Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42

Thread: this machine kills fascism

  1. #1 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    42,902
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked 4,874 Times in 3,835 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 287 Times in 265 Posts

    Default this machine kills fascism

    The highest virtue is to act without a sense of self
    The highest kindness is to give without a condition
    The highest justice is to see without a preference
    When Tao is lost one must learn the rules of virtue
    When virtue is lost, the rules of kindness
    When kindness is lost, the rules of justice
    When justice is lost, the rules of conduct
    As we find our alignment with the Tao—with the rhythms of the elements within and outside of our bodies—our actions are quite naturally of the highest benefit to all who we contact. At this point, we have gone beyond the need for formal religious or secular moral precepts of any sort. We have become the embodiment of wu wei, the "Action of non-action"; as well as of wu nien, the "Thought of non-thought," and wu hsin, the "Mind of non-mind." We have realized our place within the web of inter-being, within the cosmos, and, knowing our connection to all-that-is, can offer only thoughts, words, and actions that do no harm and that are spontaneously virtuous.

    https://www.learnreligions.com/wu-we...action-3183209
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade polices.

  2. #2 | Top
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    446
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    What is that?


    This is my sons friend. He's not qualified. The guys a recovered user. He sleeps in the basement all day.
    I have to answer for him. He makes more money than me. I'm not here to supervise the supervisor.


    NOW I'M F'N CRAZY!



  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ParachuteAdams For This Post:

    evince (04-10-2021)

  4. #3 | Top
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    34,871
    Thanks
    13,214
    Thanked 9,791 Times in 7,512 Posts
    Groans
    409
    Groaned 2,201 Times in 2,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    But ... Trump is still alive. (?)

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack For This Post:

    guno (04-06-2021), Trumpet (04-06-2021)

  6. #4 | Top
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    6,159
    Thanks
    288
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,498 Posts
    Groans
    0
    Groaned 98 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    But ... Trump is still alive. (?)
    So are you but I'm sure it's not entirely your fault.

  7. #5 | Top
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    30,535
    Thanks
    10,131
    Thanked 6,525 Times in 5,308 Posts
    Groans
    418
    Groaned 1,416 Times in 1,360 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    The highest virtue is to act without a sense of self
    The highest kindness is to give without a condition
    The highest justice is to see without a preference
    When Tao is lost one must learn the rules of virtue
    When virtue is lost, the rules of kindness
    When kindness is lost, the rules of justice
    When justice is lost, the rules of conduct
    As we find our alignment with the Tao—with the rhythms of the elements within and outside of our bodies—our actions are quite naturally of the highest benefit to all who we contact. At this point, we have gone beyond the need for formal religious or secular moral precepts of any sort. We have become the embodiment of wu wei, the "Action of non-action"; as well as of wu nien, the "Thought of non-thought," and wu hsin, the "Mind of non-mind." We have realized our place within the web of inter-being, within the cosmos, and, knowing our connection to all-that-is, can offer only thoughts, words, and actions that do no harm and that are spontaneously virtuous.

    https://www.learnreligions.com/wu-we...action-3183209
    Why are you telling us this? Go and tell the GOP that.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AProudLefty For This Post:

    evince (04-10-2021), no worries (04-09-2021)

  9. #6 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    11,664
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,597 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    this machine kills fascism
    It was first said by Woody Guthrie, or rather he said, "This machine kills Fascists." He put that on his guitar, and wrote about it in the Communist Party's Daily Worker.

    I like Guthrie a lot, but I am saddened by his refusal to admit the extreme excesses of Stalin. Stalin committed brutal genocide, which people like Pete Seeger admitted.

    I am not as upset about Guthrie's support of communism in the 1930's. It made sense to a lot of people at the time. He technically never was a communist, having been turned down by the Communist Party... Let that sink in for a minute, the guy who wrote "This Land is Your Land" applied to be a member of the Communist Party, and they said no to him.

    Whatever his political views, Guthrie was a great musician, and really wanted what is best for humanity.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

    AssHatZombie (04-09-2021), evince (04-10-2021), Geeko Sportivo (04-15-2021)

  11. #7 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    17,444
    Thanks
    3,512
    Thanked 5,230 Times in 4,161 Posts
    Groans
    602
    Groaned 215 Times in 203 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It was first said by Woody Guthrie, or rather he said, "This machine kills Fascists." He put that on his guitar, and wrote about it in the Communist Party's Daily Worker.

    I like Guthrie a lot, but I am saddened by his refusal to admit the extreme excesses of Stalin. Stalin committed brutal genocide, which people like Pete Seeger admitted.

    I am not as upset about Guthrie's support of communism in the 1930's. It made sense to a lot of people at the time. He technically never was a communist, having been turned down by the Communist Party... Let that sink in for a minute, the guy who wrote "This Land is Your Land" applied to be a member of the Communist Party, and they said no to him.

    Whatever his political views, Guthrie was a great musician, and really wanted what is best for humanity.
    You could just get to the point. But no.
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  12. #8 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    11,664
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,597 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    You could just get to the point. But no.
    "This machine kills Fascists" is a communist slogan.

  13. #9 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    17,444
    Thanks
    3,512
    Thanked 5,230 Times in 4,161 Posts
    Groans
    602
    Groaned 215 Times in 203 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    "This machine kills Fascists" is a communist slogan.
    No kidding. There was more to it though. What was that shit about Guthrie?

    Why do you fuckwits always try to make shit more complicated than it needs to be?
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  14. #10 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    11,664
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,597 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    What was that shit about Guthrie?
    Guthrie wrote the slogan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Why do you fuckwits always try to make shit more complicated than it needs to be?
    You find a few sentences in a forum post complicated? Life only gets more complicated from there.

