Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Next time a leftist tries the "party switch/Southern strategy" lie; blast them

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thumbs up Next time a leftist tries the "party switch/Southern strategy" lie; blast them

Quote Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
    The idea that Richard Nixon used a racist "Southern Strategy" is a phony old myth.

It is still pulled out, on the odd occasion, by Leftist nit-wits in the context of debates about the politics of race in America in the 20th century.

Once upon a time, the Democratic Party was the Party of Jim Crow, and the Republican Party was the Party of emancipation and racial integration.

Democrats were the Confederacy and Republicans were the Union. Jim Crow Democrats were dominant in the South and socially tolerant Republicans were dominant in the North.

But then in the 1960's and 1970's everything supposedly "flipped". Suddenly, the Republicans became racists and the Democrats became the champions of Civil Rights

Why did this happen?

The story - which was fabricated by left-leaning academic elites and journalists - went like this...Republicans could not win in a national election by appealing to the better nature of the country, they could only win by appealing to the worst.

The leftist media pinned this plot on their all - purpose "bad guy" the villainous, Republican President Richard Nixon, and it came to be known as "The Southern Strategy".

The "Southern Strategy" was very simple. Here was its rationale...

(1) WIN ELECTIONS BY WINNING THE SOUTH.
    (2) TO WIN THE SOUTH APPEAL TO RACISTS.
    (3) SO THE REPUBLICANS, THE PARTY OF FREEDOM, WERE NOW TO BE LABELLED THE PARTY OF "RED-NECKS."

BUT THE STORY OF THE TWO - PARTIES SWITCHING IDENTITIES IS A MYTH. Actually, it's THREE MYTHS rolled into ONE BIG FALSE NARRATIVE.

MYTH (1).... In order to be competitive in the South Republicans started to pander to White racists in the 1960's.

THE FACTS...Republicans actually became competitive in the South as early as 1928 when Republican Herbert Hoover won over 47% of the South's popular vote against Democrat, Al Smith. Then in 1952 Republican President Dwight Eisenhower won the Southern States of: Texas; Florida and Virginia. In 1956, he picked up: Louisiana; Kentucky and West Virginia too. And this was after he supported the Supreme Court decision in "BROWN vs BOARD of EDUCATION" that desegregated public schools. It was also after he sent the 101st Airborne to Little Rock Central High School to enforce racial segregation.

MYTH (2)....Southern Democrats angry with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 switched Parties.

THE FACTS....Of the 21 Democrats who opposed the Civil Rights Act, just ONE became a Republican. The other 20 continued to be elected as Democrats or were replaced by other Democrats. On average, these 20 seats didn't go Republican for another 25 years.

MYTH (3)... Since the implementation of the "Southern Strategy", the Republicans have dominated the South.

FACTS Richard Nixon, the man who is typically credited with creating "The Southern Strategy" lost the deep South in 1968. In contrast, Democrat Jimmy Carter nearly swept the region in 1976, nearly 12 years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Then in 1992, over 28 years later, Democrat, Bill Clinton, won: Georgia; Louisiana; Arkansas; Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

The truth is Republicans didn't hold a majority of Southern Congressional seats until 1994, 30 years after the Civil Rights Act.

In short, if the Southern "Red-Necks ditched the Democrats because of the Civil Rights Law passed in 1964, then it's kinda strange that they waited until the late 1980's and early 1990's to do so?

SO WHAT HAPPENED ?

WHY DOES THE SOUTH NOW VOTE OVERWHELMINGLY REPUBLICAN? The reason is because the South itself has changed. Its VALUES have changed.

The racism that once defined it does not define it any more. Today its values are CONSERVATIVE: pro-life; pro-guns and pro-small government. Southern Whites are more likely to vote for a Black Conservative like Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, than a White Liberal.

Like other regions of America, the South increasingly votes VALUES and not skin color.

The myth of a "Southern Strategy" cooked up by that Devil incarnate, Richard Milhous Nixon, is just an excuse the Democrats have made up for losing the South and a means to smear the Republican Party with baseless allegations of racism.
    Kudos to Dachshund!

I am saving a copy for future use when ignorant DEMOCRATS repeat these lies.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 84 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Kudos to Dachshund!

My pleasure.

Dachshund

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dachshund For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-14-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,068 Times in 8,417 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 595 Times in 591 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Kudos to Dachshund!

I notice no leftist dimwits have come to discuss this.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,460 Times in 7,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 510 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    I notice no leftist dimwits have come to discuss this.
    This makes their brains short out and triggers them into rage mode.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt Dillon For This Post:

MAGA MAN (04-14-2021), Yakuda (04-13-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

1860 election - Lincoln (R) takes the White House. The southern states go to Stephen Douglas (D) who believed states had the right to institute slavery. South goes to the racist candidate.
    1864 election - Lincoln (R) wins re-election, the south has seceded. South continues to support slavery and racism.
    1868 election - Grant wins easily, three southern states do not participate in the election.
    1872 election - Grant easily wins re-election. Southern states are mostly split, Grant wins everything else. South again goes racist.
    1872-1944 - The South, in a backlash to Civil War, goes Democratic in EVERY SINGLE ELECTION, with Republicans only winning six states during that entire period.

