Members banned from this thread: moon, domer76, Nomad, CharacterAssassin, ThatOwlWoman, Jack, LV426, Trumpet and Hoosier Daddy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's on EU! Brussels 'weaponised' Northern Ireland to 'punish' UK for Brexit

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Right now, Ulster Protestants are getting very violent. They are not playing. Soon it will be the Catholic Northern Irish joining in. The UK is hurdling towards a war.
    At least that would unify Ireland finally. Good time for the U.K. to let go.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Salty just can't stop bullshitting, he knows nothing about Northern Ireland.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,024 Times in 8,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

It is becoming a perfect storm. Catholic just recently started outnumbering Protestants in Northern Ireland. The UK leaving the EU completely means that there will have to be a customs barrier somewhere, and the better place is between the UK and Northern Ireland. Even if they do put it between Northern Ireland and the Republic, that will just hammer home how interdependent the economies are. The North Irish have become used to crossing into Ireland.

And you have the strong support for independence in Scotland. The Protestants in Northern Ireland are most connected to Scotland, so if Scotland is no longer considering themselves as part of the UK, then the Protestants have trouble considering themselves as part of the UK.

The Unionists no longer see a political way out of this, and have turned to violence hoping to delay Northern Ireland from leaving the UK.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There is something odd about this debate. The same people who demand a symbolic wall along our southern border, and even closing the border completely.... The same people who demand that the UK chose their own, independent trading and immigration policy, separate from the EU.... The same people who demand a controlled border to keep out EU immigrants.... Are also demanding a completely open border with the EU.

Wouldn't the Romanians and Poles just drive over the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland?

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    Salty just can't stop bullshitting, he knows nothing about Northern Ireland.
    It’s always been a bit too complicated for me. I just sit back and listen but this post just reeks of bullshit.

Aside:
    I enjoy watching good movies about Ireland’s troubled history to better understand it. This was my favorite to date: The Wind That Shakes the Barley
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It is becoming a perfect storm. Catholic just recently started outnumbering Protestants in Northern Ireland. The UK leaving the EU completely means that there will have to be a customs barrier somewhere, and the better place is between the UK and Northern Ireland. Even if they do put it between Northern Ireland and the Republic, that will just hammer home how interdependent the economies are. The North Irish have become used to crossing into Ireland.

And you have the strong support for independence in Scotland. The Protestants in Northern Ireland are most connected to Scotland, so if Scotland is no longer considering themselves as part of the UK, then the Protestants have trouble considering themselves as part of the UK.

The Unionists no longer see a political way out of this, and have turned to violence hoping to delay Northern Ireland from leaving the UK.
    Sounds like the Unionists are a minority in N. Ireland.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not all Protestants are Unionists, but pretty much all Unionists are Protestants. And Protestants have gone from 60% in 1960 to 48% in 2019. So right now, 48% is pretty much the upper limit for Unionists.

They can still win elections. Lets say they get 40% of the vote in a district, Sinn Fein gets 30% of the vote, and Alliance (which does not take a position on which country Northern Ireland should be in) also gets 30% of the vote. The Unionists just won the election, even though they did not get a majority.

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

There is something odd about this debate. The same people who demand a symbolic wall along our southern border, and even closing the border completely.... The same people who demand that the UK chose their own, independent trading and immigration policy, separate from the EU.... The same people who demand a controlled border to keep out EU immigrants.... Are also demanding a completely open border with the EU.

Wouldn't the Romanians and Poles just drive over the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland?
    same people?.......last time I looked the people concerned about a wall between the US and Mexico were Americans and the people worried about a border between Northern Ireland and Ireland were Irish.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

9. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It’s always been a bit too complicated for me. I just sit back and listen but this post just reeks of bullshit.

Aside:
    I enjoy watching good movies about Ireland’s troubled history to better understand it. This was my favorite to date: The Wind That Shakes the Barley
    Salty knows fuck all but I'm past trying to educate the cunt.

10. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

There is no doubt about it, the Eurotwats were always more interested in using the border as a means to get one over on the Brits. Now they are shitting themselves fearing they'll get blamed for causing new tensions over a relatively trivial issue.

EU used Northern Ireland to 'leverage position' - Brexit 'political football', says MP

NORTHERN IRELAND was used as "political football" during Brexit negotiations - and by the EU as "leverage", a Tory MP has claimed.

He said: “The Republic of Ireland and the EU Commission were absolutely obsessed with this border and we now see they should have given equal concern to the other border they’ve created down the Irish Sea.

“I do think the European Union used it as a bargaining tool. Do you know there are five times more checks on the trade crossing between GB and Northern Ireland than there is in all the trade crossings into the European Union?"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...ard-jenkin-ont

11. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Aside:
    That film is a very one sided mess by arch-propagandist Ken Loach intended for naive Americans sadly. You'll never really understand the issues if you watch unsubtle agitprop like that! Here is a far more nuanced and truer critique for you to read.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/win...s_barley_0806/

Michael Collins is a far better film apart from Julia Roberts laughable attempt at an Oirish accent. Maybe they should have overdubbed her voice? It was scandalously by Hollywood I suspect because it didn't follow the script pre-ordained by the powers that be.

[
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 04-16-2021 at 02:23 AM.

12. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primavera View Post
    There is no doubt about it, the Eurotwats were always more interested in using the border as a means to get one over on the Brits. Now they are shitting themselves fearing they'll get blamed for causing new tensions over a relatively trivial issue.

EU used Northern Ireland to 'leverage position' - Brexit 'political football', says MP

NORTHERN IRELAND was used as "political football" during Brexit negotiations - and by the EU as "leverage", a Tory MP has claimed.

He said: “The Republic of Ireland and the EU Commission were absolutely obsessed with this border and we now see they should have given equal concern to the other border they’ve created down the Irish Sea.

“I do think the European Union used it as a bargaining tool. Do you know there are five times more checks on the trade crossing between GB and Northern Ireland than there is in all the trade crossings into the European Union?"

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...ard-jenkin-ont
    The EU is weak.....and apparently its leaders have decided that force must be applied..... least anyone else get unapproved ideas.....for instance leaving.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

13. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's just around half and half now but unless they lower the voting age to five or less it's not going to make any difference.

14. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,029 Times in 12,559 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,401 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries

Irish peace was hard won....fucking that up without a really really really good reason would be insane.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

15. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    Irish peace was hard won....fucking that up without a really really really good reason would be insane.
    Well, it is now fucked up. Who knows if there is a way to un-fuck it up. I can see the argument that Brexit was a good reason, but I do disagree.

Brexit promised all things to all people. That is just not possible. When the bill comes due, it is important to blame the Brexiteers, and the Brexiteers alone. They also get the credit for the good that comes from Brexit, but I believe it will be outweighed by the bad.