  15. #11 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    17,444
    Thanks
    3,512
    Thanked 5,230 Times in 4,161 Posts
    Groans
    602
    Groaned 215 Times in 203 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Guthrie wrote the slogan.



    You find a few sentences in a forum post complicated? Life only gets more complicated from there.
    No, I think you're an idiot.
    Why Trump? Because Fuck You that's why.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Guille For This Post:

    Into the Night (04-09-2021)

  17. #12 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    42,902
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked 4,874 Times in 3,835 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 287 Times in 265 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It was first said by Woody Guthrie, or rather he said, "This machine kills Fascists." He put that on his guitar, and wrote about it in the Communist Party's Daily Worker.

    I like Guthrie a lot, but I am saddened by his refusal to admit the extreme excesses of Stalin. Stalin committed brutal genocide, which people like Pete Seeger admitted.

    I am not as upset about Guthrie's support of communism in the 1930's. It made sense to a lot of people at the time. He technically never was a communist, having been turned down by the Communist Party... Let that sink in for a minute, the guy who wrote "This Land is Your Land" applied to be a member of the Communist Party, and they said no to him.

    Whatever his political views, Guthrie was a great musician, and really wanted what is best for humanity.
    I love the guy. a real hero.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade polices.

  18. #13 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    11,664
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,597 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    I love the guy. a real hero.
    Guthrie came from a humble background, and created great poetry/music. He never forgot where he came from. He made mistakes with who he supported, but always did everything for the right reasons.

    I agree, I love Woody Guthrie too.

    "Old Man Trump" is a song with lyrics written by American folk singer-songwriter Woody Guthrie. The song describes the racist housing practices and discriminatory rental policies of his landlord, Fred Trump. The lyrics were written in 1954 but it was never recorded by Guthrie. In January 2016, Will Kaufman, a Guthrie scholar and professor of American literature and culture at the University of Central Lancashire, unearthed the handwritten lyrics while conducting research at the Woody Guthrie Archives in Tulsa, Oklahoma.[1]

    In partnership with the Guthrie archives and the Guthrie family, Woody's words have been put to music by California rock band U.S. Elevator, fronted by Johnny Irion, who is married to Sarah Lee Guthrie, Woody's granddaughter.[2] "Old Man Trump" has also been recorded by riot folk singer Ryan Harvey with Ani DiFranco and guitarist Tom Morello, as well as by independent artist/musician Chip Godwin.[3]

    Background
    In December 1950, Woody Guthrie signed a lease at the Beach Haven apartment complex owned and operated by Fred Trump in Gravesend, Brooklyn. There are several handwritten drafts of the lyrics with titles such as "Beach Haven Race Hate" and "Beach Haven Ain't My Home". In its lyrics, Guthrie expresses his dissatisfaction with Trump and the "color line" he had drawn in his Brooklyn neighborhood:[4][5]

    I suppose
    Old Man Trump knows
    Just how much
    Racial Hate
    He stirred up
    In the bloodpot of human hearts
    When he drawed
    That color line
    Here at his Beach Haven family project[6]

    The Federal Housing Administration, which fronted the bill for some of Trump's housing projects, had a set of guidelines for avoiding integration which Trump enthusiastically embraced.[7]

    "He thought that Fred Trump was one who stirs up racial hate, and implicitly profits from it," the scholar, Will Kaufman, said. In Guthrie's notebooks he wrote about wanting to put an end to the segregation with "a face of every bright color laffing and joshing in these old darkly weeperish empty shadowed windows."[1]

    I welcome you here to live. I welcome you and your man both here to Beach Haven to love in any ways you please and to have some kind of a decent place to get pregnant in and to have your kids raised up in. I'm yelling out my own welcome to you.[1]

    An unreleased variant of Guthrie's "Ain't Got No Home" similarly protests Fred Trump's segregation at Beach Haven.[8]

  19. #14 | Top
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    42,902
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked 4,874 Times in 3,835 Posts
    Groans
    12
    Groaned 287 Times in 265 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Guthrie came from a humble background, and created great poetry/music. He never forgot where he came from. He made mistakes with who he supported, but always did everything for the right reasons.

    I agree, I love Woody Guthrie too.
    he probably wouldn't see an amazon sponsored populism as legitimate.
    Morality is a set of attitudes and behaviors which facilitate voluntary, cooperative and mutually beneficial relationships. --AssHatZombie

    Obamagate is Operation Crossfire Hurricane

    internationalist fascism: the belief that the interests of multinational corporations should be the sole focus of all national trade polices.

  20. #15 | Top
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    11,664
    Thanks
    477
    Thanked 4,356 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Groans
    29
    Groaned 1,597 Times in 1,470 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AssHatZombie View Post
    he probably wouldn't see an amazon sponsored populism as legitimate.
    Maybe I am just projecting, but it almost seems like Guthrie would have been a proponent of open source. Amazon is a sponsor of open source.

    Guthrie's copyright statement in the 1930's almost sounds like a proto-open source statement, "This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright #154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin' it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do."

Similar Threads

  1. Hijacker kills, and kills, and kills again
    By Big Money in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2013, 05:59 PM
  2. Should STY get a machine gun?
    By Canceled.LTroll.28 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
  3. First Machine President!
    By Damocles in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 11:36 AM
  4. Right Wing Machine
    By Cancel7 in forum General Politics Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
  5. The GOP Outrage Machine
    By Cancel7 in forum Current Events Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-18-2007, 07:01 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •