Thread: We need more Joe Manchins

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 6,872 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,850 Times in 1,713 Posts

Default We need more Joe Manchins

It may be hard to believe, but Washington DC wasn't always the way it is now.

Congressional reps & Senators used to break w/ their party at a pretty healthy clip. There wasn't the enormous pressure there is now to walk in lockstep. A politician's voting record was often a mix of party-line & principle.

That is sorely missing these days. Politicians who break w/ that lockstep for even a minor issue are vilified and marginalized - not just by their party, but by news networks, talk radio, pundits and even voters.

We need more independence. We need more Manchins. We don't elect these men & women to go to Washington and pledge allegiance to their party. We need them to vote their conscience and balance that with representing their constituents. Congress needs to work for the good of all the people.

Manchin makes me nostalgic about the old days. The way he conducts himself is completely separate from ego or some kind of power play. He seeks consensus and a greater good. Kudos.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BartenderElite For This Post:

Sailor (04-08-2021), Sirthinksalot (04-08-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderElite View Post

Congressional reps & Senators used to break w/ their party at a pretty healthy clip. There wasn't the enormous pressure there is now to walk in lockstep. A politician's voting record was often a mix of party-line & principle.

That is sorely missing these days. Politicians who break w/ that lockstep for even a minor issue are vilified and marginalized - not just by their party, but by news networks, talk radio, pundits and even voters.

We need more independence. We need more Manchins. We don't elect these men & women to go to Washington and pledge allegiance to their party. We need them to vote their conscience and balance that with representing their constituents. Congress needs to work for the good of all the people.

Manchin makes me nostalgic about the old days. The way he conducts himself is completely separate from ego or some kind of power play. He seeks consensus and a greater good. Kudos.
    Well said Bartender.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,109 Times in 12,635 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,444 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries

Are you beginning to see that the Rebellion against the Failed Elite Class has truth on our side?
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Today’s crop of Democrats would never nominate him for president lol.

Before you go too far praising Manchin keep in mind he’s Senator of a Red State full of Trump supporters. He doesn’t tilt far left—because he can’t. He’s probably on thin ice with many WV voters as it is. Instead of acting on high minded principles it’s just as likely he’s trying to stay in office and move up the ladder in his own party.

I actually voted for him last time because I didn’t like the republican. But, that was before I knew what the next few years would bring. I’d very much like to have a do-over.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth Omar For This Post:

Callinectes (04-08-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,239 Times in 13,964 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,053 Times in 2,848 Posts

Understand your argument on Manchin, same might be said for Collins, however, Manchin is from a ruby red State, so he has to walk a fine line

I might agree with you, however, it is a naive view, one Manchin should know isn’t real. One week after the GOP next takes the Senate Mitch is going to immediately get rid of the filibuster. As he showed in denying Garland even a hearing, he isn’t concerned at all about precedent or tradition. He’ll say it is the “Schumer rule,” or something similar

As I said, Manchin’s view is naive thinking that compromise is attainable in today’s Senate, and he knows it seeing Mitch put off Obama’s agenda as long as he could supposedly asking for compromise

8. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Althea (04-08-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Ds have been in lock-step as long as I can remember. Then there's the dependable three or 4 Rs who lock-step side with the Ds on any legislation that limits FedCo power.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Fuck Manchin. He needs to get with the Program!

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Understand your argument on Manchin, same might be said for Collins, however, Manchin is from a ruby red State, so he has to walk a fine line

I might agree with you, however, it is a naive view, one Manchin should know isn’t real. One week after the GOP next takes the Senate Mitch is going to immediately get rid of the filibuster. As he showed in denying Garland even a hearing, he isn’t concerned at all about precedent or tradition. He’ll say it is the “Schumer rule,” or something similar

As I said, Manchin’s view is naive thinking that compromise is attainable in today’s Senate, and he knows it seeing Mitch put off Obama’s agenda as long as he could supposedly asking for compromise
    Even if the president is a Democrat? That's a pretty far fetched prediction.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,986 Times in 2,762 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 178 Times in 173 Posts

I'll drink to that.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,033 Times in 14,528 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Manchin isn't a Democrat. His calls for bi partisan legislation are empty rhetoric. He knows that no Republicans will reach across the aisle.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.