Thread: Fauci: COVID Long Haulers Struggle for Recognition, Relief, Normal Life Back

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Fauci: COVID Long Haulers Struggle for Recognition, Relief, Normal Life Back

"Adrianna Rodriguez / USA TODAY / The U.S. government is launching a nationwide initiative to study COVID-19 patients who suffer from residual symptoms months after recovery, commonly known as "COVID long-haulers," Dr. Anthony Fauci said in a White House briefing Wednesday.

The nation's leading infectious diseases expert also revealed a scientific name for the new syndrome – Post Acute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 (PASC) – further legitimizing the suffering population.

"(There are) a lot of important questions that are now unanswered that we hope with this series of initiatives we will ultimately answer," Fauci said.

The announcement comes after a study published last week in JAMA Network Open found about 30% of COVID-19 patients reported persistent symptoms as long as 9 months after illness.

These symptoms included fatigue, shortness of breath, sleeping disorders, fevers, gastrointestinal issues, anxiety and depression, and so-called "brain fog." "

Dr. Anthony Fauci aims to answer 'a lot of important questions' about 'COVID long-haulers' in new nationwide initiative

An acquaintance still suffers with a persistent cough, body aches, lack of energy over a year after getting COVID-19. This is real.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

"One study states that about 10% of people who’ve had COVID-19 will experience prolonged symptoms one, two or even three months after they were infected. One of the most frustrating parts? There seems to be no consistent reason for this to happen.

This group, which many refer to as “long-haulers,” is mixed with those who experienced both mild and severe cases. And this condition can effect anyone – young, old, those who were healthy, those who had a chronic condition, those who were hospitalized and those who weren’t. "

Cleveland Clinic: What It Means to Be a Coronavirus “Long-Hauler”

"Q: What is the average age of a long-hauler?

A. At this point we can’t determine the average age or predict who may have long-term symptoms. There is a mix of relativity young, healthy people who we’re seeing in this long-term group as well as older individuals. Hospitals are still working to analyze the data about this group and a lot of collaboration and research is happening.

Q: What symptoms do coronavirus long-haulers typically experience?

A: Long-lasting symptoms often include: coughing, tightness in the chest, shortness of breath, headaches, muscle aches and diarrhea. But perhaps the most significant symptom that is being seen across the board in coronavirus long-haulers is fatigue. Often times this group feels very run down and tired. They can’t exert themselves or exercise and simple tasks (like walking to the mailbox) will often leave them feeling exhausted. Chronic fatigue like we’re seeing in this group can be incredibly debilitating and frustrating. Many long-haulers also report brain fog, difficultly concentrating or feel like they aren’t as sharp as they used to be.

Q: Are coronavirus long-haulers still contagious?

A: It’s not very likely, but it’s a sticky question to answer. Typically after having an active infection like COVID-19, the contagiousness goes away after a week or so and you start to recover. We less commonly see persistent fevers in this group, which hints that they probably aren’t infectious months later, but it can vary. The vast majority of long-haulers test negative for COVID-19, despite lingering symptoms. We define a long-hauler as still having some sort of symptom 28 days or later after they were first infected.

Q: How are healthcare providers treating and managing coronavirus long-haulers?

A: Many health systems are starting to streamline care for this group of patients. Long-haulers should go through testing involving behavioral, pulmonary, respiratory, cardiovascular and neurological health. From there a care path and treatment is recommended and a team of providers will monitor the patient moving forward. It’s also important to drink fluids to stay hydrated, rest, focus on sleep, manage stress and eat well.

There is a lot of collaboration and research happening as more data is collected and we start to piece together the long-term effects of COVID-19 on the body. The team is there to identify symptoms that worsen and get them to the right level of care. We’re also seeing that depression and anxiety are big issues for these long-haulers, so checking in to see how they’re doing is another important aspect in the monitoring program."
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 77 Times in 75 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Dr. Anthony Fauci aims to answer 'a lot of important questions' about 'COVID long-haulers' in new nationwide initiative[/URL]
    Yep ... another fukki "Sermon from the Mount"