Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Can you name one time in History where it was a good thing to ban or burn books?

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Comey didn’t think so
    Because his #2 changed the terms.

Strzok, who served as the No. 2 official leading the probe into the Clinton email server, has been thrust into the center of controversy after news of his dismissal from Comey's team. In July 2016, Comey said that Clinton's use of a private email server while secretary of State was "extremely careless," but he added that "no reasonable prosecutor" would charge her. Strzok changed the language from "grossly negligent" to "extremely careless".

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/363194-former-fbi-agent-changed-comeys-language-of-clinton-email-use-to

2. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    Comey didn’t think so
    Comey thought so but was overcome by the pressure from the AG, his boss, and the President. I believe that even you know that her gross negligence would have put me in prison because I would not have an AG and a President on my side. Political power, and IMHO corruption, saved her where nobody would have acted like that in my behalf if I had been even partially as irresponsible with SCI as she was.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Anyway, it isn't me ignoring facts in that case, Shrubs... It just isn't.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

4. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,487 Times in 52,490 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Peter Strzok, who served as a counterintelligence expert at the bureau, changed the description of Clinton's actions in Comey's statement, CNN reported...

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/363194-former-fbi-agent-changed-comeys-language-of-clinton-email-use-to

Changing "grossly negligent" to "extremely careless" avoided legal ramifications for the Hildebeast. An individual who mishandles classified material can be prosecuted under federal law for "gross negligence."

https://media1.tenor.com/images/88c3...temid=12160851
    Word choice. I would have gone with "grossly negligent" but I'm not a fucking lawyer.

Was a crime committed? If so, why didn't Trump do anything about it for four fucking years? Is this about Epstein again?
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

5. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,266 Times in 7,148 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,197 Times in 1,112 Posts

Dr. Seuss books have been around since before I was born in the early 50's. I remember owning a copy of the "Cat In The Hat" as a small child. Probably the only one I ever looked at.

And I do not see any problem with a publishing company taking their own product out of Syndication at their own choosing- if they deem the book to have racial overtones in it if they so choose to do so themselves.

And as far as I've read- THIS IS THE CASE!

It's their property- and it's their right to do so! NO ONE IS FORCING THEM TO TAKE THEIR OWN PRODUCT OFF THE MARKET!

If any of you assholes want to try and make a political statement out of this or blame liberals or Black people for this- I think you need to go and get a life and STFU! Go find you a butterfly to tear the wings off or something!

Next case please!
    Last edited by Geeko Sportivo; 03-05-2021 at 01:18 PM.

6. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Uncle View Post
    Word choice. I would have gone with "grossly negligent" but I'm not a fucking lawyer.
    You aren't much of anything, are you?

7. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,837 Times in 17,268 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

This is not a case of the government banning books. They had nothing to do with the publisher ending printing them. The Suess people thought the books were sending a bad message and they decided to end them. This is not akin to book burning or banning books. Go to a book store, buy them and hang them on the wall if you wish. They have not gone anywhere.

8. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    This is not a case of the government banning books.
    Maybe that's why nobody said it was, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdberg View Post
    Go to a book store, buy them and hang them on the wall if you wish.
    Give it a try and let the forum know how it goes.

9. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,487 Times in 52,490 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,514 Times in 2,471 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Maybe that's why nobody said it was, stupid.

Give it a try and let the forum know how it goes.
    Then why are you whining about it so much? Do you have a solution to offer or do you just like to bitch, whine and moan?

The books are for sale. As collectibles they are now higher priced. God Bless American capitalism!

Sorry, dude, if Trailer Park Nazi's (TPNs) like yourself have to recopy the books in crayon when you want to read and share them to each other. Blank books are still available just like crayons.
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

10. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Uncle View Post
    The books are for sale.
    Are they?

11. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Weeko Sportivo View Post
    NO ONE IS FORCING THEM TO TAKE THEIR OWN PRODUCT OFF THE MARKET!
    Nobody said anyone is "forcing them to take their own product off the market", did they?

12. #87 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

This reminds me a bit of Disney and the "Song of the South" movie... Does anybody remember that movie? I saw it in the theater and remember singing the one line I remembered over and over and driving my parents insane... "Zippy dee doo da, zippidy ay... my oh my what a wonderful day! Plenty of sunshine coming my way! Zippity doo dah, Zippity ay!" and "Mr. Blue bird on my shoulder".... Disney stopped selling the movie and just quietly shut up about it. They didn't make some huge announcement to show how awesomely woke they might be, they just took action. Seems to me like it may have been the right action. Also the right way to take it. Without all the self back slapping and self congratulations.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

13. #88 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    This is simple fact presented to you by someone who worked with the information. Socrates recently (he and I communicate elsewhere) was talking about that same fact. The reality is handling SCI (Sensitive Compartmentalized Information) is a step above normal classified info. The fact was they found (it was reported in the news as such) SCI info on her server (link to story from NBC about this is here: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ret-ig-n499886 ). This right here is enough to have put me in Leavenworth. The only thing that kept her out of prison was deliberate action by the politically powerful.
    Absolutely. It's not just Killary, remember Sandy Berger? Walked out of a SCIF with documents jammed in his underwear? I would have gotten 10 years, minimum, for that.

When I was at Goodfellow one of the guys in my company was Article 15'd because a Colonel decided to run a security exercise in the SCIF and wore a badge with Mickey Mouse's face instead of his. The guy didn't yell "Wagon Wheel" and got hooked up with an Article 15 for it. I guess security is just for the peons, Hillary belongs in jail for deliberately busting chain of custody for classified material but she'll never pay for it.
    Don't be afraid to see what you see

14. #89 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,785 Times in 17,104 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,344 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Interesting. This isn't cancelled.

15. #90 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 28 Times in 26 Posts

Its simple; You just look at who is doing the banning and burning. You have to do tit for tat. Thats the problem with the people who support the good - freedom - rights et al. such people do not fight back.
    The problem to day is for example, ALL big tech is owned by lefties who all want Biden in office. There is no alternative to Facebook - Twitter - Amazon - google - they are all anti Mr Trump. I cancelled my Twitter - Watsap - Amazon - Paypal accounts on principle. I admit communication processes were easier when I used them but I can't support such evil, controlling anti my rights organisations.
    Why would I?

LIFE IS SHORT - SMILE WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TEETH.

we must all learn to hear what we do not like - the questions is not, "is it pleasant?" but, "is it true?"

16. The Following User Groans At cordeela For This Awful Post:

Lightbringer (03-06-2021)