Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Americans are dying "in the prime of their lives," new report finds

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,496 Times in 9,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Default More Americans are dying "in the prime of their lives," new report finds

(CNN) Younger and middle-age Americans have been dying at higher rates over the past three decades, marking what is becoming a public health crisis across the US workforce.

Among the causes of death increasingly striking working-age Americans between 1990 and 2017 are drug overdose, alcohol use and suicides, according to a new report published Tuesday by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.

Cardiometabolic conditions, which include diabetes and heart diseases, are another major driver toward the trend that Americans are more likely to die before age 65 than those who live in other rich nations.

Young adults between ages 25 and 44 have grown up amid an obesity epidemic, often with unhealthy diets and a lack of safe, open space for exercise, the authors of the report point out.

"We're losing more and more Americans in the prime of their lives, in their most productive years and in their parenting years," said Kathleen Mullan Harris, a professor of sociology at the University of North Carolina. She chairs the Committee on Rising Midlife Mortality Rates and Socio-Economic Disparities, which authored the report.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/healt...ess/index.html

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 1,136 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 154 Times in 151 Posts
    Blog Entries

Media agitating.

Selling scary stories.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Underdog For This Post:

tinfoil (03-04-2021), War=Peace (03-03-2021)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,772 Times in 7,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,061 Times in 1,006 Posts

As a first wave boomer born immediately after the war, I see a problem emerging in subsequent generations.

Bill Clinton was born the same year as I and was elected to the presidency way back in 1992.

Then, in 2000, Dubya Bush was elected, also born the same year as Clinton and I.

In 2008, we got the only president ever significantly younger than I. The Kenyan Muslim, as the trumpanzees call him, was an aberration, bless his heart.

But in 2016, we elected an orangutan born the same year as I, Dubya, and Clinton. The only time three American presidents [I never made it] were born in the same year.

Then, in 2020, we really outdid ourselves and elected somebody significantly older than the president who was elected 28 years earlier in 1992!

Are subsequent generations dying young for the same reasons that they can't be elected president?
    Just a thought.
    Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. Samuel Johnson, 1775
    Religion....is the opiate of the people. Karl Marx, 1848
    Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. Kris Kristofferson, 1969

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Money Dolla View Post
    Media agitating.

Selling scary stories.
    /Thread
    DemoKKKrats: The dangerous fascist psychopaths Orwell warned us about.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to War=Peace For This Post:

tinfoil (03-04-2021), Underdog (03-05-2021)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,031 Times in 8,286 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,673 Times in 2,479 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by signalmankenneth View Post
    More Americans are dying "in the prime of their lives," new report finds
    The best correlation to trump voters is worsening health outcomes. Somehow trump is connected to this all, but no one really knows how.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Money Dolla View Post
    Media agitating. Selling scary stories.
    Cue the trump worshippers arguing that it is not a problem.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Walt For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (03-04-2021)

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The best correlation to trump voters is worsening health outcomes. Somehow trump is connected to this all, but no one really knows how.

Cue the trump worshippers arguing that it is not a problem.
    Mostly survivable virus

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    Mostly survivable virus
    America has lost a year of life expectancy to Covid-19. That is on top of life expectancy that has been lost over the last couple of years to whatever is causing trump voters to make stupid health discussions.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,419 Times in 7,538 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post

Are subsequent generations dying young for the same reasons that they can't be elected president?
    Just a thought.
    They’re dying young so they won’t be elected president. I’d rather have my eyes gouged out than be elected president.

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,030 Times in 12,560 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,404 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Blog Entries

More Americans are dying "in the prime of their lives," new report finds
    American society is in distress.

News @ 11.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

13. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    They’re dying young so they won’t be elected president. I’d rather have my eyes gouged out than be elected president.
    It takes quite a bit of work to be elected President. If you do not want to be elected President, simply do not run. There are other people who are willing to put the work in, so no need for you. You do not have to get your eyes gouged out, or anything.

There was a problem, especially early on in American history, that some candidates were working hard, but denying they were running. They would say, "I am not running", but then be campaigning with an "exploratory committee." This led to the Sherman Statement; basically, "If nominated, I will not run, and if elected, I will not serve."

Sherman Statement is an equivocating statement of not running, but I prefer the Udall Statement, "If nominated, I shall run to Mexico. If elected, I shall fight extradition."

Anyway, I doubt anyone is desperate to draft you as President.

14. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    American society is in distress.

News @ 11.
    Falling life expectancies is an issue, and it should not be happening in any country, much less a country we live in.

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Falling life expectancies is an issue, and it should not be happening in any country, much less a country we live in.
    No it should not but America has turned up lame...we have not been doing what we have needed to be doing....an entire generation was criminally irresponsible from the start and apparently to the finish as well.
    This illegal illegitimate regime that runs America is at fault...not me.... they do not represent me and I have long objected to their crimes against humanity.

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. In area after area – crime, education, housing, race relations – the situation has gotten worse after the bright new theories were put into operation. The amazing thing is that this history of failure and disaster has neither discouraged the social engineers nor discredited them.
    Thomas Sowell

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye10 View Post
    No it should not but America has turned up lame...we have not been doing what we have needed to be doing....an entire generation was criminally irresponsible from the start and apparently to the finish as well.
    Before Covid-19, all Americans, other than trump worshippers, had rising life expectancies, so you cannot blame America. It is one slice of America that is having a problem, which cuts across generations.

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Before Covid-19, all Americans, other than trump worshippers, had rising life expectancies, so you cannot blame America. It is one slice of America that is having a problem, which cuts across generations.
    The spiritual crisis in America has been growing for many decades, as Western Civilization stultified and began to fail to be able to regenerate to fit our realities.

It is the crisis of our spiritual life that causes the current crisis of our physical beings.

As the collapse continues things will get worse.