Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top House Democrat Jim Clyburn: 'No way we'd let filibuster deny voting rights'

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Default Top House Democrat Jim Clyburn: 'No way we'd let filibuster deny voting rights'

In an interview with the Guardian, the House majority whip calls for a way around the legislative roadblock

One of the most powerful Democrats in Washington has issued a frank warning to members of his own party, saying they need to find a way to pass major voting rights legislation or they will lose control of Congress.

The comments from Jim Clyburn, the House majority whip, came days after the House of Representatives approved a sweeping voting rights bill that would enact some of the most dramatic expansions of the right to vote since the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Even though Democrats also control the US Senate, the bill is unlikely to pass the chamber because of a procedural rule, the filibuster, that requires 60 votes to advance legislation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-voting-rights

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Democrats expect Republicans to find a reason to filibuster it after its expected passage through the House of Representatives and consideration in the Senate. Thus Clyburn is calling for some kind of workaround of the filibuster in the current legislative climate, in which the Senate is split 50-50 and use of the legislative obstructing mechanism is all too common.

“I’m not going to say that you must get rid of the filibuster. I would say you would do well to develop a Manchin-Sinema rule on getting around the filibuster as it relates to race and civil rights,” Clyburn said.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Default More Democrats join the effort to kill the filibuster as a way of saving Biden’s agen

A growing number of Senate Democrats are warming to the idea of eliminating the filibuster as they encounter Republican resistance to President Biden’s legislative agenda, forcing the White House to cut deals on issues like the minimum wage and pandemic relief payments.

Under Senate rules, 60 votes are required to end debate on major bills. Opponents want to do away with that preliminary hurdle, which has been used by both parties as a tactic to stymie contentious legislation, and allow proposals to pass with the simple majority of 51 votes required when all senators are present.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/u...sultPosition=2

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,966 Times in 32,281 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BidenPresident View Post
    In an interview with the Guardian, the House majority whip calls for a way around the legislative roadblock

One of the most powerful Democrats in Washington has issued a frank warning to members of his own party, saying they need to find a way to pass major voting rights legislation or they will lose control of Congress.

The comments from Jim Clyburn, the House majority whip, came days after the House of Representatives approved a sweeping voting rights bill that would enact some of the most dramatic expansions of the right to vote since the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Even though Democrats also control the US Senate, the bill is unlikely to pass the chamber because of a procedural rule, the filibuster, that requires 60 votes to advance legislation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-voting-rights
    why do you call the sabotage of the electoral system, a "civil rights" bill?.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    why do you call the sabotage of the electoral system, a "civil rights" bill?.....
    Where did the story mention the "electoral system?"

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Where did the story mention the "electoral system?"
    good point......for left, voting is unrelated to elections.......it's all about avoiding prosecution for fraud.......
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    good point......for left, voting is unrelated to elections.......it's all about avoiding prosecution for fraud.......
    Thanks for saying nothing, as usual. You don't like Dems....fascinting.

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,183 Times in 13,933 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

A growing number of Senate Democrats are warming to the idea of eliminating the filibuster as they encounter Republican resistance to President Biden’s legislative agenda, forcing the White House to cut deals on issues like the minimum wage and pandemic relief payments.

Under Senate rules, 60 votes are required to end debate on major bills. Opponents want to do away with that preliminary hurdle, which has been used by both parties as a tactic to stymie contentious legislation, and allow proposals to pass with the simple majority of 51 votes required when all senators are present.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/05/u...sultPosition=2
    Bottom line, Manchin is not on board so ending the filibuster is a pipe dream

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Bottom line, Manchin is not on board so ending the filibuster is a pipe dream
    I think getting around the filibuster is what Clyburn is referring to. There are ways to subvert it.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Democrats expect Republicans to find a reason to filibuster it after its expected passage through the House of Representatives and consideration in the Senate. Thus Clyburn is calling for some kind of workaround of the filibuster in the current legislative climate, in which the Senate is split 50-50 and use of the legislative obstructing mechanism is all too common.

“I’m not going to say that you must get rid of the filibuster. I would say you would do well to develop a Manchin-Sinema rule on getting around the filibuster as it relates to race and civil rights,” Clyburn said.
    crazy old man yammering about a process that does not exist

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    crazy old man yammering about a process that does not exist
    Speaking of crazy, no idea what you said.

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I think getting around the filibuster is what Clyburn is referring to. There are ways to subvert it.
    such as??
    Reconcilliation is the only other process, and voting rights is not a budget issue

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    such as??
    Reconcilliation is the only other process, and voting rights is not a budget issue
    Such as requiring the person demanding a filibuster to do it himself. The second he leaves the chamber it is over.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Speaking of crazy, no idea what you said.
    here'show it works:
    I quoted the OP
    I highlited the particular aspect of the OP I was responding to to make it clearer exactly what my response was towards

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Thanks for saying nothing, as usual. You don't like Dems....fascinting.
    obviously your post said nothing as well....