Thread: The Latest Republican Tactic

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    What a well-written piece; thanks for sharing it.

The writer is correct. Republicans are the grievance party. Looking back at the last (R) candidates (and winners) of presidential elections you can see their focus. They pay lip service to "making America great." How they do it is the clincher. As the writer states, they focus on fear, xenophobia, grievances (some genuine; most imaginary), division. If they can cull their followers from the herd of Americans, they can form them into a cohesive front against all the things that they want them to fear and hate. Just look at how they've been taught to see China as our most deadly enemy, for instance, but not Russia. This "woke" nonsense is just an extension of their anti-PC message. How many JPPers have we seen praising #TRE45ON because "he's not PC"?
    I’m assuming that’s a summary of the OP and I thank you for that. Your summary, if correct, made more sense to me than the word salad of the original.
    Not all of it is correct, IMO.
    A starting point for me in a discussion of the OP is why are (some) blacks pushing for more rights and freedoms than they already have? Seems to me some want more than other races because they already have the same “rights and freedoms “ you and I have. Most notably they seem to want the right to not be arrested when committing a crime.
    Blacks already have more rights and freedoms than other races with preferential treatment in hiring, school admissions (in fact they have professional schools closed to whites). Seems to me they want to be a special privileged class separate from the norms of the rest of society
    As far as Trump - he could have been effective were it not for his big fucking mouth. Imagine if he had 1/10 the oratorical skill of a Reagan or 1/2 that of Obama and the polish of either. .

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,519 Times in 52,737 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I’m assuming that’s a summary of the OP and I thank you for that. Your summary, if correct, made more sense to me than the word salad of the original.
    Not all of it is correct, IMO.
    A starting point for me in a discussion of the OP is why are (some) blacks pushing for more rights and freedoms than they already have? Seems to me some want more than other races because they already have the same “rights and freedoms “ you and I have. Most notably they seem to want the right to not be arrested when committing a crime.
    Blacks already have more rights and freedoms than other races with preferential treatment in hiring, school admissions (in fact they have professional schools closed to whites). Seems to me they want to be a special privileged class separate from the norms of the rest of society
    As far as Trump - he could have been effective were it not for his big fucking mouth. Imagine if he had 1/10 the oratorical skill of a Reagan or 1/2 that of Obama and the polish of either. .
    Well, there's a nice load of racist bullshit.

I'm pretty sure that as a white person my enjoyment of my right not to be shot during a traffic stop is something that all of us would enjoy.

As for #TRE45ON, imagine if he had 1/10 of the ethics and morality of a Reagan or an Obama?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Old Trapper,

ps: On the matter of improving JPP discussions: Please use quotes when quoting from a linked source, thank you. This delineates OP comments from quoted material.
    Most people understand that when one puts quotation marks at the beginning, and end, of a post that they are quoting from the source. Of course, that only applies to those who can actually understand the post.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that as a white person my enjoyment of my right not to be shot during a traffic stop is something that all of us would enjoy.
    All races have that same right when they don’t resist arrest. So you’re in that group that believes only blacks have the right to resist arrest. I’m curious. Why do you believe that? A form of reperations?

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As for #TRE45ON, imagine if he had 1/10 of the ethics and morality of a Reagan or an Obama?
    Reagan had ethics, and morality? Do you remember any of what he did to Central America, or even to the tax code here in the US? How about to the mentally ill?
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

All races have that same right when they don’t resist arrest. So you’re in that group that believes only blacks have the right to resist arrest. I’m curious. Why do you believe that? A form of reperations?
    Another asinine comment from the totally ignorant. No one is saying they have a right to resist arrest. They do have a right not to be killed for doing so when other means are available, and there is no threat to the life of the arresting officer. Or are you part of that group that thinks a cop should be allowed to smother a Black while he is handcuffed, and on the ground?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (04-14-2021)

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ah look! The Reichtard time-honored debate tactic of putting words in someone else's mouth that they did not say, or even insinuate. I'm pretty sure that if you or I were pulled over for a traffic stop and tried to run away when ordered out of the car, we'd be chased down but it's very unlikely that we would be shot. Try that as a black man in any American city and see if your results vary.

