Biden-plan

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-18-2021), PoliTalker (04-18-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Teahick Of The Month Award goes to............https://nypost.com/wp-content/upload...8&h=410&crop=1

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reagansghost For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-18-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello reagansghost,

Quote Originally Posted by reagansghost View Post
    ~ As luck would have it, Republicans seize on worst possible strategy to oppose Biden jobs plan

Senate Republicans have seized on opposing one of the most popular elements of President Joe Biden's American Jobs Plan as a political winner for them—raising the corporate tax rate. “I think that’s a non-negotiable red line,” Republican Sen. Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia told reporters Thursday. “For me personally, that’s a non-starter.”

Republicans have convinced themselves that shielding corporations from helping to fund projects that will specifically benefit those very same corporations is a great angle for them. They simultaneously plan to push their unpopular deficit-boosting 2017 tax cut for the rich and corporate-y as essential to a booming economy while refusing to budge at all on corporate tax increases.

The other thing congressional Republicans are whining about while drawing their red lines is the notion that President Biden isn’t sincerely seeking out bipartisan compromise on his $2 trillion infrastructure plan. Of course, nothing says compromise like "red lines." In fact, if Sen. Capito—who Biden has reached out to as a potential deal maker—isn't open to negotiating on tax increases, then any potential deal is already dead on arrival. It’s exactly what Mitch McConnell promised weeks ago even before seeing Biden’s proposal—unwavering GOP opposition.

But let's get back to the GOP's supposed silver bullet of opposing corporate tax increases. It just so happens that two separate polling outfits released fresh data this week on the matter. Quinnipiac University asked respondents whether they supported Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan, then it followed up by asking whether they would support Biden's plan if it were funded by raising corporate tax rates. Guess what—funding it by raising corporate taxes made the plan 9 points more popular.

Do you support or oppose President Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan?

Support: 44%
    Oppose: 38%

If it was funded by raising taxes on corporations, would you support or oppose President Biden's $2 trillion infrastructure plan?

Support: 53%
    Oppose: 39%

That +14 result just happens to mirror almost exactly the finding of this week's Civiqs/Daily Kos survey asking, "Do you support raising the corporate tax rate and eliminating certain industries' tax breaks to help fund a $2.3 trillion infrastructure and jobs bill?"

Yes: 54%
    No: 40%

Civiqs crosstabs show double-digit net positives for the corporate tax-funded plan across most demographics.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...-in-Biden-plan
    Well, they had a real credibility problem the last time with the corporate tax cut in the first place. They said it would pay for itself - it didn't. They said corporations would use it to create jobs - they didn't, instead they did stock buy-backs.

It's clear that corporations didn't need that tax cut. They just took the money and ran. It is also clear there will not be any job cuts if the corporate tax rate is increased. Voters also know that this bill will create jobs because of all the infrastructure that gets improved.

Republican legislators will have go up against their own voters to protect corporations, here. I'm sure they are prepared to do that because even if they do, they do not see their base walking away. Of course, they are known to have their eyes closed on many issues.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.