Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Offering Water to Voters now a Crime in Georgia

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,470 Times in 3,394 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,143 Times in 1,048 Posts

Default Offering Water to Voters now a Crime in Georgia

Imagine being arrested for offering water to someone? In Georgia, Republicans have imagined it. What they shudder at imagining is the coming tide against them, and depriving voters of water gives them hope. Don't know if I can imagine anything more pathetic.

https://www.huffpost.com/?ec_carp=47

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-26-2021), evince (03-27-2021), Guno צְבִי (03-26-2021), moon (03-26-2021), no worries (03-27-2021), PoliTalker (03-27-2021), signalmankenneth (03-26-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-26-2021)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,418 Times in 53,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Imagine being arrested for offering water to someone? In Georgia, Republicans have imagined it. What they shudder at imagining is the coming tide against them, and depriving voters of water gives them hope. Don't know if I can imagine anything more pathetic.

https://www.huffpost.com/?ec_carp=47
    What the actual fuck is the rationale for that? Are they afraid the water might contain THC or ETOH and then the voters will forget that they're supposed to vote for only (R)s?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Bourbon (03-26-2021), Doc Dutch (03-27-2021), moon (03-27-2021)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,305 Times in 13,426 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 843 Times in 802 Posts

From the article:

The new measure will impose new identification requirements on those who vote by mail, imperiling the 200,000 voters who don’t have a driver’s license or state ID number. It will also limit the use of drop boxes for absentee ballots, criminalize voting groups from giving those standing in line to vote food and water and shorten the period for runoff races.
    I'd be very interested to see where they came up with that number

In a statement, Rep. Nikema Williams (D), chair of the Georgia Democratic Party, called the measure the “most flagrantly racist, partisan power grab of elections in modern Georgia history.”
    She's an idiot. This bill can be many things, but one it isn't is "racist." Bandying about that word cheapens it to a point of irrelevance.

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    What the actual fuck is the rationale for that? Are they afraid the water might contain THC or ETOH and then the voters will forget that they're supposed to vote for only (R)s?
    I guess the rationale is that if they get thirsty enough they will give up waiting in line after upteen hours, a scarcity of voting venues being another voter suppression tactic in urban districts.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-26-2021), PoliTalker (03-27-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-26-2021)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    From the article:

She's an idiot. This bill can be many things, but one it isn't is "racist." Bandying about that word cheapens it to a point of irrelevance.
    Of course it's racist. The bill isn't aimed at suburban districts where the voting lines are short or non existent. It's aimed at the dense urban districts with heavy black populations where voters stand in line for hours.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-26-2021), domer76 (03-26-2021), Guno צְבִי (03-26-2021), no worries (03-27-2021), PoliTalker (03-27-2021), signalmankenneth (03-26-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-26-2021), Whythink (03-26-2021)

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

From the article:

you are the idiot, ass. if statistics and data and facts clearly show the changes these republicans are making to the election laws hinder blacks and minorities more than others by a clear margin, then they are by definition racist. no, it does not clearly state- black people get less voting boxes in your areas, black people have less places to vote close to them....it just does it without specifying it.

you are so fucking dull and dim you don't think other Jim Crow era voting laws were racist, because it did not specify blacks as their target.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-26-2021), domer76 (03-26-2021), Guno צְבִי (03-26-2021), no worries (03-27-2021), Nomad (03-26-2021), signalmankenneth (03-26-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-26-2021), Whythink (03-26-2021)

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,976 Times in 32,291 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

From the article:

probably the exact same number as fraudulent votes counted in Atlanta.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

13. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

Nomad (03-26-2021)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The article states:

...criminalize voting groups from giving those standing in line to vote food and water and shorten the period for runoff races.
    The likely actual wording and purpose is to prevent partisan political groups and operatives from doing this within X number of feet of a polling station. Here in Arizona there is a 75 foot limit on such activities. That is, partisan voting groups and others with partisan motives cannot approach or interact with a voter once they have crossed that line in approaching a voting station. I would suspect the same thing is being done in Georgia for the same reason--You don't want voters intimidated, brow beat, hassled, harassed, otherwise influenced or suppressed while waiting in line to vote.

It sounds like a cherry picked excuse to me. That is, those opposed to this law aren't being honest about what's in it and using this as an excuse to condemn it.

Political organizations or advocacy groups will use the giveaways or gifts, known as “line warming," to inappropriately influence voters in the crucial final moments before they cast their ballots. Such efforts violate the protections Georgia law has placed on campaigning near a polling location or voting line and the prohibitions on providing rewards to voters that were enacted to stop pay-for-vote schemes.

Georgia law establishes a buffer zone around polling locations to “create an atmosphere of calm and non-interference for voters who are contemplating exercising one of their most basic constitutional rights." Georgia law prohibits individuals from soliciting votes within 150 feet of a polling location or within 25 feet of a voter standing in line to cast their ballot (OCGA § 21-2-414).

The bulletin also reminds elections officials that offering food, drinks, or other items of value to voters waiting in line or those who have already voted is forbidden under Georgia law (OCGA § 21-2-570). Georgia law explicitly states that “Any person who gives or receives, offers to give or receive, or participates in the giving or receiving of money or gifts for the purpose of registering as a voter, voting, or voting for a particular candidate in any primary or election shall be guilty of a felony."
    https://www.ajc.com/politics/politic...LMSPCP6CXAJ5Q/

Took me a bit to find some actual reference to this part of this bill. As I suspected, it does exactly what I stated. The Huffpost article (and others) condemning this portion of the bill are full of shit.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

ExpressLane (03-26-2021), PostmodernProphet (03-26-2021)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    you are the idiot, ass. if statistics and data and facts clearly show the changes these republicans are making to the election laws hinder blacks and minorities more than others by a clear margin, then they are by definition racist. no, it does not clearly state- black people get less voting boxes in your areas, black people have less places to vote close to them....it just does it without specifying it.

you are so fucking dull and dim you don't think other Jim Crow era voting laws were racist, because it did not specify blacks as their target.
    why is it our fault if you think black people aren't smart enough to get voter IDs or driver's licenses?.....if you really cared you would help them do it instead of blocking legislation.....
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

ExpressLane (03-26-2021)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post

Then show where they got that number. Otherwise you are just a ranting fool with nothing useful to add to the conversation.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

ExpressLane (03-26-2021)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Of course it's racist. The bill isn't aimed at suburban districts where the voting lines are short or non existent. It's aimed at the dense urban districts with heavy black populations where voters stand in line for hours.
    Thank you for that bigoted bit of rebuttal. Aside from that, I showed the actual intent of the law in detail now with respect to distributing food, drink, or anything else of value to voters waiting in line to vote. It is common in many states that this is prohibited. The article in the Huff Post is simply using it as an excuse to bash this bill.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to T. A. Gardner For This Post:

ExpressLane (03-26-2021)

22. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

since it only prohibits voting groups from distributing food or water the rationale is obviously the same as every other law that prohibits campaigning within a certain distance of a voting place....I would think even demmycrats would be smart enough t figure that one out......

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

why not just require the demmycrats who run the precincts in blue cities to set up more precincts?......

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

And making it harder to vote by mail/absentee is just going to make those lines even longer.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-26-2021)

26. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Oh, what a beautiful morning!

This message is hidden because PostmodernProphet is on your ignore list.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-26-2021)