Thread: The most useless university degrees

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,323 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    Every time I go to Starbucks and order a black coffee I laugh at the guy behind the counter with his useless degree. I have a BS in engineering.
    People who go to Starbucks for ANY coffee, much less black coffee, are not too bright. Certainly, not smart enough to be laughing at the person serving them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Cypress (03-03-2021)

3. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 83,418 Times in 53,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,661 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    You sound like a cruel and soulless life form.

I earned a degree which is generally not thought of as conventionally useful, and had to drive a bakery truck for 6 months before I was able to line my ducks up.
    I've had that useless piece of protoplasm on ignore for quite a while, but did read his post via your excellent response to it. Hope he sees this post:

Mr. Owl has a BS in Engineering too. He has a Masters in Economics. He retired young from a career as a software engineer/systems architect. He is wealthy. He is a brilliant, kind, wonderful man who loves to dine out with me. He grew up on a farm in Illinois, and has worked since he was 13 yo. He is a real man... he would never, ever laugh at any person who serves us when we eat out or get take-out. He once held a job like that. Who does that kind of thing?

Answer: Only the dickless.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals." -- Mark Twain

4. The Following User Groans At ThatOwlWoman For This Awful Post:

MAGA MAN (03-03-2021)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

christiefan915 (03-03-2021), Cypress (03-03-2021), Doc Dutch (03-03-2021), domer76 (03-03-2021)

6. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    I heard you were fired for stalking the women who worked in the bakery.

He liked to put a bun in their oven.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-03-2021)

8. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 69,459 Times in 52,471 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,513 Times in 2,470 Posts
    Blog Entries

That is an incredibly stupid bet to propose since you cannot prove any of it. More importantly, I do not discuss salaries or pensions with strangers or losers.
    Agreed. Not to mention Yakuda has no intention of paying under one pretense or another.

Salaries are relative. It depends on the local economy.

Food is often about the same cost. Same for lattes at Starbucks, albeit 50 cents here and there.

Mainly it's the cost of rent and utilities. Making salary or paycheck different depending upon which State and in/near which city.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state
    God bless America and those who defend our Constitution.

"Hatred is a failure of imagination" - Graham Greene, "The Power and the Glory"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (03-03-2021)

10. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,989 Times in 11,516 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,459 Times in 2,200 Posts

Learning be no good.

11. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuda View Post
    I only ever drink black coffee and order it that way but I always know who has the PhD behind the counter, it's the one that asks if I want room for milk.
    You like your coffee like your women? Cold and bitter?

If there's a PhD behind the counter, he's studying how idiots who can't even zip up their pants can earn a BS in engineering and still pay $5 for a Starbucks coffee.

12. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,695 Times in 27,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Whores gotta whore. It's telling when a particular troll starts 100s of threads about "teachers in the news" and constantly denigrates higher education. Revealing... very revealing.

I hope you're not too disappointed but I did not take physics, calculus, or chemistry in h.s.
    Not in the least! I was a late bloomer and did not take calculus until sophmore year in college! I tried to stick to the academic track in HS, but I was not keeping up with the AP geeks!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (03-03-2021)

14. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,695 Times in 27,333 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Agreed. Not to mention Yakuda has no intention of paying under one pretense or another.

Salaries are relative. It depends on the local economy.

Food is often about the same cost. Same for lattes at Starbucks, albeit 50 cents here and there.

Mainly it's the cost of rent and utilities. Making salary or paycheck different depending upon which State and in/near which city.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state
    My philosophy is, I would rather have some creative and intellectual autonomy, and enjoy what I do, than make my life's focus about money and material possessions.

We all have a baseline of income we desire to be comfortable, but after that making our lives and careers meaningful depends on intangibles beyond mere money. I would not have traded what I did even if someone offered me three times the salary for something I considered less palatable.

If asked, I never advise a young adult to focus on engineering, computer science, or medical school, unless they have a strong interest in it.

If I am reincarnated, I will pursue a philosophy or oceanography degree in my next life!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Doc Dutch (03-03-2021), domer76 (03-03-2021)

16. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Unfortunately, I stopped reading at the second paragraph because I am not that interested in your life.

If you want to walk into Starbucks and laugh at the employees making your coffee, that is your choice.
    My point is that I planned a career path where I could make a good living almost anywhere. The training was often difficult and arduous, but it has given me gainful employment though most of my college career and for decades afterwards. Those who chose an easier path or did no planning whatsoever deserve their lot in life.

17. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    People who go to Starbucks for ANY coffee, much less black coffee, are not too bright. Certainly, not smart enough to be laughing at the person serving them.
    I've always had a great cup of coffee at Starbucks. Locally, in any major city, and at many foreign countries. And their bathrooms are clean and free. Try finding a clean bathroom near Times Square otherwise.

18. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    You like your coffee like your women? Cold and bitter?

If there's a PhD behind the counter, he's studying how idiots who can't even zip up their pants can earn a BS in engineering and still pay $5 for a Starbucks coffee.
    No doubt he'll study that for the next 35 or 40 years. Meanwhile, those who can, do.

19. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

I must admit that getting a degree in ancient Lithuanian history wasn't a good idea.

20. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My philosophy is, I would rather have some creative and intellectual autonomy, and enjoy what I do, than make my life's focus about money and material possessions.

We all have a baseline of income we desire to be comfortable, but after that making our lives and careers meaningful depends on intangibles beyond mere money. I would not have traded what I did even if someone offered me three times the salary for something I considered less palatable.

If asked, I never advise a young adult to focus on engineering, computer science, or medical school, unless they have a strong interest in it.

If I am reincarnated, I will pursue a philosophy or oceanography degree in my next life!
    Agreed, but I've seen a lot of people go for the money and only the money. Always buying the newest car, the biggest house, etc.

A few years ago I was on an overnight trip to exciting Manhattan, Kansas. The hotel, a nice one, was next to the University and most of the staff were students. Our van driver/desk clerk was a med student. He was trying to decide between cardiology or sports medicine. I told him exactly what you just pointed out; go with what makes you most passionate. You'll make enough money either way.

That advice goes for any career path, not just the STEM ones. Bankers and teachers can be unhappy too as well as anyone else who went down a path for money, not passion.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Dutch For This Post:

Cypress (03-04-2021)

22. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by China Joe View Post
    No doubt he'll study that for the next 35 or 40 years. Meanwhile, those who can, do.
    LOL. Great job stereotyping. College is expensive. Most students graduate with $150-200K (a mistake IMO). No one can really afford to be a professional student unless Mommy and Daddy are footing the bill all the way to keep junior away from the Country Club.

23. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,323 Times in 10,512 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,917 Times in 4,233 Posts
    Blog Entries

I had a fine career that made a difference without needing the monetary wealth some people lust for. If I had to do it over again, I often think I would pursue teaching as a career. Thise were dome of the people who made a difference in my life. I remember their names and how they affected my life 50+ years later.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Cypress (03-04-2021)