It is not too much for citizens to expect that their encounters with law enforcement should not be different because of race.

An example from a recent local incident: Police were called to a home where shots were fired. When they arrived, a young (looked to be in her 20s) white woman staggered out holding a handgun. The MSP repeatedly told her to drop it. She did not. Instead she turned and started to stagger back into the house where an elderly resident was (presumably the one who called the police). They shot her because they feared for the caller's life. She lived and was airlifted to a Green Bay hospital. I'd call that a righteous shooting, wouldn't you?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Cypress (04-14-2021)

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    Reagan had ethics, and morality? Do you remember any of what he did to Central America, or even to the tax code here in the US? How about to the mentally ill?
    Point taken. Even so he was better than the corruption we just got rid of.

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No one is saying they have a right to resist arrest. They do have a right not to be killed for doing so when other means are available, and there is no threat to the life of the arresting officer.
    It’s just plain stupidity to resist arrest knowing the cop has a lethal weapon.
    Just as it’s stupid to resist getting robbed when the robber has a lethal weapon. It’s an unnecessary chance these idiots are taking.
    Chauvin is a thug and a bully and hopefully will be convicted as any other thug would that did what he did.
    So of course cops don’t have the right to kill for resisting arrest but as long as they carry loaded weapons that possibility always exists and shit happens as it will continue to do. If they go too far, arrest, prosecute and convict those cops but you can’t take away their weapons.
    Last edited by anonymoose; 04-14-2021 at 10:16 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

dukkha (04-14-2021)

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Seems like so many on the right are now obsessed with the idea of "woke", or the "cancel culture". Of course, when it is they who are doing the cancelling, or are suddenly "woke" out of their slumber, one can only guess at the direction it will take. And for the most part it will be anti-American:

"Woke” was originally a term used largely by Black people in activist circles, particularly after the rise of Black Lives Matter, to signify a consciousness around racial issues in America. The term is still sometimes used in that context.

But in culture and politics today, the most prominent uses of “woke” are as a pejorative — Republicans attacking Democrats, more centrist Democrats attacking more liberal ones and supporters of the British monarchy using the term to criticize people more sympathetic to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. Those critical of so-called woke ideas and people often invoke the idea that they are being “canceled” or a victim of “cancel culture.”

As we explained in a piece earlier this week, ideas cast as woke are often coming from progressives and involve identity and race (like the notion that white people in America have privilege or that Black Americans should get reparations.) Cancel culture is broadly the idea that people advocating more liberal ideas, particularly around identity and race, have too much power and can publicly shame those who don’t agree with them, sometimes leading to those who don’t share these ideas being removed from their jobs or having their speaking invitations withdrawn (so “canceled.”)

But there is no agreed-upon definition of “woke” or a formal political organization or movement associated with it. Nor is there an exact definition of what constitutes being “canceled” or a victim of “cancel culture.” However, despite their vagueness, you now see conservative activists and Republican politicians constantly using these terms. That’s because that vagueness is a feature, not a bug. Casting a really wide range of ideas and policies as too woke and anyone who is critical of them as being canceled by out-of-control liberals is becoming an important strategy and tool on the right — in fact, this cancel culture/woke discourse could become the organizing idea of the post-Trump-presidency Republican Party.

There are at least five reasons why Republicans are likely to keep focusing on the woke and cancel culture over the next few years:

First and perhaps most important, focusing on cancel culture and woke people is a fairly easy strategy for the GOP to execute, because in many ways it’s just a repackaging of the party’s long-standing backlash approach. For decades, Republicans have used somewhat vague terms (“dog whistles”) to tap into and foment resentment against traditionally marginalized groups like Black Americans who are pushing for more rights and freedoms. This resentment is then used to woo voters (mostly white) wary of cultural, demographic and racial change."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ical-strategy/
    Not really new, every time they fall out of power they adopt something similar, during Clinton it was “family values,” and with Obama, “culture wars,” can even recall Bill O’Reily, FOX’s headline demagogue at the time, “debating” if Santa was black or white

Kinda like deficits, debt, judicial restraint, Executive power, etc, all depends on who occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue

14. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Not really new, every time they fall out of power they adopt something similar, during Clinton it was “family values,” and with Obama, “culture wars,” can even recall Bill O’Reily, FOX’s headline demagogue at the time, “debating” if Santa was black or white

Kinda like deficits, debt, judicial restraint, Executive power, etc, all depends on who occupies 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
    Based on the bolded do you think this 'battle' over the whole Robin DiAngelo, Ibram Kendi and the anti-racism movement, Hannah Nicole Jones and the 1619 Project will now change based on who is in the White House?

15. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

. Ah look! The Reichtard time-honored debate tactic of putting words in someone else's mouth that they did not say, or even insinuate.
    I wish you’d STFU with that nonsense. It makes you look really stupid and over emotional. I’m one of the few non-dems attempting to have a rational argument with a prog. It’s not like I’m far right, just lean that way.
    I'm pretty sure that if you or I were pulled over for a traffic stop and tried to run away when ordered out of the car, we'd be chased down but it's very unlikely that we would be shot. Try that as a black man in any American city and see if your results vary.
    There’s just no hard statistics on that so there’s no way to say. I do know that when a white guy gets shot and killed at a traffic stop it just gets very little publicity. I’ve seen it happen here. He was stupid enuf to resist arrest, BTW.

An example from a recent local incident: Police were called to a home where shots were fired. When they arrived, a young (looked to be in her 20s) white woman staggered out holding a handgun. The MSP repeatedly told her to drop it. She did not. Instead she turned and started to stagger back into the house where an elderly resident was (presumably the one who called the police). They shot her because they feared for the caller's life. She lived and was airlifted to a Green Bay hospital. I'd call that a righteous shooting, wouldn't you?
    Of course.

16. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I wish you’d STFU with that nonsense. It makes you look really stupid and over emotional. I’m one of the few non-dems attempting to have a rational argument with a prog. It’s not like I’m far right, just lean that way. There’s just no hard statistics on that so there’s no way to say. I do know that when a white guy gets shot and killed at a traffic stop it just gets very little publicity. I’ve seen it happen here. He was stupid enuf to resist arrest, BTW.

.Of course.
    Then stop writing what you wish I said and address what I did say. It's not that hard.

17. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Just as an example of the "cancel culture" of the right wing, from another site I post at a poster offered these examples:

"the time the Right tried have Married With Children cancelled?

the time the Right tried to 'cancel' the Dixie Chicks for expressing an opinion.

the time the Right tried to cancel Colin Kaepernick..

the time the Right tried to cancel Target because they wouldn't discriminate against transgender people

the time the Right tried to cancel NASCAR when they banned the Confederate flag at its events . ..

the time the Right tried to cancel Kathy Griffin. ..

when the Right tried to cancel French Fries did they eat Freedom Fries.?

the time in Salem when they tried to cancel Witches

with McCarthy's help they tried to cancel the entire movie industry.

they cancelled abolitionist Cassius Clay by court order.."

What they will never try to cancel is their f**king hypocrisy.

18. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Then stop writing what you wish I said and address what I did say. It's not that hard.
    Take away from what we should be able to agree on:

Resisting arrest should not be a death sentence unless the resister is armed.
    Resisting arrest is plain stupid knowing cops have guns and some use them, possibly even accidentally as in the Duante Wright case.
    Whites get shot and killed at traffic stops yet we hear very little of those incidents.
    What we probably do not agree on is this:
    I truly believe all this publicly of blacks getting shot and killed by cops is enabling them to resist arrest, thinking they can get away with it. Not good.