Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: top spending public school districts are also some of the worst-performing

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,780 Times in 32,146 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
    Yes, you did, claiming money does not help is the step before cutting funding, but you already know that.
    knowing that money isn't the problem SHOULD be a reason to not increase spending........but you already knew that.......
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

TOP (03-07-2021)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    I don't know the person's economic situation, but yeah -- the kids who have the best outcomes in school have the most involved parents.
    Actually I was not really serious that she should quit her job, as I really do not know her position. I was parroting how so often right leaners fall back on it is the lack of parenting. Yes it is very important Parents be actively involved in their child's life and schoolwork, far too many expect the Schools to do the raising of their child. It is why some are so desperate to get their kids physically back in schools, not their child's education. I do agree that children over all do better in a school with a class room setting and we should work hard to get them safe enough to do just that, safely being the Key word there, for the kids and for all those that work in the various ISD's.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-07-2021)

5. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TOP View Post
    And why do you think many schools systems are not doing just that? Especially the largest ones? When it's clear that type of system would be best for the students and teachers...and supported by parents/the community?
    Because if they did they would lose their funding.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

TOP (03-07-2021)

7. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,415 Times in 16,404 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because if they did they would lose their funding.
    So who's to blame?

8. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

So who's to blame?
    Federal government, State Government, Parents that continue to support it.

9. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Federal government, State Government, Parents that continue to support it.
    I don't know too many parents who support it...How do we get the government/unions to give education back to the teachers?

10. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Actually I was not really serious that she should quit her job, as I really do not know her position. I was parroting how so often right leaners fall back on it is the lack of parenting. Yes it is very important Parents be actively involved in their child's life and schoolwork, far too many expect the Schools to do the raising of their child. It is why some are so desperate to get their kids physically back in schools, not their child's education. I do agree that children over all do better in a school with a class room setting and we should work hard to get them safe enough to do just that, safely being the Key word there, for the kids and for all those that work in the various ISD's.
    Agree. I'm not sure why more places aren't putting educators at the front of the line when it comes to distributing the vaccine. You probably saw the controversy a week or so ago about the teachers and admin staff in one California school district overheard saying exactly what you just did -- too many of the parents just want a babysitter. That's exactly what my own daughter, a special ed teacher, has said about some of the families in her district. Not all parents, of course, are that way, but too many.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,492 Times in 52,722 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know too many parents who support it...How do we get the government/unions to give education back to the teachers?
    The unions have nothing to do with "teaching to the test." If you were actually a "retired teacher," you would know this. If you want education to return to how it was when you and I were in school, stop voting for politicians who are fine with the status quo. We both know which party *those* belong to, don't we?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,172 Times in 10,390 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Tiffany France is understandably upset. She is a mother of three who works three jobs to support her family.

Her 17-year-old son failed 22 classes in Baltimore and was late or absent 272 days over his first three years of high school.

As recently reported, France's son almost graduated near the top half of his class at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts after failing every class but three in four years. He has a 0.13 GPA. She thought her son would be graduating from the school in June.

According to Fox45 News "only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened."

BALTIMORE HS STUDENT FAILS ALL BUT 3 CLASSES OVER 4 YEARS, RANKS NEAR TOP HALF OF CLASS

France ultimately had to pull her 17-year-old son out of the school and enroll him in an accelerated program to allow him to graduate from high school in 2023.

Her story is tragically all-too-familiar. The coronavirus pandemic led to the closure of an already failing public school system
    We have a lost generation of kids who have neither the education nor the trained skills to succeed in society.

As teachers' unions fight to keep schools closed, the true cost is being felt by students who are racking up failing grades, dropping out of virtual classes, increasing drug use, and, in rising numbers, committing suicide.
    Obviously, she failed as a parent.

Top half as previously reported? Let’s see that “previous report”.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do see them fighting it at school meetings, do you.

Start as I said, stop tying funding to one bad test which needs to be dumped, then ISD's can run their show with a free hand.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Agree. I'm not sure why more places aren't putting educators at the front of the line when it comes to distributing the vaccine. You probably saw the controversy a week or so ago about the teachers and admin staff in one California school district overheard saying exactly what you just did -- too many of the parents just want a babysitter. That's exactly what my own daughter, a special ed teacher, has said about some of the families in her district. Not all parents, of course, are that way, but too many.
    Oh, I know not all are that way, many parents, kids and teachers really want to get back to school for the right reasons, but we must do it safely, or not at all. It should not be that hard.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

17. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do see them fighting it at school meetings, do you.

Start as I said, stop tying funding to one bad test which needs to be dumped, then ISD's can run their show with a free hand.
    This has been going on for many many years....they won't dump the testing...they just keep changing the name....but it's just another disaster...Teacher's hands are tied....they just want to teach and can't...
    And it's much worse now than it was....

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This has been going on for many many years....they won't dump the testing...they just keep changing the name....but it's just another disaster...Teacher's hands are tied....they just want to teach and can't...
    And it's much worse now than it was....
    Agree. Oh and there still needs to be testing but not the crap testing they have now and should be at the ISD level.

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Agree. Oh and there still needs to be testing but not the crap testing they have now and should be at the ISD level.
    Absolutely....two public systems can be just a few miles apart, with incredibly different needs....
    ("Crap testing" is being kind....it's unbelievable how awful it's been....)

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Absolutely....two public systems can be just a few miles apart, with incredibly different needs....
    ("Crap testing" is being kind....it's unbelievable how awful it's been....)
    Agree.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

TOP (03-07-2021)