As a result of the Civil War being prosecuted by a Republican, the South goes full racist, supporting Democrats who are almost exclusively racist Dixiecrats.

1948 - Democrat Hubert Humphrey champions civil rights as part of the Democratic party platform. The racist South responds by running a Dixiecrat and notorious racist Strom Thurmond, who easily wins the Southern states.
    1950 - 1964 - Democrats again control the South, but the hold weakens as Democrats push harder for Civil Rights.

1968 - After the passage of the civil rights act, the racist south runs George Wallace as an Independent. He easily wins the racist Southern States.
    1972 - The Southern Strategy is put into place. For the FIRST TIME since the end of the Civil War, the racist South, in response to the passage of the Civil Rights Act by Democrats, goes Republican. Since 1972, Republicans have won the South in every election except for Jimmy Carters 1976 win.

Conclusion - The Southern Strategy played on the overt racism in the South to lock the area up for the next 50 years. The Southern states are chock full of scumbag racists.

Next?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Concart For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-13-2021), domer76 (04-15-2021), no worries (04-14-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Conman View Post
    Next?
    MYTH (1).... In order to be competitive in the South Republicans started to pander to White racists in the 1960's.

THE FACTS...Republicans actually became competitive in the South as early as 1928 when Republican Herbert Hoover won over 47% of the South's popular vote against DEMOCRAT, Al Smith. Then in 1952 Republican President Dwight Eisenhower won the Southern States of: Texas; Florida and Virginia. In 1956, he picked up: Louisiana; Kentucky and West Virginia too. And this was after he supported the Supreme Court decision in "BROWN vs BOARD of EDUCATION" that desegregated public schools. It was also after he sent the 101st Airborne to Little Rock Central High School to enforce racial segregation.

MYTH (2)....Southern DEMOCRATS angry with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 switched Parties.

THE FACTS....Of the 21 DEMOCRATS who opposed the Civil Rights Act, just ONE became a Republican. The other 20 continued to be elected as DEMOCRATS or were replaced by other DEMOCRATS. On average, these 20 seats didn't go Republican for another 25 years.

MYTH (3)... Since the implementation of the "Southern Strategy", the Republicans have dominated the South.

FACTS Richard Nixon, the man who is typically credited with creating "The Southern Strategy" lost the deep South in 1968. In contrast, DEMOCRAT Jimmy Carter nearly swept the region in 1976, nearly 12 years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Then in 1992, over 28 years later, DEMOCRAT, Bill Clinton, won: Georgia; Louisiana; Arkansas; Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia.

The truth is Republicans didn't hold a majority of Southern Congressional seats until 1994, 30 years after the Civil Rights Act.

In short, if the Southern "Red-Necks ditched the DEMOCRATS because of the Civil Rights Law passed in 1964, then it's kinda strange that they waited until the late 1980's and early 1990's to do so?

SO WHAT HAPPENED ?

WHY DOES THE SOUTH NOW VOTE OVERWHELMINGLY REPUBLICAN? The reason is because the South itself has changed. Its VALUES have changed.

The racism that once defined it does not define it any more. Today its values are CONSERVATIVE: pro-life; pro-guns and pro-small government. Southern Whites are more likely to vote for a Black Conservative like Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina, than a White Liberal.

Like other regions of America, the South increasingly votes VALUES and not skin color.

The myth of a "Southern Strategy" cooked up by that Devil incarnate, Richard Milhous Nixon, is just an excuse the DEMOCRATS have made up for losing the South and a means to smear the Republican Party with baseless allegations of racism.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post
    Republicans have won the South in every election except for Jimmy Carters 1976 win?
    and the reason demmycrats haven't won since then was Jimmy Carter's abysmal presidency.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    and the reason demmycrats haven't won since then was Jimmy Carter's abysmal presidency.....
    They won in '92 because of Big Ears, and they won in '08 because "black candidate".

We all know how they "won" in 2016.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

they won in 92 because of George Bush.......they won in 08 because of George Bush.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    they won in 92 because of George Bush.......they won in 08 because of George Bush.....
    The first time it was because of Big Ears splitting the vote. The second time it was because "black candidate".

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Concart View Post

Conclusion - The Southern Strategy played on the overt racism in the South to lock the area up for the next 50 years. The Southern states are chock full of scumbag racists.
    Sorry pal, but unlike you I actually lived decades in both the NE and The South. The NE is full of people obsessed with race and The South is full of folks who just don't care what color you are. So shut the fuck up.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Eagle View Post
    Sorry pal, but unlike you I actually lived decades in both the NE and The South. The NE is full of people obsessed with race and The South is full of folks who just don't care what color you are. So shut the fuck up.
    You smell of borsht

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    You smell of borsht
    You are a racist.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans