Thread: Dr. Martin Tobin's opinion of Floyd's death

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,633 Times in 51,921 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The defense's medical experts are going to say something else, but the prosecution hit the first home run today.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/der...-21/index.html

Dr. Martin Tobin, a physician in pulmonary and critical care medicine, testified after having reviewed the medical records in the Floyd case.

"Mr. Floyd died from a low level of oxygen," Tobin testified. "And this caused damage to his brain that we see and it also caused a PEA arrhythmia, that caused his heart to stop."

PEA means pulseless electrical activity, "which is a particular form of abnormal beat of heart — an arrhythmia," he explained.

He also shared his opinion on the cause for the low level of oxygen in Floyd. "The cause of the low level of oxygen was shallow breathing. Small breaths. Small tidal volumes. Shallow breaths that weren't able to carry the air through his lungs down to the essential areas of the lungs that get oxygen into the blood and get rid of the carbon dioxide."

Tobin also testified that fentanyl did not have an effect in "causing depression of the respiratory centers" in Floyd. Tobin said that with fentanyl, Floyd's respiratory rate should have been 10, instead the rate was at 22, which is normal.

"Basically it tells you that there isn't fentanyl on board that is affecting his respiratory centers. It's not having an effect on his respiratory centers," Tobin told the prosecution.

Tobin noted that the normal range for a respiratory rate is between 12 and 22. Tobin testified that Floyd's respiratory rate was 22 just before he lost consciousness.
    It was devastating testimony for the defense. Notice how they kept objecting then being overruled. Today is the coroner who did the autopsy. I doubt there will be a difference in the outcome.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    His lawyers will have to make a compelling argument and appeal to their sense of fairness and make sure they understand that there is a much more important principle at stake here than kowtowing to popular opinion for the sake of peace and quiet.

If Chauvin gets sent to prison, it should be to a minimum security facility.

He doesn't need to be locked in with hard core criminals.
    Why special treatment for a convicted murderer? He's a flight risk if sent to prison for 20+ years.

Sure, he needs to be protected as an ex-cop and a racist murderer, but minimum security?

As a reference, consider the prison where Bernie Madoff is located: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...omplex,_Butner
    He's in the medium security section as a flight risk.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,905 Times in 7,965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,669 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Why special treatment for a convicted murderer? He's a flight risk if sent to prison for 20+ years.

Sure, he needs to be protected as an ex-cop and a racist murderer, but minimum security?
    FWIU, the maximum he can be sentenced to for 2nd degree involuntary murder or 3rd degree murder, the two most serious charges against him, is 15 years.

Given Minnesota's sentencing guidelines, he would only have to serve 2/3 of that with the remaining 1/3 on parole.

Subtract the year he's spent in custody and various good behavior and gain time deductions, and he's probably looking at 8 years or so tops.

And I disagree that he's a flight risk.

He's obviously rational enough to understand that getting the sentence behind him would be the only way he'll ever come close to rebuilding what might be left of his life.

But we all know the bitter need for harsh vengeance the self righteous sjw crowd demands for anyone who doesn't toe the PC line for the protected classes.
    https://i.postimg.cc/PqVCnGks/gojoe1.jpg
    C'MON MAN!!!!

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It was devastating testimony for the defense. Notice how they kept objecting then being overruled. Today is the coroner who did the autopsy. I doubt there will be a difference in the outcome.
    The defense will have its own expert witnesses.

And they get to go after the prosecution, so their witness' testimony will be fresher in the jury's minds.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,175 Times in 10,393 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Awwwwwwww..... did I hurt your little SJW feelings again?
    Sure didn’t. I’m merely pointing out your ignorance.

“Likely”

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Sure didn’t. I’m merely pointing out your ignorance.

“Likely”
    Aaaaaaaannnnnd..... there it is.

More bitchy, emotional over reaction.

Grow a pair of balls, girlie.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

FWIU, the maximum he can be sentenced to for 2nd degree involuntary murder or 3rd degree murder, the two most serious charges against him, is 15 years.

Given Minnesota's sentencing guidelines, he would only have to serve 2/3 of that with the remaining 1/3 on parole.

Subtract the year he's spent in custody and various good behavior and gain time deductions, and he's probably looking at 8 years or so tops.

And I disagree that he's a flight risk.

He's obviously rational enough to understand that getting the sentence behind him would be the only way he'll ever come close to rebuilding what might be left of his life.

