Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yield-chasing investors are snapping up single-family homes, driving up prices

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,079 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

An underregulated private sector will engage in activities that are not in the best interest of the community.

This is what the right calls "freedom."
    If they wish to live in a civilized society, however, they can simply not be afforded that level of freedom.
    If they further resist, more Draconian restrictions on their freedom is what comes next.
    Prison comes to mind.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

you can blow me for all that misinformation........at least insofar as it does not apply to what i'm experiencing here in DFW area. so many californians are moving her that the sellers market has driven prices higher than most properties are actually worth. Overpopulation here has little to do with the pandemic and/or affecting construction..........your sources are crap
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,429 Times in 53,293 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    you can blow me for all that misinformation........at least insofar as it does not apply to what i'm experiencing here in DFW area. so many californians are moving her that the sellers market has driven prices higher than most properties are actually worth. Overpopulation here has little to do with the pandemic and/or affecting construction..........your sources are crap
    In other words, you lost the argument so now you'll go after the sources. In my original response to the OP I listed low inventory/high demand as one reason for soaring real estate prices. Thanks for confirming that, even though you said it wasn't true earlier. lol
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    In other words, you lost the argument so now you'll go after the sources. In my original response to the OP I listed low inventory/high demand as one reason for soaring real estate prices. Thanks for confirming that, even though you said it wasn't true earlier. lol
    in your post you said it was due to the pandemic and halted construction..........that wasn't the case. So I did not lose the argument, you posted bullshit info
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    Actually, rents are going up because government is forcing landlords to make up for lost revenue from deadbeat renters they can't evict and who won't pay their rent by getting it from those that are paying their rent. Landlords have bills to pay too but aren't able to tell their bill collectors to fuck off, like their renters are, because the government is making it illegal to try and collect the payments due.
    It's a problem.

Basically, middle class renters will be forced to pay more not only because their neighbors were forced out of work by the Nazicrat CovidScam (or they just decided that if they didn't have to pay rent they wouldn't), but also because of Nazicrat policies designed to protect these neighbors.

It's a shitstorm waiting to happen, and all courtesy of the Nazicrats.
    DemoKKKrats: The dangerous fascist psychopaths Orwell warned us about.

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Cinnabar,

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    The USA is a greed filled shit hole which cares nothing for people and society as a whole.
    It does not portend a happy ending.

Kind of like musical chairs, but the reverse of it. As long as you get out before the crash, you're fine. But if you can't get out in time, and are forced to stay in and able to survive through the recession, real estate always comes back.

So what happens to a portfolio of properties when the holder goes bust? They get dumped cheap. That's a good time to buy, if you can.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I think it's just getting started. Real Estate holds it's value, Cash Money, not so much.
    This depends entirely upon where you live and it's not a universal fact.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

8. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,115 Times in 12,640 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,445 Times in 1,389 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    TRUE.
    I choose my own words like the Americans of olden times........before this dystopia arrived.

DARK AGES SUCK!

9. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    In that case, keep renting Guille. That would be your Smart Move!

10. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,151 Times in 10,077 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,450 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    TRUE.
    (and you too)

11. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,405 Times in 9,440 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,894 Times in 1,783 Posts
    Blog Entries

Really bad time to buy a house. Prices are ridiculous.

12. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    An underregulated private sector will engage in activities that are not in the best interest of the community.

This is what the right calls "freedom."
    If they wish to live in a civilized society, however, they can simply not be afforded that level of freedom.
    If they further resist, more Draconian restrictions on their freedom is what comes next.
    Prison comes to mind.
    Should we eliminate private property and have the state own all housing to avoid this? Or prevent anyone from owning more than a single property?

13. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Should we eliminate private property and have the state own all housing to avoid this? Or prevent anyone from owning more than a single property?
    Brainstorm as you wish.
    Everything's on the table.

14. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Brainstorm as you wish.
    Everything's on the table.
    You're the one saying these entrepreneurs should be thrown in prison. I was just curious what you had in mind for property rights.

15. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    You're the one saying these entrepreneurs should be thrown in prison. I was just curious what you had in mind for property rights.
    Carefully thought out regulations that will preclude exerting undue influence on property prices would be helpful.
    The level of my personal interest wouldn't suggest participation on my part, but maybe a few congress members--
    I'd suggest Katie Porter, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Jamaal Bowman, and Cori Bush--
    could set up a committee and come up with a plan. They're all among our best and brightest legislators. I'd trust them.