Thread: The Latest Republican Tactic

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,424 Times in 7,541 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Oh blacks are defacto criminals and whatever abuse they get is deserving. Whites however do not commit crimes so they can be assumed to be innocent. The innocent until proven guilty is altered by color.
    Believe what you want. Whatever floats your boat. (I wouldn't want to be in that boat)

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,096 Times in 13,073 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Old Trapper,

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    Most people understand that when one puts quotation marks at the beginning, and end, of a post that they are quoting from the source. Of course, that only applies to those who can actually understand the post.
    OK, I see what happened.

A single quote mark preceded the post and a single quote mark succeeded it. The preceding quote mark was not put there; it was part of what was being quoted.

If a quote mark had been put at the beginning of the quoted material, it would have resulted in two quote marks at the beginning. That would have allayed any confusion.

btw, I agree with what was posted, and gave it a 'Thanks.'
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,537 Times in 10,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

fixed thread title
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

PoliTalker (04-14-2021)

5. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    WHAT "FREEDOMS" DO BLACK AMERICANS NOT HAVE ??
    The freedom from racism, at least, I suppose.

6. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Of course "woke" became a pejorative, just as liberal has, and progressive is becoming. The Left has the Crapper touch. Everything they touch turns to shit, even words.
    That's just a peer pressure thing only found among outspoken conservatives who have an outsized view of their own views, assuming it's 'everybody.' It isn't.

Often times, others will tolerate such behavior and simply not respond to it. That's not agreement. That's often somebody thinking what's being said is bogus, but simply refraining from responding to it because they don't want to engage in a discussion on that level or alienate the speaker.

Being liberal, woke or progressive are seen as good things in many circles.

And those circles are growing.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,960 Times in 13,211 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 834 Times in 793 Posts

It has become a pejorative, like it or not. And, not just in the US.

Britain is a land made by liberals in which nobody wants to be called a liberal. A common practice in the US is slowly being imported into Britain. Liberal is becoming a political insult. Used in such a fashion, it has little or no determinate meaning.
    https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...litical-insult

Variants of it are Limousine Liberal, Elitist Liberal, or Neoliberal.

Sure, it rankles the Left to no end that Liberal has become a dirty word, but for the rest of society it is associated with a negative connotation in politics. It conveys the idea of someone advocating not for freedom of whatever but more government control, more taxes, more government programs, and in general someone who thinks they know how to run your life better than you do even as you can see their life is totally fucked up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

Grokmaster (04-14-2021)

9. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,627 Times in 10,691 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    The latest and worst Repub tactic is massive voter suppression. they are pushing laws in 47 states to make it more difficult to vote, for people who are likely Dem voters. It tells you what they think of Democracy and the right to vote. It is what they call winning, Winning =cheating
    STILL THINK BLACKS ARE TOO STUPID TO GET IDs WE SEE.

RACIST MUCH?
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

10. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,627 Times in 10,691 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 617 Times in 606 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    The freedom from racism, at least, I suppose.
    NO SUCH FREEDOM. PEOPLE CAN THINK WHAT THEY WANT, AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK RACISTS I AM NOT "FREE" FROM...
    TRUMP WILL TAKE FORTY STATES...UNLESS THE SAME IDIOTS WHO BROUGHT US THE 2020 DUNCE-O-CRAT IOWA CLUSTERFUCK CONTINUE THEIR SEDITIOUS ACTIVITIES...THEN HE WILL WIN EVEN MORE ..UNLESS THE RED CHINESE AND DNC COLLUDE, USE A PANDEMIC, AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS VIOLATE ARTICLE II OF THE CONSTITUTION, TO FACILLITATE MILLIONS OF ILLEGAL, UNVETTED, MAIL IN BALLOTS IN THE DARK OF NIGHT..

De Oppresso Liber

11. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,762 Times in 17,092 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,343 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grokmaster View Post
    NO SUCH FREEDOM. PEOPLE CAN THINK WHAT THEY WANT, AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF BLACK RACISTS I AM NOT "FREE" FROM...
    You know what I mean.

12. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello T. A. Gardner,

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    It has become a pejorative, like it or not. And, not just in the US.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...litical-insult

Variants of it are Limousine Liberal, Elitist Liberal, or Neoliberal.

Sure, it rankles the Left to no end that Liberal has become a dirty word, but for the rest of society it is associated with a negative connotation in politics. It conveys the idea of someone advocating not for freedom of whatever but more government control, more taxes, more government programs, and in general someone who thinks they know how to run your life better than you do even as you can see their life is totally fucked up.
    We are all part of a social collective. Like it or not, we all depend on each other. Rather than leave things to chance, our part of the human collective has an organization which binds all Americans together. That organization is called government. Government is a good thing, and necessary for the betterment of the collective. Our country could not function without it.

Fortunately, Americans have input over what government does. We created our own government which includes representation, and the ability of the individuals within the collective to modify the government as needed. Thus, is is illogical to hate government or it's natural expansion to meet the needs of our expanding society.

Government goes awry when there is too much influence from big money and selfish greedy individuals.

Republicans are in a difficult position of wanting to control the very thing they resent and hate, government.

The Republican position is further complicated by the fact that Republican voters want things that their big-money-taking Congress members never deliver on, such as more control over big money powerful corporations, and more gun control legislation.

Republican voters like to blame liberals for the things their own elected Republicans are responsible for, such as special treatment for the very rich.

Republicans wish they had a party platform with distinct positions on issues; but instead all they have is subservience to the former president, who claimed he could not only balance the federal budget but completely eliminate the federal debt, but instead ran it sky-high because all he could accomplish was permanent tax cuts for the super-rich, and temporary ones for the rest, which are due to expire. And the greedy tax cuts never paid for themselves, so the debt skyrocketed.

If Republicans are upset at liberals and want to pretend 'everybody' thinks of them in a disparaging light, (when really, it is only them, and they are a shrinking group,) it is understandable, since their election-losing selfish leader let them down; and Republicans are lost and hurting.

It's no wonder fewer and fewer people wish to identify with the Republican party.

Lashing out at liberals? - Predictable.