Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I always suspected pinheads were mentally ill...

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 940 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,063 Times in 960 Posts

Default I always suspected pinheads were mentally ill...

http://www.gallup.com/poll/102943/Re...an-Others.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats or independents to rate their mental health as excellent, according to data from the last four November Gallup Health and Healthcare polls. Fifty-eight percent of Republicans report having excellent mental health, compared to 43% of independents and 38% of Democrats. This relationship between party identification and reports of excellent mental health persists even within categories of income, age, gender, church attendance, and education.

================================================== ====

Wow.... 38% ...less than 4 out of 10!! ...Yeah, that's about right!

2. #2 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    http://www.gallup.com/poll/102943/Re...an-Others.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Republicans are significantly more likely than Democrats or independents to rate their mental health as excellent, according to data from the last four November Gallup Health and Healthcare polls. Fifty-eight percent of Republicans report having excellent mental health, compared to 43% of independents and 38% of Democrats. This relationship between party identification and reports of excellent mental health persists even within categories of income, age, gender, church attendance, and education.

================================================== ====

Wow.... 38% ...less than 4 out of 10!! ...Yeah, that's about right!
    If this were a study about actual mental health, you might have a valid point.

But this is about what people say about their own mental health. As a psychologist, you should be able to see the difference.

This is more about self awareness than about mental health.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

What? "As a psychologist?" What??

Dixie is a psychologist? Who are his patients?

No, not really?

4. #4 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darla View Post
    What? "As a psychologist?" What??

Dixie is a psychologist? Who are his patients?

No, not really?
    I can't say that he is a practicing psychologist. But he claims he graduated from the Univ of Alabama with a degree in psychology.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Upon further study it was realized that the Republican tendency to rate themselfs as happy and sane were attributed to their inability to fathom reality, their denile of factual proof for anything that they disagreed with, and reluctance to accept mental help when needed.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

From a purely psychological standpoint, I would venture to say, people who believe they are in excellent mental health are probably in better shape than people who believe they are not. If this were an actual study of actual mental health, it is likely that even more of a discrepancy would be determined. Those who suffer mental health problems, often are reluctant to admit it, while those in excellent mental health are somewhat modest about it.

...And yes Duhla, 1981 graduate, University of Alabama, Psychology major, with a minor in Business Administration. Unless you count my profound works here, no, I am not a "practicing" psychologist.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Wow , thats a good thing Dixie.

Now the people who know their lives need more examination are often the ones who plan on tackling the problems in their lives. I have know lots of people who thought they were just perfect and everything was fine and then saw their world crumble because they could not see the flaws they posessed which led to their lives crumbling.

Kinda like following Bush off a cliff while proclaiming everyone who didnt follow were all messed up.

8. #8 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

From a purely psychological standpoint, I would venture to say, people who believe they are in excellent mental health are probably in better shape than people who believe they are not. If this were an actual study of actual mental health, it is likely that even more of a discrepancy would be determined. Those who suffer mental health problems, often are reluctant to admit it, while those in excellent mental health are somewhat modest about it.

...And yes Duhla, 1981 graduate, University of Alabama, Psychology major, with a minor in Business Administration. Unless you count my profound works here, no, I am not a "practicing" psychologist.
    So, if a person claims to have excellent mental health, you think they probably have better mental health than people who do not make this claim?

I always heard that wondering if you were crazy was an indication that you weren't.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Self-reporting isn't a great method of determining metnal illness, but at least Democrats are honest about themselves. The true rate of mental illness for Republicans is 100%, because conservatism is a mental illness, while only about 30% of Democrats are conservative. But they don't like to hear common sense.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Wow , thats a good thing Dixie.

Now the people who know their lives need more examination are often the ones who plan on tackling the problems in their lives. I have know lots of people who thought they were just perfect and everything was fine and then saw their world crumble because they could not see the flaws they posessed which led to their lives crumbling.

Kinda like following Bush off a cliff while proclaiming everyone who didnt follow were all messed up.
    ..that explains the 38% of Democrats who think they are in excellent mental health.

11. #11 | Top
    Cancel3 Guest

..that explains the 38% of Democrats who think they are in excellent mental health.

Dixie, even you cannot claim that the answers on a poll about what people think of their own mental health is a valid diagnosis of actual mental health.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    So, if a person claims to have excellent mental health, you think they probably have better mental health than people who do not make this claim?

I always heard that wondering if you were crazy was an indication that you weren't.
    I think that people who believe they are in excellent mental health, are probably more likely to not be mentally unstable, and are likely in pretty good mental shape. I also think that people who know they aren't in excellent mental condition, are likely to be much worse off than they would admit. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, but I think you would find this to be the case across the board.

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Solitary View Post
    Dixie, even you cannot claim that the answers on a poll about what people think of their own mental health is a valid diagnosis of actual mental health.
    O'Contraire! I certainly do believe it is a valid indicator. Look... take out the word "mental" and just ask people if they feel they are "healthy" or not... the same psychological condition applies. Most people who believe themselves to be in excellent health, are probably not in bad health, while those who don't believe they are in excellent health, probably aren't. It's not that much of a stretch to figure out. Personal perception tells a LOT about a person.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think that people who believe they are in excellent mental health, are probably more likely to not be mentally unstable, and are likely in pretty good mental shape. I also think that people who know they aren't in excellent mental condition, are likely to be much worse off than they would admit. Sure, there are going to be exceptions, but I think you would find this to be the case across the board.
    Dixie, master of induction.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think it's indicative at how disturbingly fashionable mental illness has become in our society, with people usually wanting to have a mental explanation as an excuse for how they aren't perfect. For instance, "I'm lonely! Therefore, clearly, I have an anxiety disorder."

Half of America is not mentally ill.