Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mars Helicopter Does CHOP! CHOP! CHOP!

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would be in favor of barely lifting off and then immediately dropping right back down, initially.

Analyze, make sure all went as hoped.

Then for the second attempt, go slightly higher and right back down.

Followed by another analysis.

Only then go for more extended flight.

Three times is a charm.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-14-2021)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,761 Times in 17,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,342 Times in 2,261 Posts
    Blog Entries

I guess Perseverance rover got so bored waiting for the message it just started snapping pictures around.

Ever seen the movie Rain Man? Yeah he kept snapping pictures everywhere.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-14-2021), ThatOwlWoman (04-14-2021)

5. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's getting ready!

6. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    It's getting ready!

This one keep making me think of a dragonfly.

Here's a brief animation of the helicopter deployment.

7. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,531 Times in 10,535 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'd love to see the code for the controlling AI. There is no way you could "remote control" it from this far away, 20 minute or more delay would crash that thing.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-15-2021)

9. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I'd love to see the code for the controlling AI. There is no way you could "remote control" it from this far away, 20 minute or more delay would crash that thing.
    I'd love to see the source code myself. Isn't the code open to the public or shouldn't it be? NASA is paid by us taxpayers.

10. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'd love to see the source code myself. Isn't the code open to the public or shouldn't it be? NASA is paid by us taxpayers.
    So it the US Navy and I guarantee the code we use for controlling missiles is not available to the public therefore...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Damocles For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (04-16-2021)

12. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So it the US Navy and I guarantee the code we use for controlling missiles is not available to the public therefore...

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/p...er-video-game/

As to the missiles, that is understandable since it's a matter of national security.

13. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/p...er-video-game/

As to the missiles, that is understandable since it's a matter of national security.
    My guess is such artificial intel would also be a matter of national security. There would be much overlap.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My guess is such artificial intel would also be a matter of national security. There would be much overlap.
    Yeah that is understandable.

There's plenty of source codes for AI on NASA's site: https://code.nasa.gov/

And naturally there's plenty of source codes for drones flying on their own available on the Internet.

15. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's getting ready!

ideo=youtube;IQ0Rp2HUYEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ0Rp2HUYEo[/video]
    This is how I feel when I watched that video.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-15-2021)

17. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

FLIGHT ON MARS!!!

Scientific American
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Cypress (04-21-2021), Doc Dutch (04-21-2021)

19. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,619 Times in 51,914 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is how I feel when I watched that video.

[video=youtube;5qnqWH7vLV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnqWH7vLV0
    Feel like getting one of these?

God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

AProudLefty (04-21-2021)

21. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Dutch Uncle,

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Feel like getting one of these?

Not worth the risk. It is unwise to experiment with one's life for a cheap thrill.

22. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,619 Times in 51,914 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    There was once a time when the middle class could earn a good wage, support a family, and pay their taxes. The wealthy paid their fair share of taxes, and there was money for scientific experiment. I just question the combination of lower revenue and increased spending on this program? The nation is crumbling around us. It could certainly be argued that many of our advancements in society have come from the space program.

I think we forgot about the basics, though.
    There are certainly issues, but compare the standard of living in the 1950s to someone in the lower middle class now.

A big part of the problem, besides enough taxes to cover spending, is that Americans are repeatedly pushed to be consumers. Keep up with the Jones. The "if you don't have a late model car for $50K, then you're a loser" attitude. In short, people are wasting so much of their money on fun stuff that they need to work harder to cover their bills.

Example: Private schools for kids. Both parents work to cover the higher expense.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"