Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: top spending public school districts are also some of the worst-performing

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default top spending public school districts are also some of the worst-performing

Tiffany France is understandably upset. She is a mother of three who works three jobs to support her family.

Her 17-year-old son failed 22 classes in Baltimore and was late or absent 272 days over his first three years of high school.

As recently reported, France's son almost graduated near the top half of his class at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts after failing every class but three in four years. He has a 0.13 GPA. She thought her son would be graduating from the school in June.

According to Fox45 News "only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened."

BALTIMORE HS STUDENT FAILS ALL BUT 3 CLASSES OVER 4 YEARS, RANKS NEAR TOP HALF OF CLASS

France ultimately had to pull her 17-year-old son out of the school and enroll him in an accelerated program to allow him to graduate from high school in 2023.

Her story is tragically all-too-familiar. The coronavirus pandemic led to the closure of an already failing public school system
    We have a lost generation of kids who have neither the education nor the trained skills to succeed in society.

As teachers' unions fight to keep schools closed, the true cost is being felt by students who are racking up failing grades, dropping out of virtual classes, increasing drug use, and, in rising numbers, committing suicide.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Some have denounced "meritocracy" as racist while others, including New York congressman, have recently attacked standardized tests as racist.

At the same time, officials are driving top-performing students from their systems in Boston, New York and other cities where advanced programs are being shut down or suspended.

The problem with objective and standardized testing is precisely that it is objective and standardized on performance.

The top spending public school districts are also some of the worst-performing school districts.
    New York topped the per capita spending at $24,040 per kid. Washington, D.C. is close at $22,759. Baltimore is often ranked in the top three per capita spending districts.

According to a 2019 study, over half of the New York City public school kids cannot handle basic math or English.

On tests, Asian kids show a 74.4 percent proficiency in math with a 66.6 proficiency for whites, a 33.2 percent proficiency for Hispanics, and a 28.2 percent proficiency for African Americans.

Thus, more than two-thirds of African American kids were not able to handle basic math in a school system with one of the highest per capita expenditures for students in the country.

In Washington, with the highest per capita spending on students, education officials "celebrated" a small improvement of scores in 2019. However, the scores would make most people cringe. Only 21.1 percent of Black students were proficient in math (as opposed to 78.8 percent for white students).

In Wisconsin, the 2019 scores (for students in grades 3 to 8 and grade 11) showed only 39.3% of students tested proficient or better in English/language and only 40.1% demonstrated a proficient or better understanding of math. Both showed drops. However, the racial disparity was particularly shocking. In the eighth grade, only 12.1 percent of Black students were proficient or advanced in English. There was still a 30 point gap for Black students.

The pandemic served a purpose for those opposing standardized tests. Due to the school closures, there have been delays, reductions, or outright cancellations of standardized testing in many districts.

So now students will not be going full-time to school and also not be tested on their proficiency in subjects in some districts.

It is as if they did not exist, which is precisely the problem. Politically, they do not seem to register in terms of importance or influence. They are useful objects for politicians who use them for campaigns for more money or power.

In New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio, for example, has proclaimed that public schools are a means to redistribute wealth as students continue to fail on every level in the system.

The problem is not standardized testing. It is the lack of education where a student with below a 1.0 GPA could qualify for cum laude recognition in Baltimore.

Decades and billions of dollars have been exhausted without significant improvement. However, the real cost of our failure is borne by these students who find little solace in knowing that their per capita expenditures continue to rise as their scores continue to fall or remain stagnant.

De Blasio may be successful in using public education for the redistribution of wealth but he, and other politicians, have done little in the equal distribution of education and opportunity.
    https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/fail...onathan-turley

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dukkha View Post
    Tiffany France is understandably upset. She is a mother of three who works three jobs to support her family.

Her 17-year-old son failed 22 classes in Baltimore and was late or absent 272 days over his first three years of high school.

As recently reported, France's son almost graduated near the top half of his class at Augusta Fells Savage Institute of Visual Arts after failing every class but three in four years. He has a 0.13 GPA. She thought her son would be graduating from the school in June.

According to Fox45 News "only one teacher requested a parent conference, which France says never happened."

BALTIMORE HS STUDENT FAILS ALL BUT 3 CLASSES OVER 4 YEARS, RANKS NEAR TOP HALF OF CLASS

France ultimately had to pull her 17-year-old son out of the school and enroll him in an accelerated program to allow him to graduate from high school in 2023.

Her story is tragically all-too-familiar. The coronavirus pandemic led to the closure of an already failing public school system
    We have a lost generation of kids who have neither the education nor the trained skills to succeed in society.

As teachers' unions fight to keep schools closed, the true cost is being felt by students who are racking up failing grades, dropping out of virtual classes, increasing drug use, and, in rising numbers, committing suicide.
    but, still, they are having better outcomes than rich snot-nosed kids of rich right wing parents who go to private schools all their lives, like trump and nancy devos. those two clowns didn't learn shit in school.

here are some of trump's worst spelling mistakes, far worse than any poverty stricken kid in Baltimore could create-

'Covfefe'

"The possibility of lasting peach"--Matthew Levitt
    @Levitt_Matt
    ·
    May 22, 2017
    Press statement
    @WhiteHouse
    says 1 goals of
    @POTUS
    Israel trip is "promote the possibility of lasting peach"

"W.H. Council"

"Unpresidented"

"Tapp my phones"

"No challenge is to great"

"Attaker,' "San Bernadino," "Denmakr"

"Hearby," "here by"

"Our deepest apologizes"

"Secretary of Educatuon"

"Thr coverage about me … gas been so false and angry"

"Honered to serve"

all of these stupid shit misspellings can be found in this link, plus some more-

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ed-to-serve-16

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-07-2021)

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,579 Times in 15,814 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,951 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    but, still, they are having better outcomes than rich snot-nosed kids of rich right wing parents who go to private schools all their lives, like trump and nancy devos. those two clowns didn't learn shit in school.

here are some of trump's worst spelling mistakes, far worse than any poverty stricken kid in Baltimore could create-
    LMAO at "spelling mistakes" WTF is that supposed to be about?
    You do know rich Dem officials send their kids to private schools? of course you dont.