But we all know the bitter need for harsh vengeance the self righteous sjw crowd demands for anyone who doesn't toe the PC line for the protected classes.
    I'm not a fucking lawyer. The Judge and Jury will decide Chauvin's fate. However, if he's convicted as a murderer, I doubt he'll be sent to a country club prison where he can walk out the front door.

Dude, this should be about justice, not your politics or anyone's desires for vengeance. If convicted of the charges, Chauvin is a murderer. He took a man's life. I believe murderer's should do hard time, not loiter in a country club reading magazines.

Do you think Floyd's life is free for the taking because he's African-American? A drug user? Not a white supremacist, insurrectionist Trump supporter?

The defense will have its own expert witnesses.

And they get to go after the prosecution, so their witness' testimony will be fresher in the jury's minds.
    I'm looking forward to it.

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I'm not a fucking lawyer. The Judge and Jury will decide Chauvin's fate. However, if he's convicted as a murderer, I doubt he'll be sent to a country club prison where he can walk out the front door.
    Whatever.

But the charges are what they are and so are the established sentencing guidelines for those charges.

15 years tops for the two mist serious charges with only 2/3 required to be served.

Time off for good behavior, time served etc. further reducing the setence.

Also, "minimum security" does not necessarily mean "country club".

They have rules that are strictly enforced and walking out unauthorized would get him sent to a higher security facility and add to his sentence.

I seriously doubt Chauvin is aa high escape risk.

But I also understand how sjw's need to demonize the guy to make them feel better about themselves.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Aaaaaaaannnnnd..... there it is.

More bitchy, emotional over reaction.

Grow a pair of balls, girlie.

Just as those 500,000+ COVID victims would have “likely” died of something else in the few weeks after they contracted the virus, Floyd would have “likely” died of something else in the 9.5 minutes after being subdued.

Just fucking priceless!

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post

Just as those 500,000+ COVID victims would have “likely” died of something else in the few weeks after they contracted the virus, Floyd would have “likely” died of something else in the 9.5 minutes after being subdued.

Just fucking priceless!
    Totally idiotic and invalid conflation of two non-similar cases.

Typical bullshit tactic of those who have no legitimate argument to make.

You never fail to demonstrate what a simpleton you are.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Whatever.

But the charges are what they are and so are the established sentencing guidelines for those charges.

15 years tops for the two mist serious charges with only 2/3 required to be served.

Time off for good behavior, time served etc. further reducing the setence.

Also, "minimum security" does not necessarily mean "country club".

They have rules that are strictly enforced and walking out unauthorized would get him sent to a higher security facility and add to his sentence.

I seriously doubt Chauvin is aa high escape risk.

But I also understand how sjw's need to demonize the guy to make them feel better about themselves.
    Agreed on the guidelines. My comment was directed toward your desire to see Chauvin sent to a country club minimum security prison. Not even Madoff got that and he didn't murder anyone.

This isn't an "accident". That's Chauvin's major problem and why he'll most likely be doing some serious hard time.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Agreed on the guidelines. My comment was directed toward your desire to see Chauvin sent to a country club minimum security prison. Not even Madoff got that and he didn't murder anyone.
    Chauvin was a cop who risked his life and served the public for many years.

He does not deserve to be thrown to be thrown to the wolves.

Whichever way the trial ends, the real cause of Floyd's death will always be in question.

Contrary to what the knee-jerk reactionary, self-righteous, social crusaders crusaders think, he is not a criminal by the non-technical, standard definition of the word.
    C'MON MAN!!!!

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Totally idiotic and invalid conflation of two non-similar cases.

Typical bullshit tactic of those who have no legitimate argument to make.

You never fail to demonstrate what a simpleton you are.

“Likely”

Just fucking priceless!

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,544 Times in 9,995 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,099 Times in 1,011 Posts

DMX Dead at Age 50

In a statement provided to the hip hop news outlet XXL Magazine, the rapper’s team confirmed news of the passing — after suffering a heart attack from a drug overdose.

Good thing a white Cop didn't touch him...the Cop would be charged with murder

You know because now black don't die of Heart attacks by OD

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Chauvin was a cop who risked his life and served the public for many years.

He does not deserve to be thrown to be thrown to the wolves.

Whichever way the trial ends, the real cause of Floyd's death will always be in question.

Contrary to what the knee-jerk reactionary, self-righteous, social crusaders crusaders think, he is not a criminal by the non-technical, standard definition of the word.
    18 complaints in 18 years. Two reprimands. Yeah, just a stellar fucking cop. To be admired and emulated by his peers.

Even his own co-workers and the Chief of Police testified against him.

So much honor. So principled. Non-technically speaking, of course.