Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trump campaign stealing money from his donors' bank accounts.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,174 Times in 5,911 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 558 Posts

Default Trump campaign stealing money from his donors' bank accounts.

When Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election, he didn’t stop asking his supporters for money. The emails kept coming in. But by the end of his four years in office, according to a new report in The New York Times, they had begun to look an awful lot like a scam.
    By June 2020, the Trump campaign had begun using dark patterns, computer interfaces designed to trick users, to automatically sign up campaign contributors to donate far more money than they had intended — recurring monthly donations, recurring weekly donations, even a one-time surprise “money bomb” — by pre-checking the checkboxes for each option, burying the fine print under paragraphs of bold text, and forcing his supporters to wade through it all and opt out if they wanted to make a simple donation.
    Here’s how bad it got as of October, according to the NYT:
    One Kansas City supporter who donated $500 saw his account tapped for $3,000 that month. Another realized their $990 donation had become $8,000. Banks and a major credit card company told the NYT that processing fraud claims for WinRed, the conservative fundraising site processing these payments, had started to become a significant percentage of their daily workload. A Trump spokeperson admitted at least $19.7 million worth of its transactions had been disputed. And those are just from people who bothered to dispute the charges.
    Republican Congressman Ken Buck:
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (04-09-2021), gemini104104 (04-11-2021), Guno צְבִי (04-09-2021), signalmankenneth (04-10-2021), ThatOwlWoman (04-09-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

April 3, 2021 at 1:20 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard

New York Times: “Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors, for every week until the election. Contributors had to wade through a fine-print disclaimer and manually uncheck a box to opt out.”

“As the election neared, the Trump team made that disclaimer increasingly opaque, an investigation by The New York Times showed. It introduced a second prechecked box, known internally as a ‘money bomb,’ that doubled a person’s contribution. Eventually its solicitations featured lines of text in bold and capital letters that overwhelmed the opt-out language.”

“The tactic ensnared scores of unsuspecting Trump loyalists — retirees, military veterans, nurses and even experienced political operatives. Soon, banks and credit card companies were inundated with fraud complaints from the president’s own supporters about donations they had not intended to make, sometimes for thousands of dollars.”
    “We’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say,”

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (04-09-2021), Guno צְבִי (04-09-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,570 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

It is OK. Trump did it. He needs the money. Of course, the money given to Trump politically is filtered through Trump's fingers.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    It is OK. Trump did it. He needs the money. Of course, the money given to Trump politically is filtered through Trump's fingers.
    Can the FEC go after him and prosecute? Seems like they have solid evidence.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (04-09-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,593 Times in 4,192 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,203 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Capitalist View Post
    The POS should be held accountable for the negligent death of over a hundred thousand Americans above all! But I have lost faith in the so-called justice system. What is being done to prevent the Trump crime syndicate from rising from the obvious laying-low strategy that is taking place now? Have you seen any accountability thus far?
    Last edited by Cinnabar; 04-04-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    BLUEXIT
    A Modest Proposal For Separating Blue States From Red

Dear Red-State Trump Voter,
    Let’s face it, guys: We’re done.

It is a tragedy that so much of the work that so many men and women toiled at for so long to make this a better country, and a better world, has been thrown away, leaving us all in such needless peril.

This is why our separation in all but name is necessary.

https://newrepublic.com/article/1409...mp-red-america

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinnabar For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-09-2021), Joe Capitalist (04-05-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,570 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

They have evidence that Trumpys used subterfuge to bilk money for Trump but was Trump directly involved? He profited off it, but he will claim ignorance? For him, ignorance is a given.

11. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    They have evidence that Trumpys used subterfuge to bilk money for Trump but was Trump directly involved? He profited off it, but he will claim ignorance? For him, ignorance is a given.
    Word is Trump has a better chance of being in jail than being in the White House in 2024.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

13. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,030 Times in 8,285 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Trump campaign stealing money from his donors' bank accounts.
    So to sum things up:
    1) trump stole money from supporters' bank accounts.
    2) trump used this money as interest free, illegal loans.
    3) trump lied about the results of the election to get donations to pay back the loans.

How is trump not in prison?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walt For This Post:

15. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    So to sum things up:
    3) trump lied about the results of the election to get donations to pay back the loans.

Patience, my son. He will be very soon. Very soon.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

evince (04-09-2021), Walt (04-09-2021)

17. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,875 Times in 8,272 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 590 Posts
    Blog Entries

When Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election, he didn’t stop asking his supporters for money. The emails kept coming in. But by the end of his four years in office, according to a new report in The New York Times, they had begun to look an awful lot like a scam.
    By June 2020, the Trump campaign had begun using dark patterns, computer interfaces designed to trick users, to automatically sign up campaign contributors to donate far more money than they had intended — recurring monthly donations, recurring weekly donations, even a one-time surprise “money bomb” — by pre-checking the checkboxes for each option, burying the fine print under paragraphs of bold text, and forcing his supporters to wade through it all and opt out if they wanted to make a simple donation.
    Here’s how bad it got as of October, according to the NYT:
    One Kansas City supporter who donated $500 saw his account tapped for $3,000 that month. Another realized their $990 donation had become $8,000. Banks and a major credit card company told the NYT that processing fraud claims for WinRed, the conservative fundraising site processing these payments, had started to become a significant percentage of their daily workload. A Trump spokeperson admitted at least $19.7 million worth of its transactions had been disputed. And those are just from people who bothered to dispute the charges.
    How can you stand waking up every single morning with trump's cock in your mouth?

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Today, 06:35 AM
    Yagina
    Verified Moron
    This message is hidden because Yagina is on your ignore list.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,291 Times in 27,097 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

the Trump campaign had begun using dark patterns, computer interfaces designed to trick users, to automatically sign up campaign contributors to donate far more money than they had intended — recurring monthly donations, recurring weekly donations, even a one-time surprise “money bomb” — by pre-checking the checkboxes for each option, burying the fine print under paragraphs of bold text, and forcing his supporters to wade through it all and opt out if they wanted to make a simple donation.
    Trump is a sleazebag.

And his fan boys apparently love him for it.

20. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,779 Times in 33,638 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Trump is a sleazebag.

And his fan boys apparently love him for it.
    They are also using intimidation, calling them “Defectors” if they only make a one time donation. Typical Trump tactics.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-09-2021), ThatOwlWoman (04-09-2021)

22. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,291 Times in 27,097 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    They are also using intimidation, calling them “Defectors” if they only make a one time donation. Typical Trump tactics.
    yikes

It says a lot about a political party that a sleazy, amoral con man became their most beloved politician of the 21st century.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-09-2021), Phantasmal (04-09-2021)

24. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,541 Times in 52,753 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    So to sum things up:

Because his fellow kleptocrats write the rules.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (04-09-2021), Walt (04-09-2021)