Thread: America is losing its religion — and the effects will be long-lasting

1. #406 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I didn't say you lied in your initial post......that was just ignorance......however you have lied repeatedly about that post...likely because you were too embarrassed to admit how stupid your statement was....
    How jesusy of you

2. #407 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

nancydancing does not equal impeachment.....
    So it wasnt an impeachment

Are you spitting on Jesus now

3. #408 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,280 Times in 27,091 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I didn't say you lied in your initial post......that was just ignorance......however you have lied repeatedly about that post...likely because you were too embarrassed to admit how stupid your statement was....
    So you very belatedly admit my initial post was credible, even though you jumped in the thread to complain about it -- and are now reduced to making nebulous claims that I lied elsewhere in the thread.

You are a joke.

The only blatant liar here is you - you made a bet pledging to permanently leave the forum if Trump were impeached, and then you willfully and blatantly welched on that pledge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-14-2021)

5. #409 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    I'm not seeing the causal relationship. Catholics had a monopoly on religion. Salvation only came through them. The few Bibles that existed were in Latin. Peasants could barely read much less speak latin so the Priests dictated what the Lord wanted. Gutenberg starts printing Bibles in 1454. Columbus bumps into the Americas on the way to India in 1492. The same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins their reign of terror in the name of Catholicism. Martin Luther kicks off the Reformation in 1517. The Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock in 1620. Some other things happened in between.

I think there were a lot of factors coming together synergistically and nothing that can be identified as "the cause". Because of A we had B so now we have C. It's a lot more complicated than that. It also proves why manipulating large populations is problematic. Too many variables.
    Yes, hardly anyone was literate in late Antiquity and the Middle Ages, so you did not have knuckleheads pulling single quotes out of the Bible in an attempt to make a theological point.

Only scholars and theologians were literate.

The early Church fathers, aka Origen of Alexandria, Augustine of Hippo interpreted the bible metaphorically. They understood Genesis was clearly allegorical.

That became part of the Catholic tradition - their doctrine was based on ecclestatical authority, tradition, metaphorical interpretations of the bible.

Martin Luther's Protestantism elevated scripture to the only primary authority, and the Protestant tradition carried forth the doctrine of scriptural primacy, biblical literalism, biblical inerrancy. That is precisely what distinguished them from the Catholic and Eastern tradition. And my take is that is why American bible thumpers evolved into such biblical literalists.

Now that is what I learned in broad outline from religious scholars, and there is lot of detail, context, and texture as you noted.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-14-2021)

7. #410 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,595 Times in 51,906 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,506 Times in 2,463 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    false accusation is not very Christian.

I do not lie (present tense). I did not imply I have never lied (past tense) - as a kid, teenager, young man I definitely told some lies.

You seemingly confess that you sin, and willfully continue to sin uncontrollably, because God is just going to forgive you if you ask for absolution.

I choose a different path - a project of moral improvement, which includes the self discipline to reject lying.

The fact that eschewing intentional lying is unfathomable to you highlights that you are a phony Christian poseur.

Why do you not explain to me what possible reason or benefit there is in lying to anonymous message board posters I do not know and will never meet?
    do you really believe anyone can keep themselves from sinning?.....
    That's not what Cypress wrote, but it befits a minion of Satan to falsely claim he did.

Obviously no one can be perfect, but you, Matt/Wolverine and others don't even try to avoid sin. Worse, you intentionally sin believing all you have to do is ask forgiveness so you can sin even more. God is certainly smart enough to see through such a cheap ploy.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-14-2021)

9. #411 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yes, hardly anyone was literate in late Antiquity and the Middle Ages, so you did not have knuckleheads pulling single quotes out of the Bible in an attempt to make a theological point.

Only scholars and theologians were literate.

The early Church fathers, aka Origen of Alexandria, Augustine of Hippo interpreted the bible metaphorically. They understood Genesis was clearly allegorical.

That became part of the Catholic tradition - their doctrine was based on ecclestatical authority, tradition, metaphorical interpretations of the bible.

Martin Luther's Protestantism elevated scripture to the only primary authority, and the Protestant tradition carried forth the doctrine of scriptural primacy, biblical literalism, biblical inerrancy. That is precisely what distinguished them from the Catholic and Eastern tradition. And my take is that is why American bible thumpers evolved into such biblical literalists.

Now that is what I learned in broad outline from religious scholars, and there is lot of detail, context, and texture as you noted.
    Not all Protestants take the Bible literally. At least not the OT.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (04-14-2021)

11. #412 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not all Protestants take the Bible literally. At least not the OT.
    I agree, there is a lot of variation in world Protestantism. At best, we can only articulate general distinctions between Protestantism, Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy.

I went to Quaker meetings for a while, and while I believe they are technically Protestant, they seem to have virtually nothing in common with the fundamentalist rightwing evangelicals.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (04-14-2021), Iolo/Penderyn (04-15-2021)

13. #413 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    So it wasnt an impeachment

Are you spitting on Jesus now
    of course not.....I only spit on lib'ruls.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

14. #414 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you very belatedly admit my initial post was credible
    ????.....in what dictionary does "ignorance" equal "credible".........you better stick to harassing women.....you haven't got the skills to engage in arguments....

as for my bet, even Nancy said it wasn't a real impeachment........she said a real impeachment would have to be bipartisan....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

15. #415 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's not what Cypress wrote, but it befits a minion of Satan to falsely claim he did.

Obviously no one can be perfect, but you, Matt/Wolverine and others don't even try to avoid sin. Worse, you intentionally sin believing all you have to do is ask forgiveness so you can sin even more. God is certainly smart enough to see through such a cheap ploy.
    if you actually believe they do that you are an idiot....but then, we knew that before....

16. #416 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

????.....in what dictionary does "ignorance" equal "credible".........you better stick to harassing women.......
    Only an amoral phony Christian has to stoop to lying and slandering me.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...70#post2181470
    "Are you repeating gossip? It’s just as I thought, because through my investigation, I have questioned women still posting here and those no longer posting and I can’t find one woman who claims they were harassed (by Cypress)."

17. #417 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

if you actually believe they do that you are an idiot....but then, we knew that before....
    We? Are you feeling lonely again, Faux Profit? The fact remains a person who never tries to be a Christian except to say "Forgive me, Jesus" just before sinning again isn't a Christian except in name only.

18. #418 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Only an amoral phony Christian has to stoop to lying and slandering me.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...70#post2181470
    "Are you repeating gossip? It’s just as I thought, because through my investigation, I have questioned women still posting here and those no longer posting and I can’t find one woman who claims they were harassed (by Cypress)."
    sorry, but I see no reason to believe you are more credible than Grind.....to be honest, have seen nothing to lead me to believe you are credible at all......

19. #419 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So you very belatedly admit my initial post was credible
    by the way, remember than silly claim you made about never lying?......

20. #420 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

sorry, but I see no reason to believe you are more credible than Grind.....to be honest, have seen nothing to lead me to believe you are credible at all......
    That quote isn't from me. It is from a female mod who has spoken to current and past females and not one single female poster ever has ever heard of me harassing or stalking and females. Grind is a resentful INCEL who was repeating gossip and guesswork.

For a dude you losers have claimed is a dangerous sexual predator and sexual harasser, it is extraordinarily odd that my so called victims did not warn any other females on the board.