So tell me why the $1.9 trillion bill is going to help kids get educated, when it's obviously not about the money ?

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,057 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 151 Times in 148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Maybe she give up one of her part time jobs and spend a little more time parenting.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    You do know rich Dem officials send their kids to private schools? of course you dont.

So tell me why the $1.9 trillion bill is going to help kids get educated, when it's obviously not about the money ?
    Do you know that rich Repub Reps also seen their kids to private schools, of course you don't.

Why is it the Repubs always have the same solution to making education in the US, Cut Funding?

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by CASPER View Post
    Do you know that rich Repub Reps also seen their kids to private schools, of course you don't.

Why is it the Repubs always have the same solution to making education in the US, Cut Funding?
    I do know -and you would do better then just paraphrasing my posts by using your own words
    who said anything about cutting funding?

the OP points out rich big city schools are failing NOT because of funding -do you have a solution ?
    or just mo money?

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Maybe she give up one of her part time jobs and spend a little more time parenting.
    LMAO
    you obviously have no knowledge of the working poor.

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,007 Times in 2,639 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 404 Times in 391 Posts

what part of your ass do you pull out these fantasy facts?

here is the amount for education in the Bill, which repubs hate the thought of so much....

Education & Labor $290 billion
    Provide funding for K-12 education $129 billion
    Provide funding for colleges and universities $40 billion

a total of 169 billion...or 7% of the Covid-Stimulus Package....Do you remember the size of the first Covid Bill democrats and repubs supported when asshole trump was president?

The Trump administration and Congress have enacted three separate coronavirus-relief packages at a total cost of more than $2 trillion.

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act was adopted 363-40, with every House Democrat and most Republicans voting in favor of the measure on March 14. The vote was conducted following two days of around-the-clock negotiations between Democratic leaders and Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin.

The Senate adopted the measure, 90-8, on March 18, with all Democrats voting yes. Trump signed the bill into law the same day.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoosier Daddy For This Post:

CASPER (03-07-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-07-2021)

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I do know -and you would do better then just paraphrasing my posts by using your own words
    who said anything about cutting funding?

the OP points out rich big city schools are failing NOT because of funding -do you have a solution ?
    or just mo money?
    Yes, you did, claiming money does not help is the step before cutting funding, but you already know that.

For starters stop teaching to a Nationalized test where funding depends on the results of that one test, they are not getting a real education if being taught to pass a specific test. Go back to mid-semester and final testing added to their general yearly performance to come up with a real grade, it worked for generations and we messed up by changing it.
    Look at schools that are doing great and study what they are doing, if it works for your ISD then adopt some of those policies and methods, as you guys say one size does not fit all.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CASPER For This Post:

domer76 (03-07-2021), ThatOwlWoman (03-07-2021)

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,663 Times in 16,591 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

'Covfefe'

"The possibility of lasting peach"--Matthew Levitt
    @Levitt_Matt
    ·
    May 22, 2017
    Press statement
    @WhiteHouse
    says 1 goals of
    @POTUS
    Israel trip is "promote the possibility of lasting peach"

"W.H. Council"

"Unpresidented"

"Tapp my phones"

"No challenge is to great"

"Attaker,' "San Bernadino," "Denmakr"

"Hearby," "here by"

"Our deepest apologizes"

"Secretary of Educatuon"

"Thr coverage about me … gas been so false and angry"

"Honered to serve"

all of these stupid shit misspellings can be found in this link, plus some more-

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ed-to-serve-16
    TDS
    How much is
    Sidwell's tuition now?
    https://www.sidwell.edu/about
    Last edited by TOP; 03-07-2021 at 07:28 AM.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,405 Times in 53,280 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't know the person's economic situation, but yeah -- the kids who have the best outcomes in school have the most involved parents.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

domer76 (03-07-2021), Hoosier Daddy (03-07-2021)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

but, still, they are having better outcomes than rich snot-nosed kids of rich right wing parents who go to private schools all their lives, like trump and nancy devos.
    actually I know a few of DeVos's kids.......one of her grand-nephews married a girl my son dated in high school......they're all doing quite fine........kids from inner city schools may also be a bit smarter than HD.......but then so are the mourning doves who returned to my yard this week after a cold winter.....
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,973 Times in 32,288 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, you did, claiming money does not help is the step before cutting funding, but you already know that.

For starters stop teaching to a Nationalized test where funding depends on the results of that one test, they are not getting a real education if being taught to pass a specific test. Go back to mid-semester and final testing added to their general yearly performance to come up with a real grade, it worked for generations and we messed up by changing it.
    Look at schools that are doing great and study what they are doing, if it works for your ISD then adopt some of those policies and methods, as you guys say one size does not fit all.
    urban blue city schools sucked before nationalized testing and after nationalized testing.........the OP is right......not only in Baltimore, but Buffalo NY, Detroit, DC.......districts that spend more per pupil than anywhere else continue to produce poor performance...........
    Isaiah 6:5
    “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,663 Times in 16,591 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

And why do you think many schools systems are not doing just that? Especially the largest ones? When it's clear that type of system would be best for the students and teachers...and supported by parents/the community?