Thread: Anybody ever to Japan?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Definitely get Japanese Rail Pass. Are you looking for adventure, serenity or both?
    I remember a video where some guy videoed those rare moments where geishas walked by fast. He tried to talk to them. One was nice enough to stop and give him an interview briefly before walking.

It's considered rude but she didn't mind.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Go diving or snorkeling. Beautiful. Eat a Kaiseki meal. See the Nara deer and the Snow Monkeys. Walk the Nakasendo Trail. Get the best sushi ever at fish markets and attend the fish auctions. It will blow your mind. Go to the Robot Restaurant. Wild. Do take the time to visit the Temples and Shrines. Really beautiful. Visit the Japanese Alps. There is much to do in Japan if you have the time. Cities can be fun for a few nights though you have to watch yourself. The further you are out (still all accessible by train) the kinder people are. Much more interesting non commercial things to do. You will like it.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Stay away from suspicious places. A friend of mine went in what he thought was a bar and it turns out to be where the Yakuza was. He looked around, realized where he was and slowly backed away.

Yakuza generally don't bother people unless they get involved with them . much like the mob .
    I understand they do control certain aresa to assure crime is low and business is not interfered with.

I think If I was going to japan the food would be a main attraction and some of the bars and the country side

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulletbob For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-19-2021)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,527 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 73 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I've been across much of Japan back in the 1980s. Hiroshima for the museum, peace bells and such. Over the hill from Hiroshima is Iwakuni, both a joint Naval Air base and also the site of Iwakuni castle. Good little Feudal Japan museum there. Matsushima in the north is interesting and has a good temple. Tokyo is good for a day or two just for the sights and sounds. Mt. Fuji is a popular suicide point for Japanese. Consider going there.

Don't expect the food to be like Japanese restaurants. Their staple food is noodles - Soba. Tofu too. Meat is extra. You'll find out why Japanese are a lot skinnier than Americans.

Their laws are strict on misconduct, drunkenness, etc. Don't violate any laws, mind your manners. Don't mistake politeness for weakness because they aren't weak.

Learn basic phrases in Japanese, what I call "restaurant and bar" Japanese. Japanese learn English in school so they speak at least a little. However, if you're the "ugly American" showing no respect for a shop owner they'll decline proving they know English. They're an honorable people who, on average, would rather lose a sale than look stupid in front of an Ugly American.

OTOH, if you are friendly, polite and attempt to speak Japanese, meaning you humble yourself first by looking ignorant, the smiles come out and they'll be equally polite and helpful. Between the two of you, all your questions should be answered.
    私のお尻にキス

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,784 Times in 17,103 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    Yakuza generally don't bother people unless they get involved with them . much like the mob .
    I understand they do control certain aresa to assure crime is low and business is not interfered with.

I think If I was going to japan the food would be a main attraction and some of the bars and the country side
    If you like golf, I would go to Fuji Golf Course.

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,070 Times in 7,502 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,103 Times in 1,048 Posts

My personal experience as a young man in Asia made me look to Europe as an overseas vacation site when I became older.

Not logical, I admit, but we have great Asian restaurants in Greater Boston and I'm content to frequent those.

Now that I'm older, I might have enjoyed visits to Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, and until recently, Hong Kong.
    Too old to travel that far now.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,435 Times in 52,457 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbob View Post
    私のお尻にキス
    あなたの陰茎を磨きに行きそしてそれを食べなさい
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

My son works for a fintech company in Tokyo
    Been trying to go there since last year but no flights from Thailand. My son only met his boss in the flesh for the first time two weeks ago. He wants to get out and travel more but can't right now.

He's been to Hokkaido and Sapporo before Covid and he started work. The new Hokkaido Shinkansen travels the 825 km (513 miles) from Tokyo to near Hakodate, Hokkaido's southern port city, in just over four hours. From there it's another 3.5 hours to Sapporo on the Sokuto Express. My son says it's well worth spending a few days there up in the mountains.

You can also take an overnight express from Tokyo. Of course you could always fly from Narita and comeback by train. I certainly intend to do that when I can. Might well spend an afternoon getting pissed at the Sapporo brewery, deep joy!

You'll love the Seikan railway tunnel at over 33 miles it's the longest in the world. At its deepest point it's over 800 ft below sea level.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 04-19-2021 at 11:50 PM.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    My son works for a fintech company in Tokyo
    Been trying to go there since last year but no flights from Thailand. My son only met his boss in the flesh for the first time two weeks ago. He wants to get out and travel more but can't right now.

He's been to Hokkaido and Sapporo before Covid and he started work. The new Hokkaido Shinkansen travels the 825 km (513 miles) from Tokyo to near Hakodate, Hokkaido's southern port city, in just over four hours. From there it's another 3.5 hours to Sapporo on the Sokuto Express. My son says it's well worth spending a few days there up in the mountains.

You can also take an overnight express from Tokyo. Of course you could always fly from Narita and comeback by train. I certainly intend to do that when I can. Might well spend an afternoon getting pissed at the Sapporo brewery, deep joy!

You'll love the Seikan railway tunnel at over 33 miles it's the longest in the world. At its deepest point it's over 800 ft below sea level.
    Nobody been there?

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Nobody been there?
    Will post some pics when I get the chance.